The Oscars 2024: Not on Sky

Wonder if this will lead to a return of GMB 'Live from the Oscars'? Like Brekkie says, it's probably a lot more about ITV Daytime milking it for content.
[-] The following 2 users Like JK08's post:
  • TJTSW, UTVLifer

The ironic thing is the Oscars have declined in popularity and relevance and the core ITV daytime audience won’t care that much as the majority of nominated films will be films they have never heard off.

It does have a synergy though. GMB & Lorraine make a big deal about it more about the celebs / fashion than the actual films.

They will no doubt get content out it for ITVX.
[-] The following 1 user Likes eyeTV's post:
  • UTVLifer

(12-09-2023, 01:25 PM)Newshound47 Wrote:  The ironic thing is the Oscars have declined in popularity and relevance and the core ITV daytime audience won’t care that much as the majority of nominated films will be films they have never heard off.

I think the fact so many films that get nominated for and win oscars these days are non-mainstream arty films has a lot to do with the declining popularity.  South Korean arthouse films aren't going to get your average person interested.

Well with no end in sight for the writers and actors strike come the 2025 ceremony it might only be South Korean arthouse films in contention.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Brekkie's post:
  • benzj

I would have thought the main aim will be to get the ITVX brand out there further

I can’t imagine the rights for something that airs in the middle of the night will have cost that much

Must be a chance they won’t be any Oscars next year as the strikes could still be ongoing then.

(16-09-2023, 01:47 PM)Newshound47 Wrote:  Must be a chance they won’t be any Oscars next year as the strikes could still be ongoing then.
Let's not forget this year's MTV Movie & TV Awards was affected by the writer's strike (long before the members of SAG-AFTRA, representing the actors and actresses, joined the picket line), resulted in host Drew Barrymore dropping out in support of the striking writers and a virtual ceremony replaced it.

People are naive if they think the strikes will be going for another year. Financially it's not sustainable to do so for either union.

(17-09-2023, 07:14 PM)XIII Wrote:  People are naive if they think the strikes will be going for another year. Financially it's not sustainable to do so for either union.

Just as naive to rule it out too, although based on previous strikes you'd expect them to be resolved by the end of the year.   The WGA strike is already their third longest and would become their longest in 2-3 weeks, and the actors strike is only a month off doing the same for the SAG-AFTRA strike too.   However publicly at least very little progress seems to have been made.

I think the difference this time is the need to return with streamers in the way it would have been in the past with broadcasters - partly because they're is likely a stockpile of post-pandemic content (as seen in the UK), partly because archive content works better for streamers than traditional broadcasters (Suits has found a new life this year for example) and partly because they are able to use international content too.

Ultimately though I suspect at worst the ceremony would be delayed rather than cancelled - and indeed the strikes may end up bringing more attention to it in the end.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Brekkie's post:
  • UTVLifer