ITV Dancing On Ice - New Season

Featuring Torvill and Dean into an actual Emmerdale storyline was a bit cringe tonight. I guess because one of the actresses is on DOI.

The real elephant in the room for me is the continued presence of Torvill & Dean. They can't judge (well, Chris is somewhat passable but Jayne is still dreadful after 6 seasons), don't have time to coach and any other role would have them taking up too much screen time. I always felt their roles in the original series overshadowed the contestants and especially the pro skaters.

I think they should cut ties with those two if it continues after this season. It's not like it gets the viewers anyway in the current format.
[-] The following 1 user Likes GlasgowCruiser's post:
  • DeMarkay

Stephen picked up presenting duties as if he’d always been doing it

He’s a pro when it comes to fast moving live TV
[-] The following 2 users Like Andrew's post:
  • DE88, DeMarkay

Stephen doing a great job on Dancing on Ice. Also great to see Holly back
[-] The following 3 users Like EJnutz's post:
  • Brekkie, DE88, DeMarkay

I wonder what the audience rating will be for this launch show? The 2023 launch got 4.6 million overnight I believe, so it will be interesting to see if they maintained this figure now a certain co-host is not there anymore.

I felt it a fairly rushed show, and of course, to try and annoy BBC 1, they overran and Call the Midwife was just starting as they announced who was in the skate off next week - a little trick by ITV to try and spoil the competition on BBC 1, but probably Strictly did this back in the autumn.

Stephen definitely adds a new layer of humour with his lines and delivery. Like above, he’s just an absolute pro.

Sadly DOI is still very stale and feels totally below par compared to Strictly….. I’ll still watch for the next 8 weeks though
[-] The following 3 users Like Ash101's post:
  • Brekkie, DE88, DeMarkay

Why they persist with the split launch and split skate off where one contestant gets a week to prep and one gets two minutes I don't know. The launch show leaves you feeling short changed as a result.
[-] The following 2 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • fanoftv, JMT1985

(14-01-2024, 09:55 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Why they persist with the split launch and split skate off where one contestant gets a week to prep and one gets two minutes I don't know. The launch show leaves you feeling short changed as a result.

Strictly learnt their lesson, as I remember back in the days when Brucie was host, they split the launch, but usually over two consecutive nights, not over two weeks if I remember right - better having a full launch show.

The reason DOI can't or won't do one launch show, is that with the amount of ad breaks, their launch show would run until 9pm and drag on for a long time.

I was hoping a new host would be a chance to freshen it up a little. I know that there was a big professional skater dance at the top of the show, but I still feel like it falls onto the air without any proper titles. Some small tweaks like introducing the hosts then introducing the skaters before their dance (though I remember that this strangely came in part way through last series) would go some way to making an entrance too. The set is still not a patch on either version from the original run, not helped by the over prominence of the screens and audience in the dark.

However, positives, it’s great to see Holly back in front of the camera. Stephen has brought a lovely new feeling with little jokes sprinkled through the show. It’s clever to use Stephen with Holly as they have great chemistry, a past working relationship and I’m sure it’s made Holly feel calmer about returning to air.
[-] The following 5 users Like fanoftv's post:
  • Brekkie, callumwatchestelly, DE88, DeMarkay, UTVLifer

(14-01-2024, 09:33 PM)JMT1985 Wrote:  I wonder what the audience rating will be for this launch show? The 2023 launch got 4.6 million overnight I believe, so it will be interesting to see if they maintained this figure now a certain co-host is not there anymore.

I felt it a fairly rushed show, and of course, to try and annoy BBC 1, they overran and Call the Midwife was just starting as they announced who was in the skate off next week - a little trick by ITV to try and spoil the competition on BBC 1, but probably Strictly did this back in the autumn.

But they were really pushed for time with all that non filler such as Josie being wheeled out for 5 minutes for the competition (only for Stephen to do the actual voiceover with the details!)