Steve Wright and Paul Gambaccini get new Radio 2 shows

Not surprised- if there was one thing that showed him up as the dated DJ he was it's Serious Jockin'.
[-] The following 3 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • ethanjbrady, Spencer, Toby brown

(16-08-2023, 12:55 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Not surprised- if there was one thing that showed him up as the dated DJ he was it's Serious Jockin'.

Completely agree it was a very cringey feature
[-] The following 1 user Likes Toby brown's post:
  • Brekkie

Wonder if he'll still be allowed to apply his own compression and/or EQ settings to all the songs when he does Pick of the Pops.

[Image: 1592580878_1869298444.svg]

(16-08-2023, 01:25 PM)Toby brown Wrote:  Completely agree it was a very cringey feature
On the other hand, it was just a bit of fun. The point of it was to be a little cringey.
[-] The following 4 users Like TVViewer256's post:
  • bilky asko, Bungo Bill, Larry the Loafer, Rorylufc

(16-08-2023, 01:25 PM)Toby brown Wrote:  Completely agree it was a very cringey feature

I struggle to think of much that WASN'T cringey about his show.
[-] The following 4 users Like James2001's post:
  • Brekkie, ethanjbrady, KatsKaravan, Spencer

(16-08-2023, 02:56 PM)James2001 Wrote:  I struggle to think of much that WASN'T cringey about his show.

I think the afternoon show was just a tired format at the end of the shows run last year. Steve is a great presenter but the show did need a refresh and scott has done an amazing job at refreshing it
[-] The following 1 user Likes Toby brown's post:
  • Brekkie

Serious Fader W***in'... sorry Serious Jockin' was supposed to be tongue in cheek, unlike the rest of it that was organically cheesy and cringey.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Steve in Pudsey's post:
  • London Lite

Also worth noting that Steve’s covering for Jo Whiley next week from 7-9pm (Mon-Thurs) with a show called ‘Steve Wright’s Summer Nights’.
[-] The following 1 user Likes TVViewer256's post:
  • Omnipresent

(16-08-2023, 12:55 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Not surprised- if there was one thing that showed him up as the dated DJ he was it's Serious Jockin'.

Having the word "serious" in the title of the slot is pretty clear sarcasm. Having to explain that feels like having to explain comedy to Tumble Tower.
[-] The following 5 users Like bilky asko's post:
  • Bungo Bill, London Lite, thomash79, TVFan, TVViewer256

Overmodulation for effect in radio is a very US thing - from gimmicks of pushing the EQ faders up from a muddier position to coincide with a rebrand to 'hi-fi' radio, or indeed pushing to overcome AM distortion. A man who spent as long as he did absorbing US radio culture probably saw a comic potential for it. The fact that it's taken at face value is a damning indictment on much of the radio fanbase I'm afraid to say - but I can see why. Personally, I always thought it was a pot shot at the likes of Pete Tong's shows, that always seemed to make my radio physically vibrate with overloaded bass.