The BBC Chameleon Thread

Not sure if this is the right place to post this but since the announcement that BBC Podcasts that are available on other platforms will contain adverts, I have noticed that they are now showing the whole radio station name, not just the number, on the program icon. I have attached what I mean below. Must be a small way to fully direct them into sounds or the actual station itself.

[-] The following 2 users Like J102B's post:
  • arbrax, Spencer

(27-03-2024, 04:36 PM)J102B Wrote:  Not sure if this is the right place to post this but since the announcement that BBC Podcasts that are available on other platforms will contain adverts, I have noticed that they are now showing the whole radio station name, not just the number, on the program icon. I have attached what I mean below. Must be a small way to fully direct them into sounds or the actual station itself.

Looks much better and no idea why they went for the number in the corner to begin with
[-] The following 3 users Like thomalex's post:
  • alfiejmulcahy, Jonny, LDN

(28-03-2024, 11:55 AM)thomalex Wrote:  Looks much better and no idea why they went for the number in the corner to begin with
Seemed to be an outlying holdover from the previous style.

Hopefully they apply this style update to BBC Sounds too.

I’m sure both styles have co-existed since Sounds was Reithed. It’s definitely not the first time I’ve seen ‘Radio [whatever]’ centred at the bottom of programme/podcast artwork, although the bottom right number style seems much more common. Why there’s no consistency, I’ve no idea.

(28-03-2024, 03:49 PM)Spencer Wrote:  I’m sure both styles have co-existed since Sounds was Reithed. It’s definitely not the first time I’ve seen ‘Radio [whatever]’ centred at the bottom of programme/podcast artwork, although the bottom right number style seems much more common. Why there’s no consistency, I’ve no idea.

All I can think of is some of the artwork was hard to adjust for a central element at the bottom so there was a transition style with the number in the right which was similar to the previous layout.
[-] The following 1 user Likes thomalex's post:
  • Spencer

I’ve always believed it’s so that the artwork fits both circular and square layouts, circular being how the station live streams are presented on Sounds. The central “Radio 4” would get cut off in a circle, and while the same is technically true for the right side numeral, it doesn’t matter as the UI of the live stream places the full colour numeral of the radio station on top of the circular thumbnail in the bottom right corner anyway.

The podcast rss images (which I presume Spotify are using) have always been different to the BBC Programmes image (which Sounds use).

I personally am not a fan of including the station roundel and BBC logo on the BBC Programmes page. It still feels like overkill since they started introducing it... must be around 3 years ago now!

There are some podcasts that still have the previous style, which was generally the station logo (in various sizes!) in the top-left corner, a relevant image, a little branding flourish and programme name - I think in Franklin Gothic.
I won't send a current programme in case they notice, but here's an example on an older podcast
ichef.bbci.co.uk 
Web Image

At school they taught me how to be
So pure in thought and word and deed
They didn't quite succeed...
[-] The following 1 user Likes AndrewP's post:
  • Spencer

Not sure if anyone's noticed but the BBC logo on the Colourblocks intro appears to be off. The letters look like they're too thin. imgur.com 
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chad Blake's post:
  • interestednovice

(01-04-2024, 12:40 PM)Chad Blake Wrote:  Not sure if anyone's noticed but the BBC logo on the Colourblocks intro appears to be off. The letters look like they're too thin. imgur.com 

Good to see the BBC bringing back some traditions
[-] The following 4 users Like bilky asko's post:
  • Allanbuzzy, interestednovice, Ma76, thePineapple

Slightly ironic as the people behind Colourblocks are the people behind the CBeebies presentation…!
[-] The following 3 users Like steve's post:
  • interestednovice, Ma76, SlimyTrain