BBC/ITV West News

(02-12-2023, 09:18 AM)RDJ Wrote:  youtu.be 

Quite an understated on-screen farewell given 18 years service. I get the feeling if David didn't take it upon himself to come in and give her flowers, she wouldn't have got much else.
Very understated on-screen farewell.  Normally in these circumstances, they will show a compilation of their best - and in some cases not their best - moments during their years on the programme.

Though at least Alex did get the chance to say farewell to the viewers on the programme, because in cases where you leave to join the direct opposition - like she has - you are immediately removed from screen and deemed persona non grata.

I'm not privy to discussions at Points West but you also have to bear in mind that Alex may have not wanted a 'best of' etc. Just because it was an understated last program, doesn't necessarily mean that there were politics surrounding the fact that she is going off to present over on the other side.

New set launch night for Points West

x.com 
[-] The following 3 users Like UTVLifer's post:
  • Brekkie, ChrisE, Stuart

Judging by the opener in the News at Six the new studio premiers at 6:30 tonight.

Haha great comment from the sofa guest saying that they have clearly spent a lot of money on the new set followed by an awkward look from David Garmston say something along the lines of "well let's not focus on that"
[-] The following 2 users Like HTVbest's post:
  • Superman1986, UTVLifer

(06-12-2023, 07:05 PM)UTVLifer Wrote:  New set launch night for Points West

x.com 
It looks OK, but I think they're still upscaled at Bristol.

It's such a shame they've lost much of their space in that big studio. I guess it just depends how much space you need these days.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Stuart's post:
  • UTVLifer

(06-12-2023, 08:07 PM)Stuart Wrote:  It looks OK, but I think they're still upscaled at Bristol.

It's such a shame they've lost much of their space in that big studio. I guess it just depends how much space you need these days.

Indeed, it's only the set not the gallery which has been updated at Bristol. The only region with the new set and HD is South.

(06-12-2023, 08:02 PM)HTVbest Wrote:  Haha great comment from the sofa guest saying that they have clearly spent a lot of money on the new set followed by an awkward look from David Garmston say something along the lines of "well let's not focus on that"
There was also a moment earlier on in the programme where David made a joke which went  something like “notice anything different?.. I’ve got a new tie” before mentioning the set. Pretty funny. The interaction with the guest was great too, just classic.

I do like it when the BBC acknowledge pres for the geeks amongst us. A bit like the quick “tour” of Studio B that Huw gave on the One Show.

Have some regions simply launched the new set without saying anything about it?
[-] The following 4 users Like interestednovice's post:
  • HTVbest, London Lite, Superman1986, UTVLifer

Alex seems to have fitted in quite well already on ITV Westcountry.

Has an official replacement for her been announced yet for Points West ?
[-] The following 3 users Like Radiodog's post:
  • interestednovice, Kendal87, Superman1986

Ever since the cuts to dual presentation during Covid (which were initially out of necessity, and the BBC then made permanent to save money) the BBC have had too many presenters per region. David & Alex were effectively forced into a job-share as neither wanted to reapply for their jobs and be in competition with the other. I imagine David now “gets his job back” as senior presenter all the time, and the existing staff will do other bulletins and cover his time off as necessary.

Alex meanwhile will also be back to a proper full-time role, over at ITV.

And because it’s the same region, I’m sure everybody sees each other at industry events and so on, so it’s not like you never get to see your former colleagues again. So it’s worked out quite well for all concerned!
[-] The following 2 users Like interestednovice's post:
  • Superman1986, UTVLifer