Ant and Dec rebooting Byker Grove

With Ant and Dec being in a golden handcuffs deal with ITV - surely ITV seem to be the first contenders to produce this Byker reboot?

The golden handcuffs is for on screen appearances, they can make programmes for any broadcaster.

Yeah... this could be on BBC Three - but they wouldn't be able to appear as PJ and Duncan. If it's on ITV1 or ITV2, they can. The show isn't guaranteed to be an ITV one as long as the Geordie duo are only behind the camera.
[-] The following 1 user Likes JAS84's post:
  • Roger Darthwell

I'd hazard a guess at either Netflix or Amazon myself, as the "network", since neither "need" ratings (and the latter can almost certainly afford a punt or two)

Although I have seen one news report that seems to suggest the revival is for the BBC. ign.com says that. Although as the website can't seem to make up its mind whether it wants to focus on video games, film or TV, that probably speaks volumes.

(04-07-2023, 09:59 PM)eyeTV Wrote:  The golden handcuffs is for on screen appearances, they can make programmes for any broadcaster.

I imagine they’d be perfectly allowed to make a cameo appearance on the new series as well if they wished regardless of the broadcaster

(04-07-2023, 10:44 PM)Neil Jones Wrote:  I'd hazard a guess at either Netflix or Amazon myself, as the "network", since neither "need" ratings (and the latter can almost certainly afford a punt or two)

Although I have seen one news report that seems to suggest the revival is for the BBC.  ign.com says that.  Although as the website can't seem to make up its mind whether it wants to focus on video games, film or TV, that probably speaks volumes.
That's the trope called Network Decay. IGN originally stood for Imagine Games Network, so anything not games related is deviating from it's original remit.

Thanks for that, as I didn't understand their golden handcuffs agreement with ITV - I thought the mega pay packet ensured Ant and Dec tied always to ITV including developing new TV shows for them.

If they had a broadcaster on board you'd have thought it would have been announced - sadly the options are very limited now when it comes to childrens or young teen drama - it's pretty much CBBC and that's it. Netflix and Amazon do the odd thing but nothing much and I don't think ITV have had a scripted drama or comedy since My Parents Are Aliens. It might work better for ITVX than it would have for CITV, but if they were attached I think they'd have been announced - and IIRC ITVX are only acquiring kids content rather than commissioning it.

CBBC really don't have the budget to invest in a vanity project too - they're more likely to continue with their own projects. If it does end up getting made I suspect it'll be largely financed by Ant and Dec and may only pick up a broadcaster after being released on YouTube or something first.

Problem is CBBC skews too young for programmes like Byker Grove or Grange Hill these days (a lot to do with why they got axed in the first place), and other parts of TV skew too old, that young teen demographic really has been abandoned over the last 20 or so years.
[-] The following 1 user Likes James2001's post:
  • Brekkie

It sounds like it's aiming for the Waterloo Road / Ackley Bridge demo rather than the CBBC audiance. So if ITV get first refusal it might be something they'd consider for ITVX.