ITV Dancing On Ice - New Season

Tony Gubba (RIP) and *that* Todd Carty routine is probably what the majority of the viewers would mention as their memory of Dancing On Ice
[-] The following 2 users Like Johnr's post:
  • Brekkie, DE88

The only really change was cutting from 2 hours to 90 minutes most weeks, which on the whole did improve the show by improving the pace, but there seems to be no flexibility to extend beyond that in the couple of weeks the show would benefit from a longer running time.

Was looking at some clips of the Italian Strictly at the weekend and they similar to DoI have large screens as the backdrop (instead of the band) and it looks just as bad there.

Hard to disagree with anything that’s already been said. Something hasn’t felt right since they rebooted DOI, and sadly I do feel partly it’s to do with Torvill & Dean being apart of the judging panel.

They basically share the same views anyway, and it takes away the niceness of them being on the constants side when the judges were a bit meaner.

I’m not surprised by Stephen taking this on, but I do wonder if it’s worth the hassle for him. Not a great look if the show is cancelled after 1 series with him (although, could ITV plod on with another at least to save face post-Phil). Plus I’ve never had an issue with the number of different shows he does, as I think he’s a great entertainment host. But it’s not great for the “he’s always on TV” lot when this is just off the back of Deal.

Although I guess aside from his appearances on Takeaway and then In For A Penny, we wouldn't have see as much of him in this Q1 as Wheel of Fortune takes the usual Catchphrase slot.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Ash101's post:
  • DE88

I feel Stephen Mulhern will be a refreshing change for DOI. I don't feel Stephen would have taken on the role if he felt he couldn't reinvigorate the show. Jason Gardiner would make a welcome addition also but it won't happen & the show will still probably feel too nicey nicey. Despite this, I'm looking forward to the new presenting duo.

I wouldn't return to Jason Gardiner again but think James Jordan could take on that kind of role. That said I do think the current panel with Oti and Ashley alongside Torvill and Dean is the best since the revival - the problem is Jayne has never seemed comfortable in that role. Personally I'd go for a panel of three for scoring and judging and then use Torvill and Dean for comments but give them the sole vote in the skate off (which they effectively have anyway by one of them being "head judge" and them always trumping the choreography/dance judges if there is a split decision. I don't think T&D have ever voted differently in the skate off.

Overmarking is also a problem, but that's an issue with Strictly too. You don't get the appearance of progression when they start giving out 10s a few weeks out from the end for routines which are very good granted, but not perfection.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Brekkie's post:
  • Juicy Joe

(28-12-2023, 03:30 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  I wouldn't return to Jason Gardiner again but think James Jordan could take on that kind of role. That said I do think the current panel with Oti and Ashley alongside Torvill and Dean is the best since the revival - the problem is Jayne has never seemed comfortable in that role. Personally I'd go for a panel of three for scoring and judging and then use Torvill and Dean for comments but give them the sole vote in the skate off (which they effectively have anyway by one of them being "head judge" and them always trumping the choreography/dance judges if there is a split decision. I don't think T&D have ever voted differently in the skate off.

Overmarking is also a problem, but that's an issue with Strictly too. You don't get the appearance of progression when they start giving out 10s a few weeks out from the end for routines which are very good granted, but not perfection.

I wasn't a fan of Jason fan but I think the current panel are far too nice.

I think the fact there isn't a new generation of British ice skaters who have done well at the Winter Olympics means there isn't a successor to Torvill and Dean,

I do like Torville and Dean, but do not think they fit the judging role. They certainly know what they are talking about, but I think they lack the personality to be entertaining judges

I wonder if Stephen will leave Saturday Night Takeaway if he’ll be doing live tv on Sunday nights for a few weeks throughout the run.

I doubt it with it being the last series and think they only overlap 3 anyhow. Doesn't he only appear the weeks they do Ant v Dec anyway?

I've seen alot of comments about Stephen hosting everything but really other than Catchphrase and In for a Penny he doesn't do a huge amount in primetime, and ITV have been sensible to take Catchphrase out of the Saturday slot whilst Dancing on Ice is running on Sundays.

It's not difficult to do two different shows at the same time and also with SNT, it starts at the tail end of DOI so Stephen could do the latter half of the series.