Rugby World Cup 2023

(15-10-2023, 07:25 PM)Ben Shatliff Wrote:  I prefer ITV to BBC but I am very disappointed that the Rugby World Cup has caused less News Coverage over the weekends.

We need to know what it happening in Ukraine 🇺🇦 as well as in The Middle East and having short teatime bulletins is not very good.

I  apologise if this is in the wrong thread but just wanted to air my view.

We do need to see Sport but we still have to see the News.

The Presentation for the Rugby has been brilliant.
There are bulletins and if you really need to know there are multiple avenues to get your information.   Sometimes having 3 minutes rather than 30 minutes to cover a big story is actually beneficial.

Personally as the world gets crazier the news that I feel I really need to know get less and less.

On to the rugby and really want to praise ITV for sticking with the stadium feed much longer than they usually do in all four matches this weekend before going to an ad breaks.  It really makes such a difference to the viewing experience, especially after a match like that.  And that.  And that.  And that.

Four fantastic quarter finals which show why free to air coverage is so important.
[-] The following 4 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • itvblocks, JamieD, News Engineer, Scratch_Perry

(15-10-2023, 07:25 PM)Ben Shatliff Wrote:  I prefer ITV to BBC but I am very disappointed that the Rugby World Cup has caused less News Coverage over the weekends.

We need to know what it happening in Ukraine 🇺🇦 as well as in The Middle East and having short teatime bulletins is not very good.

I  apologise if this is in the wrong thread but just wanted to air my view.

We do need to see Sport but we still have to see the News.

The Presentation for the Rugby has been brilliant.

I for one like the short news bulletins. There is so much crap happening at the moment in the world its nice to have a bit of escapism from it during the weekend
[-] The following 2 users Like shropshireguy28's post:
  • Brekkie, itvblocks

(15-10-2023, 10:01 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  On to the rugby and really want to praise ITV for sticking with the stadium feed much longer than they usually do in all four matches this weekend before going to an ad breaks.  It really makes such a difference to the viewing experience, especially after a match like that.  And that.  And that.  And that.

Four fantastic quarter finals which show why free to air coverage is so important.

Brilliant quarter-final ties.

Wherever you were a fan of one of the teams involved or you were a neutral, your heart was definitely in your mouth for at least a couple of them. (i.e. Ireland v New Zealand, the last 15 minutes of the England match and France v South Africa)

Fantastic weekend of rugby, sadly I'll be out for the England semi-final Cry

(13-10-2023, 08:00 PM)Scratch_Perry Wrote:  In my opinion Jill has the better deal with - on paper - the two best quarter-finals.
I'll rephrase that; she had the best deal! Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes Scratch_Perry's post:
  • itvblocks

(15-10-2023, 11:52 PM)shropshireguy28 Wrote:  I for one like the short news bulletins. There is so much crap happening at the moment in the world its nice to have a bit of escapism from it during the weekend

Forgot to mention this last night but I also like the fact they're doing the short form news bulletins too, it's good not having so much doom being thrown at you at once.

Which leads me onto my next point - look after yourselves everyone.

It's an extremely sorry state of affairs in the world at this present time but it's things like the Rugby World Cup, Big Brother.etc (wherever it's your cup of tea or not) that can provide a temporary antidote to get through the storm clouds.

The weekend just gone provided us some gripping match-ups and a form of escapism that a lot of people (including myself) would've needed at this time.

Too much of anything can be bad for anybody and that includes the news, so take it in moderation (I for one can't even watch the news so I guess I'm fine on that front)

Bit much I know for the RWC thread, but I feel this is important to share nevertheless.
[-] The following 1 user Likes itvblocks's post:
  • Ben Shatliff

Ratings wise, England v South Africa peaked at 8.5 million last night (5.2 million throughout)

Argentina v New Zealand - despite being very one-sided - managed to peak at 4.7 million.

x.com 
[-] The following 1 user Likes lookoutwales's post:
  • itvblocks

Was wondering how it was rating. Like everything else that feels a bit underwhelming.
[-] The following 3 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • AJB39, lookoutwales, Reith85

(22-10-2023, 07:52 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Was wondering how it was rating.  Like everything else that feels a bit underwhelming.

Yep. That’s much lower than an England Football World Cup Semi Final would get male or female.
[-] The following 2 users Like AJB39's post:
  • itvblocks, Reith85

The 2003 final got 15m (though at lunchtime) and the final last time with England got less than that, so it probably reflects the general decline in linear viewing though of course football bucks that trend for the big tournament matches.
[-] The following 2 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • AJB39, itvblocks

Is the Rugby World Cup always so drawn out? It's 7 weeks from start to finish. I don't think it helps with most of the games at weekends.

The football World Cup is usually done in 4 weeks and has much better momentum.
[-] The following 1 user Likes eyeTV's post:
  • itvblocks