Big Brother - Returns 2023, ITV2/ITVX

I think it is too soon, I also think this was a commission that was fine for ITV2 but I wouldn't have put it on ITV1, not with this casting.
[-] The following 1 user Likes eyeTV's post:
  • AJB39

(05-03-2024, 01:43 PM)mouseboy33 Wrote:  Hot Take..... was it way too soon to do basically another series of Big Brother right after the Civilian version concluded. This is where I think BBUK runs into a problem. Just far to many series seemingly back to back. Feels like the residue of the civilian series was just settling and boom back into it. Even if its a few weeks long. IMO its too much. And the audience quickly grows tired of the format. Could there be just a bit more space between series or maybe skip a year for CBBUK? Just a thought.
I'm surprised it is even shown daily at 9pm.

I understand linear TV is at an all time low, but maybe it's too much, and clearly there's less space left for peak dramas, by doing that

It's feels like that a large chunk of the money went on Sharon Osbourne and Lewis Walsh, with Fern and Ekin-Su making up the remainder of the well known faces for me along with Nikita from Strictly

(05-03-2024, 02:22 PM)eyeTV Wrote:  I think it is too soon, I also think this was a commission that was fine for ITV2 but I wouldn't have put it on ITV1, not with this casting.

The civilian series finished 4 months ago

I’m not sure it being too soon is a complaint I would have put on my list. I even think the hosting wasn’t too bad, there are many worse than AJ and Will who wouldn’t be able to cope with the celebs being all over the place.

The casting feeling like they were casting for ITV2 is the main problem for me. Someone like David Potts shouldn’t be on the main channel.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Andrew's post:
  • GMc

(04-03-2024, 11:18 PM)Juicy Joe Wrote:  What would John Logie Baird say & think about tonight's live CBB on the main independent terrestrial channel ITV1? I shudder to think.
Well the first thing he'd say is 'what is ITV?' Wink
[-] The following 3 users Like Stooky Bill's post:
  • callumwatchestelly, Juicy Joe, Kunst

Following along online I felt they were pulling a blinder when Louis Walsh and Sharon Osbourne went in, knowing that Fern Britton was all but confirmed I had pleasantly high hopes the prospect of the “main” ITV channel had enticed a solid level of celebrity and we were seeing a great revival… but someone’s uncle, however famous they are, should not be there. There’s scraping the barrel and then there’s digging through it into the soil underneath. Oh dear. Most of even the latter C5 lineups were better across the board. Osbourne isn’t even a housemate and she’s probably taken the whole pot of cash!
[-] The following 2 users Like Flux's post:
  • fanoftv, UTVLifer

It is unbelievably clunky this time around. I don’t even think the producers know what they’re doing with the launch twist - and whenever anyone (housemate or host) has to explain a task/twist it’s an awkwardly worded gobful.

I also just caught the end of L&L and it seems each celebrity doesn’t have a VT loop like the 2023 housemates did when they were being talked about. This means instead of anything aesthetically pleasing on that big eye screen, they just have a really closeup menacing crop of Kate Middleton’s Uncles face leering over everyone.

2.7m is way more than what a lot of shows get these days, but for what it costs to make and what they are getting back from it, CBB isn't at a level where corners won't be cut to save money. Just four months between series isn't great but ITV want viewers now and sadly they haven't got similar rating shows in abundance to create a bit more of a gap.

I don’t think it has been promoted insanely well - they went heavy on the promo during the BRITs but I still think that was too little too late. Maybe they thought the press coverage about the line-up would carry it but it feels like it kind of just arrived on Monday with no fanfare. Odd - because when the 2023 series came along I felt like I couldn’t escape the ads.

I don't think it says much about ITV's programming at the moment when the most exciting thing they can offer on a Monday night at 9pm is the second revival of Celebrity Big Brother.

[Image: 1592580878_1869298444.svg]