Survivor

Survivor airing Saturday and Sundays, but with the Sunday episode released on Saturdays.

deadline.com 

Quote:Kalpna Patel-Knight, the pubcaster’s Head of Entertainment who commissioned the reboot, added: “I don’t know why [Survivor] didn’t catch on two decades ago but our version feels fresh, relevant and contemporary.”

That sounds promising then! Surely the first thing to do would be to find out why the the British public doesn't watch Survivor and then either change that in the reboot or don't make Survivor again.

I don't work in television but even I know the answer. People just don't like TV shows set on beaches.

There are so many British breach based shows that have failed, you'd think television would have learnt by now.

Richard Osman' Prize Island. FAILED!
Echo Beach. FAILED!
Blobwatch. FAILED!
etc.

The only exception to this is Prickly Heat which seemed to do quite well and got three series in its original run. Maybe the BBC would have been better off rebooting that.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Nobby's post:
  • TVFan

I think creators can put too much effort thinking about bells and whistles, for example a location, than how a show will actually work, which is why so many shows don't last. Another problem is that imported formats can feel "off" and maybe that's not something that can be avoided or that people want to address, particularly with the obsession about brand alignment and every show in every territory needing to be the same. Looking back at the original UK Survivor, it's too American in its production and there's no warmth to it at all.
[-] The following 1 user Likes tellyblues's post:
  • Larry the Loafer

Didn't the creation of I'm A Celebrity come out of the failure of Survivor back in 2002?
[-] The following 6 users Like eyeTV's post:
  • Brekkie, cando, Gary Baldy, Pips2022, Rxtx, UTVLifer

(25-10-2023, 04:34 PM)tellyblues Wrote:  I think creators can put too much effort thinking about bells and whistles, for example a location, than how a show will actually work, which is why so many shows don't last. Another problem is that imported formats can feel "off" and maybe that's not something that can be avoided or that people want to address, particularly with the obsession about brand alignment and every show in every territory needing to be the same. Looking back at the original UK Survivor, it's too American in its production and there's no warmth to it at all.

I'm not sure that's a format issue - the US series had way more warmth even from the outset. I think that's a result of them reacting to the success of Big Brother and trying to strip the format back to be more like that; the whole 'play it like they're just left to it' thing doesn't gel as well in something so artificial/orchestrated as Survivor, where the cast are almost constantly occupied with stuff to do as it was in Big Brother, wherein the beauty of those early series was how little intervention they had and how organic the production then felt (oh for those days).

[Image: signature.jpg]
chatps.com

Yes, stripping it across the week was a huge mistake. Of course it actually outrated Big Brother but was deemed the flop as marginally beating C4 wasn't seen as a success for C4 back then. I'm not sure ITV were expecting BB2 to air in the same slot either with it launching around two months earlier than BB1. Not sure if that was always C4's plan or if they deliberately bought it forward.

(25-10-2023, 05:01 PM)eyeTV Wrote:  Didn't the creation of I'm A Celebrity come out of the failure of Survivor back in 2002?

Yes. The owners of Survivor sued them unsuccessfully over copyright infringement afterwards. 
The judge ruled that because
" I'm a celebrity " had no prize money and had a comedic element there was no infringement.

As formats go I'm A Celeb wasn't actually that derivative was it? It's people living together and doing challenges in an exotic environment.

Today of course there are hundreds of reality formats all utilising similar formats.

Exactly, just like there are multiple game shows and chat shows. I think there was even a lawsuit between Survivor and Big Brother despite the obvious differences.

There have been a couple of formats I think have come too close to Big Brother to get away with it (Dilemme in France and The Glass House in the US) but think both were resolved by agreeing not to produce a second season that wouldn't have been commissioned anyway.

Ooh a lovely bit of accelerated flow into the first episode just now.

[Image: 1592580878_1869298444.svg]