Survivor

Maybe they're hoping people will forget Doctor Who isn't on (pre-Strictly being Who's timeslot on the previous three weeks) and tune in to Survivor by accident!

Surely this has more to do with Sports Personality of the Year taking place on the Sunday.
[-] The following 1 user Likes South's post:
  • AJB39

Had assumed they'd make a Winners Weekend and have Survivor at 9pm both nights but Vigil has taken that slot now. Whether that was always the plan or just a reaction to the poor numbers we'll probably never know, although the Strictly final would originally have been at least half an hour longer before one contestant dropped out.

Survivor though has proven to be the wrong show to be the Strictly lead out and it's certainly the wrong show to be the lead in to the final. Would have been better off moving it to the Friday really.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Brekkie's post:
  • ACTV

(26-11-2023, 10:36 AM)Brekkie Wrote:  Had assumed they'd make a Winners Weekend and have Survivor at 9pm both nights but Vigil has taken that slot now.  Whether that was always the plan or just a reaction to the poor numbers we'll probably never know, although the Strictly final would originally have been at least half an hour longer before one contestant dropped out. 

Survivor though has proven to be the wrong show to be the Strictly lead out and it's certainly the wrong show to be the lead in to the final.  Would have been better off moving it to the Friday really.

I don't think it fits Saturday night at all, it really doesn't scream "family entertainment" like Doctor Who or Strictly. You could argue Casualty doesn't either but that has firmly stuck on Saturday nights since the 80s (albeit on Friday for a few years) so can't really be compared.

A 9pm weekday slot in January would have benefitted Survivor much better, when there is less competition in the slot. 

One thinks it would also fit BBC Three better, they did do the somewhat similar Go Hard or Go Home earlier in the year. They could have committed more slots to Survivor with post-NAT repeats on BBC One.

Even then, the format, pacing and casting is probably what is letting the show down the most (although the schedule isn't helping.) I can't see Survivor returning after this series, it's damaged goods as far as this country is concerned.

It's probably a show that needed growing on BBC2 as most BBC1 reality hits are. I'm not sure it even gets a midweek repeat outing on BBC3.

There isn't much they could change in a second series - unlike Big Brother there aren't really variations of the format out there so you're basically gambling on a better cast that viewers connect with - and it's too much a risk for the investment really just to hope viewers like the second time what they didn't the first time.

It's a bit different to the first time when it was deemed a flop and compared to Big Brother where the show was live and had public voting, so ITV could create a show which was live with public voting to effectively replace it.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Brekkie's post:
  • ACTV

(26-11-2023, 11:01 AM)ACTV Wrote:  A 9pm weekday slot in January would have benefitted Survivor much better, when there is less competition in the slot.
I partially agree, in respects that a January (Q1) slot might have been better. I dare say may they wanted to avoid having Joel on ITV1 and BBC1 in the same evening. Fortunately last night it was scheduled so that it finished just before I'm a Celeb, else ratings would have been worse.

Quote:ACTVEven then, the format, pacing and casting is probably what is letting the show down the most (although the schedule isn't helping.) I can't see Survivor returning after this series, it's damaged goods as far as this country is concerned.
I do feel the last sentence is slightly hyperbolic. Personally a few people I've spoken to quite like the show. It probably helps that I don't think any of them have watched the international versions. I suspect that beyond these forums this might also be the case with a lot of the public.

In terms of individual game play I do feel things have started to liven up a bit since episode 7. This is perhaps a bit too late into the series. I think that if there is another series this may happen sooner, as future contestants will have likely watched the current UK series.

Formerly 'Charlie Wells' of TV Forum.

If, and it's a big if, the gameplay is maintained moving forward then perhaps they needed to get through the first few episodes on screen in a pacier manner to get to them. Ultimately though to care about the gameplay you need to care about the cast - and this cast gave very little in the early episodes other than the one obvious hate figure who has now gone.

It's not had it's moment though - The Traitors got off to an unsure start to be honest but then within 3-4 episodes it had a couple of moments which really set up the rest of the series (the first Traitor being eliminated and the girlfriend/boyfriend reveal) and pushed on from there. With this it feels like every 3-4 episodes you get people thinking it's got good, and then the next episode it's back to being a chore to watch.

I think with most shows that don't work as a viewer you can kind of see what needs fixing - and beyond just the scheduling too. The problem here is although we know it works abroad and other versions really can be excellent we're just not seeing the foundations of that in this version. There doesn't seem much to build on moving forward, which is a shame. I think some formats just don't connect with audiences in some countries despite being big hits elsewhere - and Survivor just seems to be one of those formats in the UK.
[-] The following 2 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • ACTV, Happy2001

(25-11-2023, 09:44 PM)tellyblues Wrote:  twitter.com 
Looking forward to the BBC News finale.

[Image: 1592580878_1869298444.svg]
[-] The following 4 users Like VMPhil's post:
  • Brekkie, callumwatchestelly, Joe, TJTSW

(26-11-2023, 04:27 PM)VMPhil Wrote:  Looking forward to the BBC News finale.

The right time to end it.  It's got very repetitive and increasingly far fetched in recent years.
[-] The following 2 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • callumwatchestelly, TVFan

In recent years they've launched a new show into the Strictly Final or out of it.

2021 was The Weakest Link leading into Strictly
2022 was That's My Jam out of Strictly

So this year seems a bit mediocre to have it in a Survivor sandwich. Maybe they should have been launching Gladiators into SCD.

Sports Personality by the way is Tuesday 19th this year, it seems to have lost its weekend spot in recent times.