BBC Breakfast (June 2023 - Present)

I'm assuming there will be no significant changes to the running order of Breakfast as of tomorrow, with the 15 minute extension to 9:30am - e.g. I can see them adding in another full TOTH run down of the top news stories + weather forecast between 9:00 - 9:15am, with the final "fluff" report / guest on sofa interview pushed back to 9:15 - 9:30am. I also imagine they will still allow for the cut-away at 9am for the benefit of BBC News channel viewers.
[-] The following 2 users Like Reith85's post:
  • interestednovice, Superman1986

Yes, I think the main benefit will be that you will get a proper TOTH at 9am as well as other hours, when previously 9am was a rushed transition into the final interview fluff slot. I expect the NC will still leave at 8:59, with a sting, ahead of the 9am TOTH. They can then hand over live, in vision, to the Morning Live team on BBC One.

Longer term, they may opt to simulcast the additional half-hour on the NC but I doubt they will initially.
[-] The following 2 users Like interestednovice's post:
  • Reith85, UTVLifer

(01-01-2024, 04:18 PM)interestednovice Wrote:  Yes, I think the main benefit will be that you will get a proper TOTH at 9am as well as other hours, when previously 9am was a rushed transition into the final interview fluff slot. I expect the NC will still leave at 8:59, with a sting, ahead of the 9am TOTH. They can then hand over live, in vision, to the Morning Live team on BBC One.

Longer term, they may opt to simulcast the additional half-hour on the NC but I doubt they will initially.

Presumably the nation/region opt point will be brought forward slightly so it falls before 0900 providing a neat opportunity for the news channel to opt out at the same time.
[-] The following 2 users Like m_in_m's post:
  • interestednovice, Reith85

Either that or it will be put back slightly to after the 9am TOTH, and the NC will leave with a sting as now.
[-] The following 1 user Likes interestednovice's post:
  • Reith85

(01-01-2024, 06:32 PM)m_in_m Wrote:  Presumably the nation/region opt point will be brought forward slightly so it falls before 0900 providing a neat opportunity for the news channel to opt out at the same time.

I’m imagining a Morning Live preview around 9am which would be a neat opt point.
[-] The following 2 users Like steve's post:
  • interestednovice, UTVLifer

(30-12-2023, 02:32 AM)Mike Wrote:  Weirdly, in context in the throw to the weather I can accept it, but as an article - which someone has been paid, through our taxes, to write which is nothing more than blowing smoke up a colleague's backside because they did what thousands of other people do every year - it's just lazy 'journalism'.

Out of interest, did they run a story when she got divorced in 2008 as well?

The BBC isn’t funded via taxes.

Volunteering. It's #GoodForYou!
[-] The following 3 users Like Moz's post:
  • Michael Wotton, Stuart, Transmission

Infact, there’ll be a longer regional opt at 9.10am.

x.com 
[-] The following 8 users Like lookoutwales's post:
  • harshy, interestednovice, Michael 18, Quantum+83, Reith85, Spencer, TJTSW, UTVLifer

The fact it is airing at 0910 suggests the running order around 9am might not be changing, as surely it’d air at 0857 if there was going to a proper TOTH

Not necessarily, I could imagine a “close” sting at 8:59, cut back to a welcome to Breakfast ahead of the TOTH, and then headlines at 9:00am before a brief look at the top story and then regional opt at 9:10. After the regional opt, the usual interview and softer fluff until the end of the programme.

The benefit of that format is that it allows the NC to leave Breakfast and then go almost straight into the TOTH. If they had to leave at an opt point at 8:56 or 8:57, they’d have to awkwardly fill until 9:00am - either with extended trailers, or with a precisely-timed weather forecast which the Breakfast weather presenter would have to find time to record. Neither option would be optimal, so leaving at 8:59 makes much better sense.
[-] The following 2 users Like interestednovice's post:
  • MLehon, Reith85

(01-01-2024, 06:32 PM)m_in_m Wrote:  Presumably the nation/region opt point will be brought forward slightly so it falls before 0900 providing a neat opportunity for the news channel to opt out at the same time.
Considering they've not taken the opportunity for the last few years to give the news channel a nice clean opt out point around 9am I don't think they're going to start now.