Thread Closed

Huw Edwards identified as BBC presenter at the centre of recent scandal

(12-07-2023, 06:19 PM)London Lite Wrote:  With the Met taking no action against Edwards, we can assume he'll be on paid sick leave for the interim until he's well enough to have a decision made about his future with BBC News.

I'm not going to discuss the moral implications of his actions, but I'll wish Huw the best for his recovery in hospital and hope he can retain a career in the industry when he's well enough.

What decision is there to be made? It has nothing to do with the BBC, his employer. It’s not misconduct to cheat on your spouse or pay for explicit photos.

The employer can only take action if other staff were affected or if his actions had the potential to bring the BBC into disrepute.

Is there any feasible way back for Huw to BBC News? The Metropolitan Police clearing him of any criminal wrongdoing is at least reassuring (and I hope it means that the BBC doesn't feel compelled to eradicate Huw from their archive material).

But his psychological recovery and whether he will be able to face down the media glare and scrutiny of any return are huge question marks. A resignation or mutual agreement to part ways sadly seem far more inevitable.
[-] The following 2 users Like Reith85's post:
  • Frances, GMc

(12-07-2023, 06:38 PM)DTV Wrote:  I presume Clive and Reeta would be first in line. Sophie is obviously the more senior presenter, but she seems well-suited to the Six (even if differences are less in recent years) and it does have the higher audience these days. Luckily, the network team bench is broad and high quality enough that there are plenty of options, even with George's illness and Huw's likely inevitable departure.

As for major events coverage, the successor is less clear - though I suspect Sophie and Clive may split the role (the BBC might be reluctant to put their eggs in one basket again). Elections will be interesting, though could see Laura or Jo Coburn taking it, even if I think it's something that would suit Jane quite well.

Not to head too far into speculation city but I would imagine that for major events perhaps Sophie and Clive might split national/state/royal events between them. 

On the elections front, given that Laura did this year's locals instead of Huw due to the coronation, which was essentially a dry-run for the new Studio B, I think she would likely be first in line to head up next year's general elections coverage

(12-07-2023, 06:17 PM)Blubatt Wrote:  *** *******. I'm surprised and also not surprised. Since we are not going to gossip here, I will make the first pres related query. With ********** gone, and I doubt they will be back, who can feasibly take on the role as the 10 O'clock news?

I can imagine for the foreseeable it will be a rotation of Sophie, Clive, Reeta and Jane. With Fiona, Mishal, Tina and Ben stepping in when necessary.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Rolling News's post:
  • UTVLifer

(12-07-2023, 06:50 PM)UTVLifer Wrote:  Not to head too far into speculation city but I would imagine that for major events perhaps Sophie and Clive might split national/state/royal events between them. 

On the elections front, given that Laura did this year's locals instead of Huw due to the coronation, which was essentially a dry-run for the new Studio B, I think she would likely be first in line to head up next year's general elections coverage
Laura doesn’t have the right gravitas to host the General Election. I’m not sure I’ve even taken to her hosting on a Sunday morning. It needs to be someone statesman like, like your David Dimbleby type. Imagine that archive clip of the Brexit result with Laura instead of David.

They’ll be hoping now Rishi does delay it as long as possible and not go for that often suggested snap election.
[-] The following 3 users Like Andrew's post:
  • AJB39, alfiejmulcahy, UTVLifer

I'd obviously seen his name all over social media, but this still comes as a shock. This brings back the Phillip Schofield story for me. He, as far as we know, didn't commit any crime, but resigned from ITV. He admitted that he behaved inappropriately.
If the BBC presenter hasn't committed any crime, but admits to acting inappropriately (which we obviously still don't know if any of the allegations are true), how can he continue with BBC News?

You got to hate social media it really is an awful place it’s needs proper regulation, let’s hope he gets well and can defend these allegations when fit to do so.
[-] The following 3 users Like harshy's post:
  • AJB39, Reith85, Spencer

(12-07-2023, 06:48 PM)Adsales Wrote:  What decision is there to be made? It has nothing to do with the BBC, his employer. It’s not misconduct to cheat on your spouse or pay for explicit photos.

The employer can only take action if other staff were affected or if his actions had the potential to bring the BBC into disrepute.

Unfortunately the amount of people I have seen on social media calling him a dirty old perv probably does mean his actions have had the potential to bring the BBC into disrepute, even if they have been legal.

You do wonder if it is possible to put him on a World exclusive slot when it calms down if he does want to continue on and the rest of his colleagues are happy with that.
[-] The following 1 user Likes TIGHazard's post:
  • xlalonce

I am not going to comment on the current situation, partially because of how unclear things remain, and partially out of anger at how the entire situation has played out. But in light of the news of Huw Edwards receiving hospital care, and mental health once again being at the forefront of the news, I'm going to repeat what I said in the aftermath of Caroline Flack's passing.

If you are struggling with your mental health in any way, please speak to someone. That person could be:

- A family member
- A friend
- A work colleague
- Your GP

Alternatively, there are various helplines. The biggest one is the Samaritans, who you can speak to be either calling 116 123, or emailing jo@samaritans.org. Details for various other services can be found on the Mind website.

www.mind.org.uk 

Thankfully, Huw has done the right thing in this situation. And whilst I think it is outrageous that the situation was allowed to develop to this point, it is a good opportunity to remind ourselves of what to do if we are ever struggling with our mental health.

Don't suffer in silence.

I kissed a gull and I liked it!

First of all, I really hope that Huw gets the care he needs, and that his family are OK too.

Secondly, I feel so much for the BBC News team for whom this must have been such a bombshell. Sophie did an incredible job in the most difficult of circumstances.

I also hope the BBC is cut some slack. This has been difficult for them on a corporate level - who knows how many complaints and allegations they get a week, they can't go around suspending everyone without investigation.

Whether he'll be able to return to presenting duties, I sadly very much doubt, but if it's decided he can then I'd support that.

Volunteering. It's #GoodForYou!
[-] The following 4 users Like Moz's post:
  • DeMarkay, Reith85, Spencer, UTVLifer
Thread Closed