BBC/ITV West News

If they are replacing her? Am sure she said her and David effectively both went part-time when the programmes went down to solo presentation as they job shared. Perhaps he’ll just take on more shifts.
[-] The following 1 user Likes steve's post:
  • interestednovice

The return of Susan Osman?! Oh I can dream!

I am sure we shall see more of the likes of Liz Beacon and Amanda Parr.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kendal87's post:
  • interestednovice

Merely guesswork but I suppose the opportunity to present effectively two regional programmes a night was at least part of the attraction for both Seb and Alex.

One thing I am curious about is how they fare in ratings terms these days.

Time was when both Points West and Spotlight comfortably beat their ITV counterparts by a wide margin. Any one who used to browse the blue place might recall the running joke about whose turn it was to be the duty viewer for HTV News...

Local viewing figures are pretty hard to come by (though we do know how well BBC1 at 6.30 does UK-wide) but are there any indications?
[-] The following 1 user Likes lookoutwales's post:
  • interestednovice

(04-01-2024, 01:09 AM)lookoutwales Wrote:  Merely guesswork but I suppose the opportunity to present effectively two regional programmes a night was at least part of the attraction for both Seb and Alex.

One thing I am curious about is how they fare in ratings terms these days.

Time was when both Points West and Spotlight comfortably beat their ITV counterparts by a wide margin. Any one who used to browse the blue place might recall the running joke about whose turn it was to be the duty viewer for HTV News...

Local viewing figures are pretty hard to come by (though we do know how well BBC1 at 6.30 does UK-wide) but are there any indications?

I don't know about historically, but looking at last night's figures, the BBC West / Spotlight programmes had around 2.3x as many viewers as ITV West Country. In fact the margin was about the same in both regions.
[-] The following 3 users Like newsjunkie's post:
  • interestednovice, lookoutwales, Stockland Hillman

(04-01-2024, 01:53 AM)newsjunkie Wrote:  I don't know about historically, but looking at last night's figures, the BBC West / Spotlight programmes had around 2.3x as many viewers as ITV West Country. In fact the margin was about the same in both regions.

The BBC 1830 regional news is the UKs top rating news programme slot, so the fact its higher isnt suprising. Both West and South West historically are also higher than average.

Looking through the ITV shows on itvx , both versions felt significantly better to watch than last time i looked, leaning on the presenters more without it feeling awkward; the West version had a studio guest interview that worked well.

Probably the strongest presenter team in the West Country for a long time. If they lean into this it should do well, if they also try and improve the often poor running order producer choices that damage the shows some weeks.
[-] The following 3 users Like Stockland Hillman's post:
  • interestednovice, lookoutwales, Scratch_Perry

The Beeb have got round to looking for Alex Lovell’s replacement as Senior Presenter on Points West.

careers.bbc.co.uk 

(28-03-2024, 09:05 PM)lookoutwales Wrote:  The Beeb have got round to looking for Alex Lovell’s replacement as Senior Presenter on Points West.

careers.bbc.co.uk 

Not quite, it makes it clear it’s mainly a bulletin presenter (breakfast, lunch, late, weekends) with occasional fill ins on the 6.30.

I presume each region now officially has a Chief Presenter - or two if its job shared like in the West Midlands? And you can see who that is from the iPlayer 6.30 thumbnail.
[-] The following 1 user Likes steve's post:
  • interestednovice