An Audience with...

(04-09-2023, 04:22 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  I've seen some moaning they should be inviting comedians instead but I struggle really to see who given the current crop of comedians tend to work for everyone except ITV. John Bishop perhaps the closest to being an ITV facealong with Joel Dommett (though probably considered a presenter more than comedian nowadays) but can't say either would particularly have the pull for An Audience with...

Peter Kay is perhaps the someone who has the cross generational appeal that might work for ITV - but not many more I can think of.

When you look at the list of the previous comedians who have been on 'An Audience with...' they're mostly all ones that were of the variety entertainer type and had multiple skills. Not many of today's crop of comedians are like that with perhaps the exception of Bradley Walsh and Jason Manford and maybe Bill Bailey or Michael McIntyre who would probably work. Alexander Armstrong can also sing, but he's become more of a presenter than a comedian these days.

The only other route you could really go down if not a comedian or a music act would be some speciality acts like Penn & Teller for example.

(04-09-2023, 04:22 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  I've seen some moaning they should be inviting comedians instead but I struggle really to see who given the current crop of comedians tend to work for everyone except ITV.  John Bishop perhaps the closest to being an ITV facealong with Joel Dommett (though probably considered a presenter more than comedian nowadays) but can't say either would particularly have the pull for An Audience with...   

Peter Kay is perhaps the someone who has the cross generational appeal that might work for ITV - but not many more I can think of.
Michael McIntyre would probably have that same pull but he’s far too associated with the BBC these days.

This may be spinning off into a discussion worthy of it's own thread but have the BBC ever had an equivalent show?

(04-09-2023, 09:44 PM)Gary Baldy Wrote:  Michael McIntyre would probably have that same pull but he’s far too associated with the BBC these days.

An Audience With was never about being a show only for ITV stars to appear on - it is a one off show, so Michael could appear on it with no problem.

(04-09-2023, 11:09 PM)JMT1985 Wrote:  An Audience With was never about being a show only for ITV stars to appear on - it is a one off show, so Michael could appear on it with no problem.

I guess he could… but why would he? He’s got 6 episodes of Big Show to fill with bits of his comedy and then gets paid big money by Netflix for his full stand up set

(04-09-2023, 11:19 PM)Ash101 Wrote:  I guess he could… but why would he? He’s got 6 episodes of Big Show to fill with bits of his comedy and then gets paid big money by Netflix for his full stand up set

For a very big fee from ITV, possibly paying more for one An Audience With than the BBC pays for his entire Big Show and The Wheel run combined, he might be persuaded to do it.

Wasn’t one of the last ones they did that wasn’t music ‘An Audience with Harry Hill’?

I think there are certain personalities who’d work. Brendan O’Carol as Mrs Brown if he ever left the BBC, Jimmy Carr possibly if it was in a later slot, someone like Jon Culshaw or another impressionist. There are probably reasons why most of those stars wouldn’t appear but I think there is enough to make it work for what is only ever occasional ones off. As for not wanting give away material for upcoming stand up shows I think the faux Q&A nature of the format lends it for the stars to do something different and they can use jokes from their entire catalogues.

Ultimately it would be a paid gig for whoever did it and help them raise profile, particularly useful if they’re going on tour.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jon's post:
  • JMT1985

The last edition before Adele’s in 2021 was a comedian. It was Les Dawson’s ‘An Audience with that never was’ in 2013.

(04-09-2023, 10:15 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  This may be spinning off into a discussion worthy of it's own thread but have the BBC ever had an equivalent show?

I think "The One....." was sort of the BBC's equivalent but didn't last very long.

The first episode was a one off for Ronnie Corbett's 80th birthday (and to use the obvious neame "The One Ronnie", but a few others aired afterwards with Lenny Henry and Griff Rhys-Jones.

(04-09-2023, 06:50 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Well not for what ITV would pay.  Netflix on the other hand...

Indeed there is zero chance Kay or Mcintyre would waste an entire arena tour's worth of material on a TV one off unless you're  paying silly Netflix ££