2023 FIFA Women's World Cup

Nice to see male commentators getting the chance to break the glass ceiling, even if it is only at 3.30am.

Be interesting to know how the HBS operation compares to the men's World Cup

(21-07-2023, 03:32 AM)RhysJR Wrote:  Not the biggest surprise that the 03:30 BST kick-off (Nigeria v. Canada) on BBC Two has no studio presentation. An all-male BBC commentary team though with Steven Wyeth and (Lewes FC women coach) Scott Booth; I know Sky did the same on a few occasions during their WSL coverage but still quite a novelty.
I wonder if the USA matches in the middle of the night will have studio presentation particularly the repeat of the 2019 final USA v Netherlands.

Both opening matches peaked at 900 000 viewers on BBC and ITV.

twitter.com 

There has been some online anger about a pontentially seixst comment during the Channel 7 commentary of Australia's opening game. The article below also states that the opening game had extremely positive ratings in Australia, being the most watched programme of the day and more than doubling the viewers of Channel 9's Ashes coverage.

PS: It is nice to here David Basheer does actually exist outside of the Olympic world feed rota, one of those name I only hear every four/two years!

www.theguardian.com 
[-] The following 1 user Likes RhysJR's post:
  • Happy2001

Article on ITV's coverage and studio.

Confirmation that matches before 0700 will be without studio coverage and it looks like ITV will not go out to Australia for the closing stages (they don't have either semi-final so that's fair really). Interesting they say they signed up a lot of the crew before they had the rights confirmed.

www.svgeurope.org 
[-] The following 2 users Like RhysJR's post:
  • Happy2001, UTVLifer

(21-07-2023, 09:37 AM)Newshound47 Wrote:  I wonder if the USA matches in the middle of the night will have studio presentation particularly the repeat of the 2019 final USA v Netherlands.
Not sure if it just because it's Friday night/Saturday morning rather than a weekday, but there is studio coverage on BBC One this morning with Reshmin Choudhury and co.

Though unlike yesterday, there's no BBC specific commentary, rather the solo world feed commentary of Steve Wilson is being heard, who is the BBC's (men's) de facto No.2 so a logical choice of any world feed commentary to utilise on BBC coverage.

(21-07-2023, 03:09 AM)Medianext.MX Wrote:  Optus Sport is the domestic rights holder, and will air all 64 matches. FTA and radio rights have been sublicensed to Seven (instead of SBS as customary, but makes sense given the importance of the event domestically, they will air 15 matches FTA between the main network and digital channel 7mate in order to accommodate NRL matches, specially in NSW, Queensland and WA, and the 5-7pm lineup which includes The Chase Australia and local news), the ABC Local Radio network and SEN. Both Optus and Seven will have stadium positions at Stadium Australia and during Aussie matches. Over in NZ, Sky is the rights holder, with Prime airing selected matches FTA.

And, in the case of Australia's first match, it was a rousing success, despite the strong Ashes competition:

tvtonight.com.au 

Here's how HBS is doing the games:
twitter.com 
twitter.com 
www.sportsvideo.org 

And here's a look at some of the match graphics (including the ugly scoreboard), which are very similar to the Qatar graphics, but reskinned. All pictures courtesy Media Spy.

[Image: 07beff68ef3b81d648af88e4b5f388737d453693.jpeg]
[Image: 4d9362d4791dc2092ae74d4c924c5707123ec1f9.jpeg]
[Image: e2519626e2988ac0483dec7a8dd87cefc6a70206.jpeg]
[Image: 5ec7665be704c2c643f4a62a89ada0632d4c649f.jpeg]
[Image: fbb358d5595167610431610f8b113ed0821b999a.jpeg]
[Image: ad05b9fe499282df36a1d1e804f1e382e1f02ed4.jpeg]

And, once again, Fox surprises with an enormous studio overlooking Sydney Harbor and the Opera House:

www.foxsports.com 
www.sportsvideo.org 

They stuck mostly to the world feed graphics, but, as customary with US sporting TV, they added a lot of clutter to the scoreboard (including counting any substitutions like they do timeouts for NFL or NBA):

[Image: f0c4a981f86473410dd2e9b69bcba3cf0e36396e.jpeg]

The Fox Sports set looks amazing in UHD. I haven’t seen the Telemundo set as I don’t have a local affiliate but I’ve caught their matches.

First are any in the UK being in UHD (up resized from 1080p HDR or otherwise?)

In this US…

I’m watching it on Fox and Fox Sports 1 in UHD HDRand it looks pretty good although they’re likely taking a 1080p HDR feed and upscaling it.

When I search for 4K on my X1 (Comcast) remote it lists the Telemundo Sports streams on the app as UHD HDR. I haven’t heard/read anything from Comcast/Telemundo/Peacock about this. I wonder if they’re using this as a test for UHD live streaming for the upcoming Olympics. The Peacock “UHD” looks better than Fox’s.
[-] The following 1 user Likes rkolsen's post:
  • Medianext.MX

I am bit surprised there is only two pundits on ITV this morning for what is their biggest guaranteed match.

Have they someone on location too though?

Of course ITV ran their Champions League coverage for years with just the one pundit (usually Terry Venables) and now we're used to 3 as standard - though three times the build up usually too.

RTE did world feed coverage for Zambia v Japan this morning, with highlights of Thursday’s Australia v Republic of Ireland game filling half time

(22-07-2023, 12:05 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Have they someone on location too though?

Of course ITV ran their Champions League coverage for years with just the one pundit (usually Terry Venables) and now we're used to 3 as standard - though three times the build up usually too.

Jill Scott was pitchside with Katie Shanahan. I assume Scott has a role outside of ITV (like an ambassador for something or a pundit on another channel) as it seems a bit of a waste for one of the few female pundits that is well known outside of sport (with her I'm a Celeb victory) to only appear briefly on England games.

The BBC are surprisingly using world feed commentary for their highlights of the England game, though once again a familiar BBC voice in Simon Brotherton so not a noticeable saving for those not in the know.