BBC/ITV West News

(25-11-2023, 11:32 PM)Pompeytv Wrote:  Sarah Farmer on South Today does both news and weather  presenting
Becky Jago was previously a weather presenter on ITV News Anglia before swapping the map for the desk.
[-] The following 2 users Like Worzel's post:
  • Brekkie, Superman1986

Seem to remember the late great Dianne Oxberry doing a few NWT bulletins.
[-] The following 3 users Like all new phil's post:
  • LDN, lookoutwales, Superman1986

Been quite common at EMT for weather presenters to become news presenters.

Lisa Dransfield was on weather in the 90s before becoming lunchtime anchor, Lukeswa Bural has presented on various news channels having started on weather, and for a while Sara Blizzard did the news bulletins for the afternoon summary, but I don’t think she ever did a full bulletin.

Colin Hazelden regularly did the late bulletin in the 00s in addition to his sports role

(25-11-2023, 09:16 PM)Andrew Wrote:  Owain Wyn Evans also did a tiny bit of News presenting on Look North pre COVID before he moved to North West Tonight
Owain's first gig in broadcasting was fronting S4C's children's news programme, Ffeil, pretty much each weekday before he moved into weather forecasting.

His successor as main presenter was Catrin Heledd, who I think was also reporting and presenting on Newyddion around the same time before focusing her work on sport.

And of course, Ruth Dodsworth has alternated between news and weather a few times at ITV Wales.

I think one of the more surprising moves  - bringing us back to the West - was Bob Crampton switching to weather upon the merger in 2009, having held down not only news presenting and reporting duties, but producing and editorial roles at HTV for years.
[-] The following 4 users Like lookoutwales's post:
  • Brekkie, London Lite, Scratch_Perry, Superman1986

So apart from the dozens of examples it doesn't happen too often then. 🤣
[-] The following 2 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • HTVbest, lookoutwales

(25-11-2023, 11:58 PM)all new phil Wrote:  Seem to remember the late great Dianne Oxberry doing a few NWT bulletins.
Always felt it was a pity Dianne didn't get to do more anchoring - especially since she was able to establish her journalistic credentials on Inside Out. Still sorely missed.

NWT kinda felt like 'the Gordon and Dianne show', really - even if on most evenings, they only appeared together for about 20-30 seconds at the end. 

Sometimes longer if the badly ageing analogue tech at Oxford Road packed in - which was very often. There was one night when Dianne told the story about phoning in a weather hit for local radio while driving, when she had to quickly wrap up as she was being pulled over by police!

They both did one or two 'sofa tours' of shopping centres round the region, too - which proved very popular (Gordon said at one particular event, a lot of people were asking about Dan Walker - he was doing their sport at the time)

For all its faults, there was a definite charm to that era of North West Tonight. - Granada Tonight / Reports, even though usually double-headed, struggled to settle down for a few years until the late Tony Morris defected from the Beeb (and maybe, to some extent, after ITV plc was established), but I digress.
--
One more example, again from the West - Sherrie Eugene, recruited as a BSL interpreter for HTV News in the mid-80s, but quickly ended up doing more items and worked on other regional shows before finally becoming a main news anchor around the late 90s.
[-] The following 4 users Like lookoutwales's post:
  • AndrewP, Brekkie, London Lite, Superman1986

Alex Lovells finale tonight
x.com 
[-] The following 1 user Likes Stockland Hillman's post:
  • MLehon

(01-12-2023, 06:17 PM)Stockland Hillman Wrote:  Alex Lovells finale tonight
x.com 

I remember her in her Playhouse Disney days, and to know that she's been with Points West for many years is an astonishing achievement.
Good luck to Alex as she moves channels from BBC Points West to ITV News West Country. Hope she's gets used to the teal as she's been surrounded by red at Points West.  Wink

(01-12-2023, 06:30 PM)Edogawa Ranpo Wrote:  I remember her in her Playhouse Disney days, and to know that she's been with Points West for many years is an astonishing achievement.
Good luck to Alex as she moves channels from BBC Points West to ITV News West Country. Hope she's gets used to the teal as she's been surrounded by red at Points West.  Wink

Not her first time on Bath Road studios.  Brainteaser was done from there for a while,  in the old HTV News studio 2 before the atrium and studio was built into studio 1
[-] The following 4 users Like Stockland Hillman's post:
  • London Lite, lookoutwales, Spencer, watchingtv

youtu.be 

Quite an understated on-screen farewell given 18 years service. I get the feeling if David didn't take it upon himself to come in and give her flowers, she wouldn't have got much else.
[-] The following 5 users Like RDJ's post:
  • chaose, japitts, Kendal87, Scratch_Perry, Stockland Hillman