ITV Telethon - 35 years on

There was a thing a few years back about Granada "finding" the Hilda Ogden insert, though surely it had always existed as part of the master tape of the Telethon itself? Though I guess they imagine they were likely referring to finding the insert tape, as opposed to the broadcast itself with the phone numbers overlaid.

Makes me think of the Red Dwarf sketch from Children in Need 1998- on the Series 8 DVD it's taken from the broadcast with the phone number on screen- presumably they couldn't find the insert tape for that either?

(02-08-2023, 03:10 PM)Stooky Bill Wrote:  It probably wouldn't work like that, it being for charity and everything. 

As I say it depends what is meant by TVam in the Telethon studio, and what the point of that would be

I never worked on it for free and I don’t personally know anyone who did, certainly a staffing cost for someone to pick up either way.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bluecortina's post:
  • bilky asko

(02-08-2023, 11:02 PM)Bluecortina Wrote:  I never worked on it for free and I don’t personally know anyone who did, certainly a staffing cost for someone to pick up either way.
Absolutely, there's a staffing cost but what I was getting at was that in that circumstance it wouldn't have been the case that TVam would have had to shell out for the whole of Studio 1 for 3 hours. 

It wasn't normal circumstances, it wasn't a normal show

I suspect is was just easier to work in a break from the main studio to set up for the daytime broadcast.

(02-08-2023, 11:02 PM)Bluecortina Wrote:  I never worked on it for free and I don’t personally know anyone who did, certainly a staffing cost for someone to pick up either way.

On a related note much was made of Terry Wogan not being "paid" to host CiN over the years (until somebody found out he actually had been for the previous 20 years or so but that's beside the point), but while the other onscreen talent was not paid, it probably goes without saying that the production team won't work for nothing, and indeed why should they?

If on-screen talent wants to do one on-screen shift a year for a charity and either do it for literally nothing or have the wonga donated to the charity they've bigged up for the last six hours then that's up to them. I'd say behind the scene production team will be on far less so would prefer the cash?

I suspect back then staff were more likely contracted rather than freelance so such events just made up their hours.

(03-08-2023, 03:36 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  I suspect back then staff were more likely contracted rather than freelance so such events just made up their hours.

I think in 1988 staff were still working in accordance to the ACTT/ITCA 'White book' agreement, staff would have been on quite a hefty hourly rate post 1am ish. 1992 was likely to have been different.

LWT Studios 1 and 2 were both in use for the 'main' show to allow either to reset etc, Studio 3 was, I think, food and drink and storage for hats and coats. Sorry I can't remember more after all this time.

(05-08-2023, 12:52 PM)Bluecortina Wrote:  I think in 1988 staff were still working in accordance to the ACTT/ITCA 'White book' agreement, staff would have been on quite a hefty hourly rate post 1am ish. 1992 was likely to have been different.

LWT Studios 1 and 2 were both in use for the 'main' show to allow either to reset etc, Studio 3 was, I think, food and drink and storage for hats and coats. Sorry I can't remember more after all this time.

Don't apologise. Its insights like that that makes the forum special.

(11-08-2023, 08:38 PM)Humphrey Hacker Wrote:  Don't apologise. Its insights like that that makes the forum special.

Offering the loan of a flux capacitor so Bluecortina can travel back to 1988 to jog the memory would have been even more special Wink

(11-08-2023, 10:14 PM)Neil Jones Wrote:  Offering the loan of a flux capacitor so Bluecortina can travel back to 1988 to jog the memory would have been even more special Wink

Great Scott I've just sold the last one Tongue