The Oscars 2024: Not on Sky

I typically watch the Oscars every year. I admit it was a snoozefest this year. It can be truncated in places. But I think people outside the industry/Hollywood/USA dont seem to seem to understand its an industry award show that just happens to be televised for the general public. Its very meta-y and insider-y. So its never going to give awards away to the latest Transformers film or something like that super box officer popular. Its voted on basically by filmmakers, actors and others who are part of the Academy, not the wider public. ITs not the TvQuick Awards. Its never going to happen. That said....

THe show has been much better. To me it goes thru these weird ebbs and flows. Some years it looks fresh and updated and then it back tracks. I believe its down to the network thats broadcasting it. ABC was the broadcaster this year and i didnt like the flow or the look of the programme.

the 2 big LA industry rags wrote articles on the huge ratings the programme got over being on Sky.
Seems like the Jonathan Ross panel got a big thumbs down because of the insenstivy of panel and their lack of knowledge and sheer ignorance
Quote:Multiple X users pointed to the absurdity of the panel comparing Martin Scorsese’s Killers of the Flower Moon – a movie that included the murder and torture of Native Americans – to ITV soap Emmerdale.
Thats just shocking!

Here is a article from Variety.
variety.com 

deadline.com 

(11-03-2024, 10:32 PM)mouseboy33 Wrote:  I typically watch the Oscars every year. I admit it was a snoozefest this year. It can be truncated in places. But I think people outside the industry/Hollywood/USA dont seem to seem to understand its an industry award show that just happens to be televised for the general public. Its very meta-y and insider-y. So its never going to give awards away to the latest Transformers film or something like that super box officer popular. Its voted on basically by filmmakers, actors and others who are part of the Academy, not the wider public. ITs not the TvQuick Awards. Its never going to happen. That said....

THe show has been much better. To me it goes thru these weird ebbs and flows. Some years it looks fresh and updated and then it back tracks. I believe its down to the network thats broadcasting it. ABC was the broadcaster this year and i didnt like the flow or the look of the programme.

the 2 big LA industry rags wrote articles on the huge ratings the programme got over being on Sky.
Seems like the Jonathan Ross panel got a big thumbs down because of the insenstivy of panel and their lack of knowledge and sheer ignorance
Thats just shocking!

Here is a article from Variety.
variety.com 

deadline.com 

Just to note, the Oscars are on ABC every year.
[-] The following 2 users Like AJB39's post:
  • ASnep, cando

The Oscar-Winning Documentary feature; 20 Days in Mariupol had begun airing on Channel 4 since 10:30pm. It's my first time watching it tonight. The grim accounts from those living in this city have been very harrowing. The medical assistance scenes in particular throughout the film are very distressing to watch.

Yes - one of those where the subject matter means regardless of awards it's something many would struggle to watch. Was it only added to the schedules today?

Variety make a good point that ITV benefitted from the show being two hours earlier than usual UK time, with the US Telecast bought forward an hour then the clocks changing in the US last weekend bringing it forward another hour.

www.hollywoodreporter.com 

The US Ratings are in. The Oscars drew 19.5 million viewers. The highest audience since 2020.
[-] The following 2 users Like AJB39's post:
  • bkman1990, Happy2001

(11-03-2024, 10:45 PM)AJB39 Wrote:  Just to note, the Oscars are on ABC every year.

My mistake. I meant to say production team not network. Getting my award shows mixed up (The Emmys rotate across the networks). This year it was a Canadian guy who did production. You can always tell when it changes. THis is year the production was clearly meh. The only highlight for me was the Native American drum circle and Ryan Gosling Im Just Ken production. And I loathe Ryan Gosling personally.

But ratings were up 4% from the pandemic low

deadline.com 
[-] The following 1 user Likes mouseboy33's post:
  • AJB39

Not surprising it did well, being a year where a number of the films in contention have done well at the box office, which isn't often the case.