The BBC Chameleon Thread

Based purely on the thumbnails, anything on Disney+ that started life on the Disney channels seems to have the Disney logo / wording seemingly become part of the branding for the show, even if it is just stuck on top of the main logo.

Having picked something at random, seems to have the case since at least 2005, maybe longer.

So definitely not unique to CBBC/CBeebies, though the Disney logo can be a bit more discreet than the blocks. I presume Nickelodeon has the same idea as well.

(06-05-2024, 02:12 PM)AndrewP Wrote:  I don't think so, two current programmes that come to mind that are void of logo is Homes Under The Hammer and Songs of Praise.
Nor did The Traitors.
I do remember seeing a programme - I think a little documentary - that had the Reith blocks fade in at the beginning. It does look a bit odd with them, the subtle fade didn't really suit the Reith blocks.

I had a quick flick through Miranda as I remembered they used to fade the blocks after the first joke or so.
Series 1 and 2 has them, Series 3 (Boxing Day 2012-Jan2013) didn't have them, but the two specials (Christmas 2014 & NYD 2015) did.
Could be a real rabbit hole to go down to pinpoint when it stopped being widely used.

Countryfile has the Reith blocks at the beginning and I agree, it looks odd. Probably because we’re so used to seeing them flying about.

They’re animated on the Casualty opening titles. I don’t think the animation is always appropriate to be honest.

[Image: 1592580878_1869298444.svg]

(06-05-2024, 03:51 PM)Neil Jones Wrote:  So definitely not unique to CBBC/CBeebies, though the Disney logo can be a bit more discreet than the blocks. I presume Nickelodeon has the same idea as well.
They do - must've been around the year 2000 when they started doing it, as seen on the title card of As Told By Ginger, there are versions with and without a Nickelodeon logo.
logos.fandom.com 

The 2024 Eurovision Song Contest 1st Semi Final uses the old Gill Sans BBC Studios logo at the end, despite them using the new Reith BBC logo all over the coverage and in & around Liverpool in 2023.
[-] The following 2 users Like Juicy Joe's post:
  • Brekkie, fanoftv

On Breakfast this morning just before 8am (may be on iPlayer) they did an interview/promo for The Responder.

At the end of which they showed a slide for it, which as well as using the old BBC logo used the old BBC One logo. It does make me wonder how the heck the old BBC One logo got used, considering any TV trailers for The Responder would have used the current channel logo. I can only assume that someone quickly knocked up a promo slide for it themselves, rather than sourcing something official from marketing.

Formerly 'Charlie Wells' of TV Forum.

Look, I'm used to the BBC Chameleon branding but I'm still trying to get used to the current BBC logo! Wouldn't Chameleon work with the old logo?

Jgriffin

(08-05-2024, 02:01 PM)Keith Wrote:  On Breakfast this morning just before 8am (may be on iPlayer) they did an interview/promo for The Responder.

At the end of which they showed a slide for it, which as well as using the old BBC logo used the old BBC One logo. It does make me wonder how the heck the old BBC One logo got used, considering any TV trailers for The Responder would have used the current channel logo. I can only assume that someone quickly knocked up a promo slide for it themselves, rather than sourcing something official from marketing.

I've since managed to find it on the iPlayer and screenshot it...

Old BBC One and iPlayer logos, which animated on screen.

Formerly 'Charlie Wells' of TV Forum.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Keith's post:
  • Josh Griffin

(08-05-2024, 02:51 PM)Keith Wrote:  I've since managed to find it on the iPlayer and screenshot it...

Old BBC One and iPlayer logos, which animated on screen.

Will the BBC just make up their mind?! 1997 or 2021? They haven't even changed the logo on their HQ yet!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Jgriffin

The Beeb really needs to get their branding guidelines straightened out soon, because the logo shenanigans is getting ridiculous.
[-] The following 11 users Like JosiahStuart's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, Brekkie, callumwatchestelly, DeMarkay, fanoftv, GeeTeeKay474, GMc, IanJRedman, JamieD, Josh Griffin