BBC Breakfast (June 2023 - Present)

(02-01-2024, 12:50 AM)Brekkie Wrote:  Considering they've not taken the opportunity for the last few years to give the news channel a nice clean opt out point around 9am I don't think they're going to start now.

They do everyday.
“You’re watching Breakfast, it’s 8:59”
Channel opts after the sting.
[-] The following 6 users Like JexedBack's post:
  • AndrewP, arbrax, interestednovice, Reith85, Stuart, Transmission

I wonder what the 3m15s 0910hrs regions opt will form of, will it be longer indepth versions of the normal opt out headlines or will it include lighter storie/a wider mix of local news?

The normal TOTH opts are 3m15s at Breakfast, so presumably just more of the same?
[-] The following 1 user Likes steve's post:
  • interestednovice

(02-01-2024, 12:15 AM)interestednovice Wrote:  Not necessarily, I could imagine a “close” sting at 8:59, cut back to a welcome to Breakfast ahead of the TOTH, and then headlines at 9:00am before a brief look at the top story and then regional opt at 9:10. After the regional opt, the usual interview and softer fluff until the end of the programme.

And this is exactly what happened Smile
[-] The following 3 users Like steve's post:
  • AndrewP, interestednovice, Reith85

I’m not surprised - this is the BBC, they don’t like to rock the boat!

A proper headline sequence at 9am does make sense too.
[-] The following 1 user Likes interestednovice's post:
  • Reith85

Is there a particular reason the regional news is at 9:10, rather than continuing the familiar pattern of having it just before the top and bottom of the hour?

I imagine for the sake of the NC.

They would have to take extended trailers, an extra weather forecast or a final (borderline irrelevant) BBC London bulletin (because that’s the feed the NC takes during Breakfast) if the regional news was just before 9. By having it just after 9, the NC has conveniently “already left” the broadcast, and it also allows those getting up late to see a proper summary of the news - this way, if you switch on at 9, you get TOTH headlines, some coverage of the top story of the morning, plus a regional headlines summary within a few minutes. You lose that “overview” if you have the regional news before 9 - and, although this might not be something featuring in the minds of many regular Breakfast viewers, a lot of people do get up late!
[-] The following 4 users Like interestednovice's post:
  • AndrewP, Jeff, Spencer, Stuart

It’s basically a very easy way to fill 15 mins with no extra content

Just run another TOTH which will be a repeat of the other hours, another regional bulletin, which will be just like the earlier ones, and then push back the light fluff slot

Morning Live’s extension will actually involve extra content though I assume
[-] The following 5 users Like Andrew's post:
  • AndrewP, interestednovice, Jeff, Spencer, Stuart

Am I the only one who's noticed them getting more inconsistent with timings lately? The regional news has started as late as :00 or :30 past the hour a few times recently, and had to be cut short after 1 story and a quick weather summary at least once this week.

(05-01-2024, 08:52 AM)what Wrote:  Am I the only one who's noticed them getting more inconsistent with timings lately? The regional news has started as late as :00 or :30 past the hour a few times recently, and had to be cut short after 1 story and a quick weather summary at least once this week.
They are definitely more lax than they once were, but I'd say the inconsistencies have been there for a few years now at least. And I don't think it's as off-schedule as the old News channel's clockface timetable used to sometimes be, where they could be running up to 10 mins late by the BOTH.
[-] The following 3 users Like DTV's post:
  • AndrewP, interestednovice, Superman1986