Strictly - 2023

(07-08-2023, 08:02 AM)tellyblues Wrote:  The X Factor was always going to end because it had the off-air element of making someone a star which couldn't be sustained.
Not sure that was really an issue because it lasted many years with the winner becoming a massive star very few years. Even as far back as Pop Idol 2 the winner failed to achieve anything outside perhaps their first single or two most years. 

Had it have continued to get 7 or 8 million viewers it would have still been on air. I think people just got bored of the format and constant changes, as well as suffering from younger viewers slowly moving away from traditional TV viewing.

Strictly on the other hand always skewed older and any changes to the format happening slowly over the years.

Angela Scanlon the next contestant announced

twitter.com 

(06-08-2023, 11:14 PM)PJamo Wrote:  Admittedly I'd forgotten about BGT's frequent set changes. Wasn't the last one before thr current arrangement quite 'theatrical' in a way - possibly the series after the London Studios closed so they were in a new home (Elstree?) that year?

X Factor did seem to keep that set for ages with the odd tweak here and there like Strictly do (changes from light boxes to more screens, expanding the walkway, a satellite stage at one end of the walkway for one year), with bigger changes elsewhere each year. I think the year the set finally changed (2017) - again due to the London Studios closing) - was the first time since 2010 that all judges and host from the previous year returned. And that year brought a new format - the Prize Fight! - before they went 'back to basics again.....

Sorry to be picky and pedantic but The X Factor never used The London Studios on the South Bank, they used The Fountain Studios in Wembley from 2004 until 2016, with The Fountain Studios closed down. 

The change in 2017, was when they moved to LH2 Studios in London, which mean they needed a new look. 

Strictly Come Dancing had been using BBC Television Centre studios, especially TC1 since they started in 2004 until the end of the 2012 series.  When the BBC closed down Television Centre after selling it in 2013 and a redevelopment of the site was about to happen from spring 2013, they looked to their next door neighbours at Elstree to help them, and agreed a deal with Elstree Studios to use one of their George Lucas Stages, currently George Lucas Stage 2 as their home for Strictly.

The move to Elstree saw a revamp of the set, as they went from using a 10,800 Sq Ft TC1 at Television Centre, to the much bigger 15,770 Sq Ft George Lucas Stage from the 2013 series onward.

(07-08-2023, 08:22 AM)Jon Wrote:  Not sure that was really an issue because it lasted many years with the winner becoming a massive star very few years. Even as far back as Pop Idol 2 the winner failed to achieve anything outside perhaps their first single or two most years. 

Had it have continued to get 7 or 8 million viewers it would have still been on air. I think people just got bored of the format and constant changes, as well as suffering from younger viewers slowly moving away from traditional TV viewing.

Strictly on the other hand always skewed older and any changes to the format happening slowly over the years.

I agree that constant chopping and changing doesn't help matters but unlike most shows The X Factor had a very high place to fall from and the amount of viewers wasn't going to half in the space of a year or even two. Up until series 10, the show's claim of making stars out of people couldn't be called into question as there was always someone who had a good career out of the show. Sam Bailey was probably the first winner you couldn't imagine going anywhere, Ben Haenow the same but they still got to No.1 at least. Everyone afterwards, only decent singers and by then the show was seen as a curse.

The appetite for series 3 of Pop Idol will remain a mystery but had it continued and produced a winner like Michelle McManus every year, it too would have ended soonafter.

The Voice has been on air for 11 years and hasn't produced a single star.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kim Wexler’s Ponytail's post:
  • Brekkie

(06-08-2023, 06:58 AM)JamesWorldNews Wrote:  Angela Rippon and Krishnan Guru-Murthy amongst the participants announced. Good choices! 

Aside…….I believe Strictly Come Dancing should go out on a high. I know it is still popular, but isn’t the format becoming a bit tired after all these years? 

It’s been on our screens longer than Cilla’s Blind Date, which is hard to believe. 

It would be sad if these iconic shows were allowed to just fizzle out because of huge drops in audience figures.

That said, I’m looking forward to see Angela and Krish on the floor.
Angela is a great choice, with a certain generation she's strongly associated with dance despite never actually working as a dancer. 

First former host of the programme (assuming you consider Strictly to be a continuation of Come Dancing) to dance on Strictly....not that there's many left

(07-08-2023, 10:03 AM)tellyblues Wrote:  I agree that constant chopping and changing doesn't help matters but unlike most shows The X Factor had a very high place to fall from and the amount of viewers wasn't going to half in the space of a year or even two. Up until series 10, the show's claim of making stars out of people couldn't be called into question as there was always someone who had a good career out of the show. Sam Bailey was probably the first winner you couldn't imagine going anywhere, Ben Haenow the same but they still got to No.1 at least. Everyone afterwards, only decent singers and by then the show was seen as a curse.

I kind of like the irony of this thread becoming a bit of a battle between Strictly and X Factor. 

I was confused a few weeks back - and I’m even more confused about it given recent revelations from her book - when Cowell appeared on The One Show with Lucy Spraggan, hinting they were working together on what sounded like a reboot of the show. 

I do genuinely think we’ll see it reappear within the next few years however.

(07-08-2023, 10:36 AM)Kim Wexler’s Ponytail Wrote:  The Voice has been on air for 11 years and hasn't produced a single star.

It could be argued that because it never has there is no expectation that it should. ITV have kept the show going because it will rate better than most and ultimately they own the format.

Two Angela's then.

Re: The X Factor. The issue wasn't so much the changes but when things didn't work they seemed to focusing on fixing the wrong things. And everytime it took a step forward in terms of credibility, noteably with James Arthur and Ella Henderson in 2012 (both still hugely successful) and Rak-su and Grace Davies in 2017 (both not getting the success you'd expect) the following year seemed to revert to a karaoke contest and Abba week.

I think Strictly has been better at modernising and not panicking about criticism. The old school fans hate Couples Choice for example but they've stuck with it and seen some memorable routines as a result which appeal to a wider audience than traditional ballroom.
[-] The following 2 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • all new phil, Happy2001

(07-08-2023, 11:07 AM)tellyblues Wrote:  It could be argued that because it never has there is no expectation that it should. 

Ok, sure. 

I'm not sure why we have to go through this Strictly v's X Factor thing every year. Some people seem to have a weird a chip on their shoulder with Strictly. As if it's continuing popularity is unwarranted.