BBC, ITV, C4 and C5 to launch joint streaming service

(10-02-2024, 01:06 PM)Dan Wrote:  I'd imagine if they were to eventually launch on streaming devices, Apple TV would likely be the main one of interest. In the same way Sky have made Sky Go available on the ATV, its closed platform would mean its way more difficult for anyone to read the app's code and extract the streaming URLs. Any Android TV based platform would be unappealing. If Amazon are really moving away from FireOS on their future firesticks to VegaOS, maybe this will make them more confident in making the app available on those devices.
I don't think that's the issue to be honest - if they wanted to make an IPTV app then there are ways of dumping apps and extracting the assets, how useful they are depends on if the streams are encrypted at source (not clear on that yet).

I think Everyone TV are trying to create their own ecosystem which rivals Apple TV, Google TV, Fire TV etc tho - where app developers pay them for carriage and manufacturers pay them for licensing. Creating an app which exists inside other ecosystems would undermine that, potentially.

For clarity I don't think this is 'the right strategy' but it's essentially the model Everyone TV and Freeview have used for 20 years at this point. I'd prefer for an open IPTV standard to be created (ala DVB-T[2] in the case of Freeview [HD]) and then Freely attached as an EPG to that.

[Image: signature.jpg]
chatps.com
[-] The following 1 user Likes WillPS's post:
  • ASnep

(10-02-2024, 01:06 PM)Dan Wrote:  I'd imagine if they were to eventually launch on streaming devices, Apple TV would likely be the main one of interest. In the same way Sky have made Sky Go available on the ATV, its closed platform would mean its way more difficult for anyone to read the app's code and extract the streaming URLs. Any Android TV based platform would be unappealing. If Amazon are really moving away from FireOS on their future firesticks to VegaOS, maybe this will make them more confident in making the app available on those devices.

You don't need to extract the apps for the URLs. All you need to do is install a new Root Certificate on the Apple TV, which is officially supported by Apple for development purposes. You then can pull the URLs from a packet capture.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ASnep's post:
  • chrisherald

Not the most glowing review of Freely as it currently stands. Only appears to have the PSB in the IP streaming line up.

www.cordbusters.co.uk 

www.techradar.com 

That's dumb, there's no reason it shouldn't have all the content available on Freeview and Freesat. Nobody's going to take Freely if it's an inferior lineup.

(4 hours ago)JAS84 Wrote:  That's dumb, there's no reason it shouldn't have all the content available on Freeview and Freesat. Nobody's going to take Freely if it's an inferior lineup.

It does if it’s plugged into an aerial. DTT channels sit alongside streamed ones.

I’m not sure which takes priority. It’s supposedly able to switch between the two if both a DTT and a stream of the same channel are available but I don’t know which it’d default to.

It does look neat though - that’s its selling point.

(4 hours ago)all new phil Wrote:  It does if it’s plugged into an aerial. DTT channels sit alongside streamed ones.

I’m not sure which takes priority. It’s supposedly able to switch between the two if both a DTT and a stream of the same channel are available but I don’t know which it’d default to.

It does look neat though - that’s its selling point.

I thought the default can be chosen by the relevant broadcaster. So, for instance, if someone had Freely hooked up to an aerial, the BBC could decide when the IP versions of its channels take over as the default. Can't swear to this, though.

I'd also like to know the tech specs of the streamed channels. Reportedly, the bitrates of HD channels on Sky Stream are superior to the same channel on satellite. Will Freely be the same? And will the BBC and ITV1 be fully regionalised?

For it to be successful they need a STB version that people can use on second TVs around the house.

Virgin Media seems to be getting a head start with their Stream box. Despite being locked to their broadband, once a one time fee is paid you have access to a large amount of FTV channels and in Ireland it appears to be the only box new customers can now get (I think). If you want to add channels you can on a monthly basis.

(4 hours ago)JAS84 Wrote:  That's dumb, there's no reason it shouldn't have all the content available on Freeview and Freesat. Nobody's going to take Freely if it's an inferior lineup.
Ideally they should simply upgrade Freeview Play devices to Freely. However, I'm guessing that older models may not be supported by manufacturers to receive the necessary update.

In the short-medium having a "Freely compatible" branding for new Freeview boxes and TVs may help. This might help with uptake. The delay to the forthcoming Manhattan T4-R of nearing a year makes me wonder if Freely might be a partial factor in its delay.

Formerly 'Charlie Wells' of TV Forum.

It's worth bearing in mind, also, that some satellite services could be winding down in as little as six years' time, with Freeview itself quite possibly having only another decade or so left. I'm sure the hope is that Freely, by then, will have matured enough to be the de facto 'default' way for TV sets to receive services, in much the same way as Freeview is now. (That's assuming linear services are still a thing by then)