Thread Closed

Pick to become Sky Mix

Quite bizarre to see Sky Mix return as a name, although I'm sure many posters remember the whole "Sky Pick" thing where we all thought they were gonna rebrand into a Sky branded channel.

I guess Sky aren't afraid to have their brand name attached to a free to air channel anymore. Though I wonder if we're gonna see Challenge get a rebrand inevitably as well.
[-] The following 4 users Like Allanbuzzy's post:
  • bkman1990, interestednovice, Ma76, Roger Darthwell

(03-10-2023, 11:37 AM)LargelyALurker Wrote:  There was a Sky One Mix at one point
Yes, and that eventually became just Sky Mix, then Sky 2/Two, then Sky Replay.

Sky 3/Three became Pick TV, then Pick, now apparently Sky Mix.

Someone doesn't seem to have a very coherent long term branding policy. I actually watch Pick occasionally as it's not a bad channel.

(03-10-2023, 01:01 PM)Stuart Wrote:  Yes, and that eventually became just Sky Mix, then Sky 2/Two, then Sky Replay.

Sky 3/Three became Pick TV, then Pick, now apparently Sky Mix.

Someone doesn't seem to have a very coherent long term branding policy. I actually watch Pick occasionally as it's not a bad channel.

It'd be pretty ballsy/foolhardy to expect to understand the nature of the media landscape on a decade-ahead basis and then not deviate from those plans.

[Image: signature.jpg]
chatps.com

(03-10-2023, 01:06 PM)WillPS Wrote:  It'd be pretty ballsy/foolhardy to expect to understand the nature of the media landscape on a decade-ahead basis and then not deviate from those plans.
I'm not suggesting that they need tarot cards to predict the future, but you can change the nature of a channel without repeatedly changing the name.

BBC Two is a good example of how you can shift the target audience and personality of a channel over many decades but still keep the same name. They altered the on-screen idents to reflect the changes, but that's the nature of pres.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Stuart's post:
  • interestednovice

Yeah, in the 80s BBC Two was seen as a high brow channel. Then they ditched the TWO wordmark for the famous 2s, and it suddenly became cool to watch it! Branding is key. Honestly, Challenge is overdue a rebrand, the current idents are the longest serving they've ever had and they reference some shows they no longer have the rights to. Can see it becoming Sky Challenge soon, it and Pick often cross promote each other and that'll look odd once Pick rebrands.
[-] The following 5 users Like JAS84's post:
  • bkman1990, interestednovice, Ma76, Roger Darthwell, Stuart

(03-10-2023, 01:22 PM)Stuart Wrote:  I'm not suggesting that they need tarot cards to predict the future, but you can change the nature of a channel without repeatedly changing the name.

BBC Two is a good example of how you can shift the target audience and personality of a channel over many decades but still keep the same name. They altered the on-screen idents to reflect the changes, but that's the nature of pres.

Respectfully, there's a huge difference between a PSB's second channel and an FTA commercial channel which is almost a side hustle for a premium TV broadcaster. One is ubiquitous, one is Pick [TV].

[Image: signature.jpg]
chatps.com
[-] The following 9 users Like WillPS's post:
  • bilky asko, bkman1990, Brekkie, gottago, interestednovice, Jeff, Ma76, orange, Rex

Non-paywalled article.
rxtvinfo.com 
[-] The following 3 users Like JAS84's post:
  • interestednovice, Ma76, Stuart

(03-10-2023, 02:07 PM)WillPS Wrote:  Respectfully, there's a huge difference between a PSB's second channel and an FTA commercial channel which is almost a side hustle for a premium TV broadcaster. One is ubiquitous, one is Pick [TV].
I think you answered your own question. But it doesn't explain constant name changes.

I deeply disagree Challenge needs a name change.

It's basically a channel made up of repeats of a rather specific genre, there's nothing premium about it.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kunst's post:
  • Juicy Joe

(03-10-2023, 02:26 PM)Kunst Wrote:  I deeply disagree Challenge needs a name change.

It's basically a channel made up of repeats, there's nothing premium about it.
I concur. It's a niche audience watching old game shows which can be fun to see. I doubt they'd mind if they suddenly starting showing 50 year old episodes of the 'Golden Shot' or '3 2 1'. It's hardly a shop window where people might expect to see something contemporary to tempt them into a subscription service.

Pick, on the other hand, shows some good programmes. It doesn't really matter to many that you're seeing something that is 10 years old. They just select things which they knew were popular at the time and wheel them out FTA again for advertising revenue. I've watched 'Stargate Universe' on there a few times.  I can probably download it from a streaming service, but that requires some effort which I often lack. Tongue

Pick is rather like a version of Prime or Paramount+ where I don't have to think - I just have a look at what they're offering.
[-] The following 5 users Like Stuart's post:
  • bkman1990, insert_good_username_here, interestednovice, Kunst, Roger Darthwell
Thread Closed