The BBC Chameleon Thread

As much as we’ve established how the old branding can still slip through, it doesn’t quite explain how things like this can happen…

(03-05-2024, 06:56 PM)RDJ Wrote:  As much as we’ve established how the old branding can still slip through, it doesn’t quite explain how things like this can happen…

Dare I say that I quite like it? Much warmer and more legible than the current BBC One look
[-] The following 5 users Like LargelyALurker's post:
  • AndrewP, GeeTeeKay474, insert_good_username_here, mixchris, WMD

The BBC logo is current, and the ‘one’ is current, as seen every night on The One Show, so what’s the problem? Wink
[-] The following 2 users Like Spencer's post:
  • insert_good_username_here, LargelyALurker

Well, it certainly gives you all the programme info in an easier to read and clearer fashion than the current look...
[-] The following 2 users Like rick's post:
  • insert_good_username_here, LargelyALurker

BBC Four are showing some Michael Palin art programmes tonight as it’s his birthday. They are currently showing a repeat of an episode of Ex:S from 1997, but for some reason appear to have stuck the new BBC logo on the opening titles. (Yes, it’s in widescreen).

up.metropol247.co.uk 
Web Image

[Image: 1592580878_1869298444.svg]
[-] The following 2 users Like VMPhil's post:
  • Happy2001, insert_good_username_here

And at the end of the programme, a very old BBC logo!

up.metropol247.co.uk 
Web Image

[Image: 1592580878_1869298444.svg]
[-] The following 8 users Like VMPhil's post:
  • AndrewP, Happy2001, insert_good_username_here, LargelyALurker, LDN, RhysJR, thePineapple, TJTSW

Weird. Adding that logo at the start means this is a new edit, so why weren't the credits updated to the current branding and year?
[-] The following 1 user Likes JAS84's post:
  • insert_good_username_here

A very early widescreen production then, a year before digital and it even being able to be shown that way, can't have been much else made in 16:9 in 1997 apart from some dramas.
[-] The following 1 user Likes James2001's post:
  • insert_good_username_here

That reminds me of a query I've had for a while: when did the BBC start adding a fade of the blocks at the beginning of programmes, and when did it stop being prescribed?

At school they taught me how to be
So pure in thought and word and deed
They didn't quite succeed...

(06-05-2024, 02:29 AM)AndrewP Wrote:  That reminds me of a query I've had for a while: when did the BBC start adding a fade of the blocks at the beginning of programmes, and when did it stop being prescribed?

That's been the case I believe since at least 2011, as an archive post on the blue place suggests.
I think its been longer than that though, possibly since the 1997 rebrand?