Thread Closed

Pick to become Sky Mix

Yeah, one could argue Sky Mix also shows a lot of repeats, but at least, with the Sky associated brand, they can show also some premium bits in primetime as a kind of treat for FTA viewers.

What would they gain about Sky Challenge? Absolutely nothing.

Probably nothing from E! either, unless they don't want it somehow turn it into a general lifestyle channel, which I doubt.

So, from 18th October we'll have 'Sky Mix' and 'Sky Sports Mix'.

With two similar channel names I wonder if this is effectively brand alignment, or whether they might be planning to close 'Sky Sports Mix' in the not too distant future. If it's the latter I wonder if one of the movie channels might be renamed 'Sky Cinema Mix'.

It does leave Challenge as being the odd-one-out, with it not having a Sky prefix to it's name (at least not publicly). With Pick getting a rebrand I wonder whether something similar may happen with Challenge, or it long term Sky plan to axe it and use the Freeview slot for another channel (e.g. Sky Showcase).

Formerly 'Charlie Wells' of TV Forum.

I could only see Sky Cinema Mix working if they started adding to Movies 24 (the potentially rebrand channel) some premium movies to the mix here and there, mostly in primetime, as a kind of treat for non-Cinema subscribers.

But as for now, I don't think they want the cheap movies mix to be associated with Sky Cinema, at least I don't think so.

Sky Challenge is to be excluded categorically (as "Sky E!" also is).
But I think they need to sort out somehow the current Entertainment offer: Sky Replay I think should or could close, it's pretty "irrelevant"; Sky Showcase still hasn't updated the ident to have Sky Sci Fi in it, and, I think that while it's the not first world priorities, Sky Max could move to 106 with Showcase being shut down, and bringing back the Sky One in concept (as Sky Max).

I really understand the initial intent of Showcase, but I think people are better off with a more general entertainment channel on 106, while Sky Max is maybe too focused on repeats.
Sky Max would benefit from getting back The Simpsons in terms of variety, while the rest would much be less susceptible to change, as Sky Showcase offers nothing new.

I think ECP/IPPs and cross promotions can easily replace the Sky Showcase concept, as On Demand ultimately can

(03-10-2023, 02:57 PM)Keith Wrote:  So, from 18th October we'll have 'Sky Mix' and 'Sky Sports Mix'. 

With two similar channel names I wonder if this is effectively brand alignment, or whether they might be planning to close 'Sky Sports Mix' in the not too distant future.  If it's the latter I wonder if one of the movie channels might be renamed 'Sky Cinema Mix'.

It does leave Challenge as being the odd-one-out, with it not having a Sky prefix to it's name (at least not publicly).  With Pick getting a rebrand I wonder whether something similar may happen with Challenge, or it long term Sky plan to axe it and use the Freeview slot for another channel (e.g. Sky Showcase).
There has been 'Sky Cinema Action' and 'Sky Sports Action' for years. They seem to like duplicating elements of channel names. Perhaps there is a lack of creativity. You're also forgetting that there is already a 'Sky Max'.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Stuart's post:
  • Kunst

Did I just get transported back to 2005?

On a serious note this continues to reflect the change that Sky has aimed for with its FTA services. They seem more willing to offer a mix of what Sky offers to its pay TV customers. The Pick name was only there to avoid diluting the brand, I think that philosophy has gone entirely.
[-] The following 7 users Like Rex's post:
  • benzj, bkman1990, insert_good_username_here, interestednovice, Jeff, Ma76, Roger Darthwell

This does make sense with some information of the Sky section of the TV Channel Lists website that suggested Pick was testing in HD again (not always the most reliable source of information, though does show the manual tuning information).

I think it probably will sit alongside Sky Sports Mix, though it also depends what happens down the line if Sky intend to launch a full time Sky Sports Tennis channel, which I think is likely and could possible replace Mix, and most of the lucrative "free" events are shown on Showcase anyway rather than Mix which is more overspill for live content these days.
[-] The following 4 users Like PATV Scunthorpe's post:
  • bkman1990, interestednovice, Jeff, Roger Darthwell

(03-10-2023, 03:46 PM)Stuart Wrote:  There has been 'Sky Cinema Action' and 'Sky Sports Action' for years. They seem to like duplicating elements of channel names. Perhaps there is a lack of creativity. You're also forgetting that there is already a 'Sky Max'.
Let's remember they had Sky 1, Sky Sports 1 and Sky Movies 1 and Sky Movies Cinema 1 for a period.   It's not particularly an issue.

Interesting with the talk of a potential "Sky Cinema Mix" they're pushing it as the exclusive Freeview homes of Sky Original Movies, and it will simulcast original Sky Arts commissions too as a concession for moving Sky Arts down the EPG.

Wouldn't be surprised if using it more for any free Sky Sports content is part of the plan too, especially premium rights they'd otherwise be under pressure to sell on.
[-] The following 2 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • Ma76, Roger Darthwell

Here's the schedule for the first day of Sky Mix. It looks as if Pick will be showing promotions until 11am when the Sky guide is updated to reflect the launch of Mix.

6am - Sky Mix Coming Soon
11am - Highway Patrol
12pm - Motorway Patrol
1pm - Border Patrol
2pm - Border Security USA
3pm - Nothing to Declare
4pm - Stargate Atlantis
5pm - Stargate SG-1
6pm - Star Trek: Enterprise
7pm - Star Trek: Voyager
8pm - Magnum PI
9pm - Liverpool Narcos
10pm - Bruno v Tyson
11:45pm - Snapped
12:40am - How I Caught The Killer
1:30am - Brit Cops: Rapid Response
2:30am - Road Wars
3am - Highway Patrol
4am - Motorway Patrol
5am - Highway Cops
[-] The following 3 users Like Rex's post:
  • bkman1990, Ma76, Roger Darthwell

(03-10-2023, 04:24 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Let's remember they had Sky 1, Sky Sports 1 and Sky Movies 1 and Sky Movies Cinema 1 for a period.   It's not particularly an issue.
Having channels of different genres clearly defined with consecutive numerals is not quite the same as trying to use a similar suffix for completely different ones within other sections of the EPG.  Calling many channels 'Mix' is not comparable.

Calling 3 different channels 'Mix' shows a lack of imagination, to say the least, on the part of Comcast.

(03-10-2023, 04:53 PM)Rex Wrote:  Here's the schedule for the first day of Sky Mix. It looks as if Pick will be showing promotions until 11am when the Sky guide is updated to reflect the launch of Mix.

So essentially, (mostly the) same s**t, different name.  Big Grin
[-] The following 7 users Like rick's post:
  • bkman1990, Brekkie, GMc, Ma76, Ste, Stuart, Tola
Thread Closed