ITV Dancing On Ice - New Season

(27-09-2023, 07:11 PM)darrenlit94 Wrote:  The way they presented originally with Phil standing with Torvill and Dean and Holly standing with the judges worked with two presenters better. With them being judges now obviously there’s no need for that. Stephen was great when he filled in and I felt he added a bit of life into it so I hope it’s him.

I agree, Stephen was good fun when he filled in and I expect he'll end up getting the gig as the papers reported a few months ago....

But does he really need it? Indeed does Holly really need it? The show is in its dying era and just seems to plod on. The issues all seemed to stem from when they bought it back and Torvill and Dean just not quite working as judges vs their old role.

I think if Holly’s management are trying to sell her as the star and not make her appear as just being capable of co-hosting alongside some bloke, they’ll want her to host the show solo. I think it’s a show that would probably feel a bit more dynamic if it only had one presenter too. That constant two-shot of the pair they always seemed to use whenever you tuned in for a few minutes since the programme relaunched just felt very robotic and like they were glued together.

On the other hand Holly may work better with Stephen than she did with Phil and a new host joining coild breathe new life into it.

I much prefer the brief Jane McDonald rumour after the soap awards. She’d be a great fit paired up with younger male co-host.

Holly and Stephen have been confirmed as hosts this morning.
[-] The following 2 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • DE88, Juicy Joe

At least we know that combination works well.

But I don’t see DOI going beyond this series. I believe this is the last contracted one anyway, and it’s 40 years since the T&D Bolero so would be a well timed end to the show.

For me, everything the show got so right in its original run, it’s got so wrong in this run. The set (those awful video screens), the lighting (it’s all far too dark), the rink (the rink is actually bigger than the original one but it doesn’t come across as so in screen- maybe because the audience are no longer in shot it doesn’t look as spacious), the pros (they chop and change them so much and viewers don’t get to know them), the routines (there’s no Jai Ho iconic routines anymore), the celebs (very dull casts), the judging panel (no chemistry at all- misses a harsh judge too. Best panel was easily the final panel they had of the original run) etc- it’s all been extremely lacking. The show has no atmosphere at all, and I feel like the reason it does decent figures is because people are suffering from Strictly withdrawal symptoms in January so they tune into DOI. Strictly has the odd flat series here and there but it tends to recover from it pretty well- all 6 of DOI’s rebooted series have been flat (maybe 2022 wasn’t so bad).

I adored the original series of Dancing on Ice, but the revival just doesn’t feel like anybody wants to be there.
[-] The following 4 users Like Gary Baldy's post:
  • Ash101, Brekkie, DE88, fanoftv

I agree it’s coming to the end of its run but I’m not sure I agree on the set. It looks great.

I’ve always thought the show feels a bit cheaper than Strictly - the lack of a live band and the reliance on personalities like Gemma Collins are the biggest reasons I think.
[-] The following 1 user Likes all new phil's post:
  • JLav25

Can't really disagree with any of that and they've never really attempted to even fix the simple things that needed changing.

Usually a new host would be an excuse to make some presentational changes, refresh the look and make tweaks to the format but I suspect other than Stephen they'll be little change once again.
[-] The following 2 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • DE88, fanoftv

They need to locate the cameras from the other side of the rink and rotate them 180°. Then you would have the audience in view and the set would be more like the original & the atmosphere restored. I agree, the flat flashing colourful screens in view detract from the overall skating performance.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Juicy Joe's post:
  • DE88

(28-12-2023, 01:42 PM)all new phil Wrote:  I agree it’s coming to the end of its run but I’m not sure I agree on the set. It looks great.

I’ve always thought the show feels a bit cheaper than Strictly - the lack of a live band and the reliance on personalities like Gemma Collins are the biggest reasons I think.

Would agree with this Every since the reboot, DOI has felt tacky, and I think it is due to the Z list celebs and hasbeens who have made up most of the cast. At least with Strictly's lesser known names, they are up and coming younger ones who they are obviously want to worth with in future amd using Strictly to introduce them (Joe Sugg and AJ Odudu being examples).
[-] The following 1 user Likes JLav25's post:
  • all new phil

(28-12-2023, 01:49 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Can't really disagree with any of that and they've never really attempted to even fix the simple things that needed changing.

Usually a new host would be an excuse to make some presentational changes, refresh the look and make tweaks to the format but I suspect other than Stephen they'll be little change once again.

The only thing they really decided to change was to get rid of the backstage training rink after the 1st series of the revival - & make the rink slightly larger. Despite on numerous forums lists by fans of further improvements that could have been made, nothing has been done.