TV pres music released as singles

(02-07-2023, 02:34 PM)AaronLancs Wrote:  Hands up, Pres Caffers. Who has this still? I do!

youtu.be 

Yep, I've still got my copy. Incidentally, I see it's still available to buy direct from David Lowe:

davidlowemusic.com 

Something not available anymore, to my knowledge, is the ATV startup theme, Midland Parade by Johnny Pearson, which was on the B-side of the single release of the theme to General Hospital (albeit a slightly different version).

youtu.be 
[-] The following 1 user Likes Spencer's post:
  • Ma76

Wasn't the GMTV theme from 1993 released on CD - not a mix used on air but a mix of various tracks of various length.

Great thread! A fellow music graduate here, enjoying all of these posts. I’ll have a think of anything that fits this bill…

A little diversion from the main thread, but as somebody who now works in church music I enjoyed our evening service the other week when one of our hymns contained the word ‘oneness’ and the psalm the word ‘fourscore’!

Incidentally, a repost from the blue place but it’s nearly five years since I managed to work in a couple of recognisable themes before evensong at St Paul’s Cathedral (where I was working at the time) to mark anniversaries of LWT and Thames which fell in that week.

youtu.be 
[-] The following 1 user Likes madmusician's post:
  • Ma76

(03-07-2023, 06:09 PM)Mike Wrote:  Wasn't the GMTV theme from 1993 released on CD - not a mix used on air but a mix of various tracks of various length.

There was something similar on Youtube but it seems to have gone.

The Morning Overture by Richard Hill AKA the TVS theme tune

youtu.be 

And on Spotify
open.spotify.com 

There's also an album on Spotify (and presumably other streaming services) of 1950s ITV startup music. The ones I'm familiar with seem to be the original recordings...

open.spotify.com 

The ATV March was also on the ITV50 album of themes.

Someone called Nigel Cash has remade some ITV Startup themes:
www.youtube.com 

As I found today on my way to Oxford, this music, on loop, is perfect for train and Tube journeys. And it's available for download:

soundcloud.com 

(Note the alternate mix and added strings in the Rain Drops ident.)

You can also find the soundtracks for a few other S4C and Sky idents on Freefarm's SoundCloud if you scroll down far enough.

Love the whole S4C aesthetic from the late Noughties, and Freefarm's music was a huge and integral part of the quirkiness that made it work so well. I'm still trying to work out what the instruments and sound sources are - it's evidently a blend of electronic instruments with acoustic ones that are quite unusual in and of themselves (melodicas, whistling, bells, etc.)  It's the main element, Welsh language notwithstanding, that turns a bunch of picture postcards into something you can't imagine on any other TV channel, then or now. It gives the channel a personality in a way few other jingles have actually managed, rather than sounding like a 'conventional jingle' if that makes sense.

A shame that S4C's current idents, while passable, aren't as distinctive visually or aurally as the previous 'dragons' or 'magnetism' sets. This recent set aside, they're probably one of my favourite channels in terms of a consistently well thought-out aesthetic.
[-] The following 1 user Likes M-CORP's post:
  • RtH

Thought some would enjoy these:

Newsreel, Grandstand, Nationwide and more - all in the Beeb's 60th anniversary record:
twitter.com 

Or, if you just want an adrenalin boost with sports, BBC Records also got you convered as well:
twitter.com 

Some of them are played in this radio show:
m.mixcloud.com 

Watch this space...
WestKnightTV - on DeviantArt
[-] The following 2 users Like W. Knight's post:
  • Snop, stusoldvideo

I've not had a chance to listen to it yet, but this 6 Music show has a dig through the BBC Records archive:
www.bbc.co.uk 
[-] The following 1 user Likes thegeek's post:
  • Roger Darthwell