(16-02-2023, 07:55 PM)ginnyfan Wrote:  It's really hard to take him seriously at this point. The whole thing sounds like he's trolling on purpose. Maybe he thinks going viral will help the show?

Maybe he never wanted to do the morning show and just wants to be paid out for his contract.

(16-02-2023, 07:54 PM)mouseboy33 Wrote:  i agree that Don Lemon USED to and can be be good when he is just doing straight forward news anchoring. He is usually quite good when doing breaking news. Handling multiple things happening with a nice easy and calm voice. But since he started doing his own show and has become opinionated, its not for me personally. I kinda feel bad for him because he is shooting himself in the foot and clearly he doesnt realise or maybe he does and doesnt understand that Licht is trying to uncouple CNN from the opinion train that derailed the channel and its position of trust it used to have. And it looks like he is taking lots of heat for this latest episode. Presenters are people too and allowed to have their own opinions, but they have no business behind an anchor desk. (except on FNC (LOL)

In the words of Anne Robinson: Ditch the dead wood and vote off the weakest link! 

His time is up. He's sticking out like a sore thumb In Licht's vision for a cleaner CNN.

He was a really good anchor when he did Newsroom weekend evenings from Atlanta. When he moved to New York under Zucker he started to change a lot some of it probably was Zucker's encouragement and the promotions. He's said strange things before that's how his profile even got higher at CNN again under Zucker.

I'm honestly surprised Licht picked him for the morning show and after saying he wanted less opinion. Especially since he did make himself a divisive figure in primetime.
[-] The following 1 user Likes sky303's post:
  • mouseboy33

(16-02-2023, 07:57 PM)drnilescrane Wrote:  
(16-02-2023, 07:55 PM)ginnyfan Wrote:  It's really hard to take him seriously at this point. The whole thing sounds like he's trolling on purpose. Maybe he thinks going viral will help the show?

Maybe he never wanted to do the morning show and just wants to be paid out for his contract.

I think you're on to something. I've thought for while that he's trying deliberately to get himself sacked. I'm sure MSNBC will welcome him with open arms.

(16-02-2023, 09:08 PM)Kojak Wrote:  
(16-02-2023, 07:57 PM)drnilescrane Wrote:  Maybe he never wanted to do the morning show and just wants to be paid out for his contract.

I think you're on to something. I've thought for while that he's trying deliberately to get himself sacked. I'm sure MSNBC will welcome him with open arms.

He's more in the NewsNation league rather than MSNBC imo

(13-02-2023, 01:57 PM)TMD_24 Wrote:  EDIT: I just seen the schedule and now it is listed as "CNN Prime". Clearly lining up another present or format for that slot.
Indeed, CNN website shows it as a one-hour 9pm thing starting from next Tuesday, Feb. 21st. Monday 20th has 2 hours of "Tonight" 9-11pm.
The name for me echoes that of "Cuomo Prime Time", so as it is his former slot, this makes sense. Interestingly, when Cuomo got the boot they opted of the old name of Don's show, not more obvious "CNN Prime Time" -- may be because the latter involved more significant graphics refit.
More, it was weird that they did not change the name when they had put Jake in the slot in October. It was pre-planned, still with Don vacating the late slot in favour of the morning show, it resulted in 3 hours of "CNN Tonight", the first one very different from the last two (and on the website all three had a Jake photo in the schedule).

==========================================================================================

(09-02-2023, 10:54 PM)Newsroom Wrote:  I do suspect however that they'll utilise the Newsroom. 
Not sure if you were talking about New York newsroom (with 17N having a view of it) or Washington newsroom, but...
they apparently did some refit to Washington newsroom and are using it as a new backdrop, though only for their generic (i.e. not Pentagon or WH) DC reporters, not the show itself.
[Image: image.png]
[Image: image.png]
The whole thing has debuted no sooner than today. Although I give way to possibility that it is yet another LED or VR backdrop and not the real thing.

==========================================================================================

UPD. On a separate note (not to multiply own posts), Washington Post published an article on the heels of today's morning debacle and the following apology by Don:
www.washingtonpost.com 
Interestingly, some of the CNN staff think exactly the same as @Kojak and @drnilescrane:
Quote: Another female on-air personality told The Washington Post that the situation on the morning show is “unsustainable” in its current form. “We keep asking ourselves: Does he want to get booted off the show and go back to prime time in the evenings?”
[-] The following 1 user Likes oscillon's post:
  • Kojak

(17-02-2023, 02:02 AM)oscillon Wrote:  Interestingly, some of the CNN staff think exactly the same as @Kojak and @drnilescrane:
Quote: Another female on-air personality told The Washington Post that the situation on the morning show is “unsustainable” in its current form. “We keep asking ourselves: Does he want to get booted off the show and go back to prime time in the evenings?”

I'm certain he would prefer things go back to the way they were. As a former prime-time host he probably has a pay or play contract (unlike daytime talent who are probably easier to remove). Benching him would be expensive. 

He's clearly trying to tank mornings without rising the level of actual malfeasance and getting fired for cause. At least when CBS forced Gumbel onto the Early Show under similar circumstances he tried to make it work (a day 1 guest for CNN This Morning, if I remember correctly).  

But there's no way Licht is putting him back, nor should he.

Don appears to be off this morning, make that what you will. Poppy Harlow is off as well on assignment so Audie Cornish is alongside Kaitlin Collins today.

Don "takes the day off" today, and with Poppy doing an NBA all-star game interview, Kaitlan Collins is in the studio with Audie Cornish.
Not sure, but this might be the first time for this show to have a substitute anchor. UPD. No, they had Sarah Sidner on Boxing day.

(17-02-2023, 12:02 PM)TMD_24 Wrote:  Don appears to be off this morning, make that what you will. Poppy Harlow is off as well on assignment so Audie Cornish is alongside Kaitlin Collins today.

He announced yesterday that he was off or said something along the lines of 'have a great weekend everyone'.

(17-02-2023, 12:04 PM)oscillon Wrote:  Don "takes the day off" today, and with Poppy doing an NBA all-star game interview, Kaitlan Collins is in the studio with Audie Cornish. Not sure, but this might be the first time for this show to have a substitute anchor.
Sara Sidner has covered previously.