BBC/ITV West News

(25-11-2023, 12:32 AM)Stockland Hillman Wrote:  Both regions with relatively poor audience performance. Coincidence? 

Points West looked alive this evening,  shows whats been lost (hidden by Covid) on the BBC Regional evenings.  What a way to treat the most watched TV News slot.

I completely agree. They ripped the heart of some regions that had fantastic duos. David & Alex, Stewart & Susie, Anne & Dom to name some.
[-] The following 5 users Like Kendal87's post:
  • AndrewP, interestednovice, Scratch_Perry, Superman1986, TJTSW

ITV - at least where they are double-headed - were wise to retain it (even when there was still social distancing in place)

Somewhere along the line, I imagine it'll probably come back into fashion on the Beeb as well (if not exactly in every region)

One thing I have noticed is when she's on duty, Ruth Dodsworth appears to get pretty substantial airtime towards the end of Wales at Six, almost as a de-facto co-anchor.

More often than not she'll introduce a feature story of some sort (sometimes on a live OB) before the weather. Her appearances have been fewer of late but one imagines considering her higher public profile these days, they're keen to make the most of her.

That happens with quite a few regional weather presenters. I think most ITV regions at least still have a sports anchor too - not sure about the BBC. Worth remembering though the reason ITV retain the dual anchors is because most are now dual regions, anchoring two programmes - one pre-recorded, one recorded - but occassionally for noteable events one of the anchors will go on location and anchor one programme for part of their region whilst the other comes from the studio.
[-] The following 3 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • AndrewP, lookoutwales, Scratch_Perry

(25-11-2023, 01:44 AM)Brekkie Wrote:  That happens with quite a few regional weather presenters.    I think most ITV regions at least still have a sports anchor too - not sure about the BBC.    Worth remembering though the reason ITV retain the dual anchors is because most are now dual regions, anchoring two programmes - one pre-recorded, one recorded - but occassionally for noteable events one of the anchors will go on location and anchor one programme for part of their region whilst the other comes from the studio.

Yes, in the same way as in time the BBC regions tend to go off piste with regards to the studios, it'll surely happen with presenters. There's definitely a lack of 'warmth' which is so important to the regional news with single-heading - with some presenters anyway, not all.

The South Today approach of having the family of presenter + sport + weather is a decent compromise at the moment - amazing the difference it makes to the feel of the programme, the same as North West Tonight having the weather presenter join on the sofa before the close.
[-] The following 1 user Likes steve's post:
  • Scratch_Perry

(25-11-2023, 12:39 AM)Kendal87 Wrote:  I completely agree. They ripped the heart of some regions that had fantastic duos. David & Alex, Stewart & Susie, Anne & Dom to name some.
Like I said in my previous post, the presenting partnership is part of a news programmes USP.  And although Covid was the final nail in the coffin for the BBC regional presenters, cost cutting would have played a part; you only have to look at the former BBC News 24/BBC News Channel over the last 10-15 years to see the erosion of top class presenting partnerships; think Simon McCoy & Carrie Gracie, Jon Sopel & Emily Maitlis, Matthew Amrowalia & Jane Hill, to name but three.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Scratch_Perry's post:
  • Superman1986

Straying off a bit here but while you quite often see the sports presenters take on a news presenter role even now they're used a bit more for reporting (and not just from the local garden show) it's quite rare to see a weather presenter promoted into a main news presenting role. Obviously a different skill set and perhaps less transferable skills than with sports reporting but it barely ever happens in the UK at least. Alex Beresford did do a couple of GMBs and I think a few bulletins for ITV West (bringing it back on topic) but don't think that lasted long.

(25-11-2023, 08:19 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Straying off a bit here but while you quite often see the sports presenters take on a news presenter role even now they're used a bit more for reporting (and not just from the local garden show) it's quite rare to see a weather presenter promoted into a main news presenting role.    Obviously a different skill set and perhaps less transferable skills than with sports reporting but it barely ever happens in the UK at least.    Alex Beresford did do a couple of GMBs and I think a few bulletins for ITV West (bringing it back on topic) but don't think that lasted long.

Keeley Donovan is both a weather presenter and news presenter on Look North (Leeds)

Owain Wyn Evans also did a tiny bit of News presenting on Look North pre COVID before he moved to North West Tonight

Alex Beresford did a few GMBs in the post showdown with Piers time, when his popularity was on the up in certain quarters, but it didn’t last long
[-] The following 1 user Likes Andrew's post:
  • Superman1986

Both Shefali Oza and Rebecca Wood on Midlands Today do both weather and presenting duties.

I’m not sure about Shefali, but Rebecca’s background is in journalism rather than meteorology, so it makes sense that she can cover news presenting shifts alongside her main weather duties.
[-] The following 3 users Like Spencer's post:
  • Brekkie, lookoutwales, Superman1986

Natasha Turney and Rich Davies have done weather and presenting duties on East Midlands Today

Barra Best & Geoff Maskell have done weather and presenting duties on Newsline one morning

(25-11-2023, 08:19 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Straying off a bit here but while you quite often see the sports presenters take on a news presenter role even now they're used a bit more for reporting (and not just from the local garden show) it's quite rare to see a weather presenter promoted into a main news presenting role.    Obviously a different skill set and perhaps less transferable skills than with sports reporting but it barely ever happens in the UK at least.    Alex Beresford did do a couple of GMBs and I think a few bulletins for ITV West (bringing it back on topic) but don't think that lasted long.

Sarah Farmer on South Today does both news and weather  presenting