Strictly - 2023

(07-08-2023, 10:36 AM)Kim Wexler’s Ponytail Wrote:  The Voice has been on air for 11 years and hasn't produced a single star.

Becky Hill was in series 1 though she didn’t win.
[-] The following 6 users Like gottago's post:
  • bilky asko, DeMarkay, iloveTV1, Lester, LouBlu08, Toby brown

(07-08-2023, 03:10 PM)Kim Wexler’s Ponytail Wrote:  Ok, sure. 

I'm not sure why we have to go through this Strictly v's X Factor thing every year. Some people seem to have a weird a chip on their shoulder with Strictly. As if it's continuing popularity is unwarranted.

Certainly not my thoughts on the matter.

Seems like some people cannot offer alternative views as to why some shows remain successful and some don't.

I don't watch Strictly but then it's not a show intended for me. You like it, understandably.

(07-08-2023, 03:41 PM)tellyblues Wrote:  Certainly not my thoughts on the matter.

Seems like some people cannot offer alternative views as to why some shows remain successful and some don't.

I don't watch Strictly but then it's not a show intended for me. You like it, understandably.

I think for me there were a number of things that made me stop watching the X Factor. Firstly, the judges seemed to have a habit of making the show be more about themselves, rather than about the contestants. Secondly, it felt at times like the producers were blatantly trying to influence who the viewers voted for (on and off air), and not just by the order in which the contestants performed.

By contrast with Strictly you have a level of consistency between series. Whilst you might have a judge and some professional dancers change you don't have a completely different set of judges and/or hosts announced. Equally whilst both have had their fair share of 'contestant scandals' with Strictly it's tended to be mainly of the contestant's (or the professional dancer's) own making. At the same time the programme has adapted and innovated, but generally it's felt like an evolution.

That said there have been a few panic/bad decisions over the years on Strictly. Donny Osmond and other handful of 5th guest judges spring to mind as an example.

Formerly 'Charlie Wells' of TV Forum.

(07-08-2023, 03:20 PM)gottago Wrote:  Becky Hill was in series 1 though she didn’t win.

Who’s Becky Hill?

(08-08-2023, 01:44 AM)Gary Baldy Wrote:  Who’s Becky Hill?

She’s not a household name but she’s had 17 top 40 hits over about a decade - admittedly, most of them as a featured singer on dance tracks. “Star” might be pushing it, but Radio 1 listeners would certainly know the name. She’s certainly had a respectable career.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Paul O’Brien's post:
  • David

So far, not very impressed with the 2023 line up - I did like seeing Angela Rippon being on it, but does anyone under the age of 40 know who she is? Yes of course she is there for the older viewer, as Strictly skews towards an older audience.

However the rest seems very lacklustre - no big names stick out to me. Amanda Abbingdon from Sherlock and the Channel 4 News man Krishnan Guru-Murthy and bad Education's Layton Williams are the only three I know well.

Here is the whole line-up so far as some haven't been posted here.

twitter.com 
[-] The following 1 user Likes RhysJR's post:
  • UTVLifer

(08-08-2023, 05:13 PM)JMT1985 Wrote:  So far, not very impressed with the 2023 line up - I did like seeing Angela Rippon being on it, but does anyone under the age of 40 know who she is? Yes of course she is there for the older viewer, as Strictly skews towards an older audience.

However the rest seems very lacklustre - no big names stick out to me. Amanda Abbingdon from Sherlock and the Channel 4 News man Krishnan Guru-Murthy and bad Education's Layton Williams are the only three I know well.

I don't think the drip feed of the cast does it any favours as often it looks stronger once all 15 are known.   I think it is on a par with previous years - the only two I'm not familar with at all are the comedian and Asian Network presenter.

This year's first sportsperson

twitter.com 

(08-08-2023, 06:53 PM)RhysJR Wrote:  Here is the whole line-up so far as some haven't been posted here.

twitter.com 

Will i be classed as "old" as i only recognise three faces in that line up?