Thread Closed

Pick to become Sky Mix

(13-10-2023, 05:52 PM)Andrew Wood Wrote:  Pick now having problems with aspect ratio - on Freeview and Freesat. Widescreen compressed to 4:3 with the DOG in the left pillar.

theident.gallery 

Oddly, the HD streams are showing the correct widescreen ratio.
HD channels normally show the correct aspect ratio because they can broadcast with pillar boxes (or letterboxes for movies) because I think they do it within the broadcast itself rather than an ARC signal to someone's TV which they can't do through an HMDI connection.

I may have got that completely wrong technically, however, for example:

[*]If I watch Brookside in the lounge on an HDMI link, it's stretchy-vision, which I have to manually change
[*]If I watch the same recording in my bedroom via the RF TV Link from the Sky STB, it is shown correctly as the TV knows to change it.

I hope that made sense.

(13-10-2023, 11:58 PM)Stuart Wrote:  HD channels normally show the correct aspect ratio because they can broadcast with pillar boxes (or letterboxes for movies) because I think they do it within the broadcast itself rather than an ARC signal to someone's TV which they can't do through an HMDI connection.

I may have got that completely wrong technically, however, for example:

[*]If I watch Brookside in the lounge on an HDMI link, it's stretchy-vision, which I have to manually change
[*]If I watch the same recording in my bedroom via the RF TV Link from the Sky STB, it is shown correctly as the TV knows to change it.

I hope that made sense.

That's not what happened. They broadcast a 16:9 programme in a 16:9 frame but as 4:3 pillarbox. You can see the channel bug in black pillarbox area. It's a playout error in which the wrong AFD had been selected, so the playout servers ARC'd it to pillarbox it.

It seems the new Sky Mix HD channels that are testing are being played out separately to the existing Pick service, and that one was played out correctly. The interesting bit about that being that the existing Pick service is already played out in HD.

Also HDMI is able to signal 4:3 and 16:9 for SD sources, allowing TV's to switch mode as appropriate. This however doesn't work for HD sources which are of course always 16:9.

The issue you describe is unique to Sky's set top boxes, as when upscaling to HD they always (incorrectly) stretch 4:3 SD broadcasts to 16:9. Other set top boxes (e.g. Freeview, Freesat, etc) correctly pillarbox 4:3 broadcasts. Thankfully as HD channels become the norm, in which the broadcasters pillarbox on their end, this is becoming less of an issue.
[-] The following 11 users Like Orry Verducci's post:
  • Andrew Wood, benzj, bilky asko, ethanjbrady, Happy2001, interestednovice, London Lite, Nobby, Rex, Stuart, WillPS

(14-10-2023, 08:19 PM)Orry Verducci Wrote:  Also HDMI is able to signal 4:3 and 16:9 for SD sources, allowing TV's to switch mode as appropriate. This however doesn't work for HD sources which are of course always 16:9.

Apologies for the topic drift - but does this mean when you're watching a 1080p Blu Ray copy of an old programme in 4:3 a quarter of the available resolution is being 'wasted' on burned in black bars left and right?

[Image: signature.jpg]
chatps.com

Yes it does, though the nature of video compression means the black bars probably won't be taking much data to encode due to being black and static.
[-] The following 3 users Like James2001's post:
  • interestednovice, Stuart, WillPS

I've noticed that the Sky Mix promos on the HD streams aren't being shown - replaced with promos for Sky Arts.

[Image: tig96x96.png]

Sky Mix discussion continues here pres.cafe 

With cinnamon, never chocolate
Thread Closed