BBC One Christmas 2023

How come nearly all of the time BBC1 in the North is played out from Salford, but yet the announcements before the Super League Show are always played out from Leeds instead?
[-] The following 2 users Like JACKLUFC1998's post:
  • Roger Darthwell, Spencer

And don't they still play the pre-recorded announcements for the news too?

Doing the news junction locally makes total sense, as Leeds, Hull, Newcastle and Salford (NWT) need to announce different presenters.

I suspect the reason for BBC1 North not playing out the SuperLeague show is that the facility is primarily there to back up network, so Salford's NC1 needs to be playing out the network offering in case the W12 NC1 goes down during the opt out.

They don't need to staff three galleries to do that playout these days, although it's slightly surprising that they still play it from Leeds rather than an HD capable region.
[-] The following 2 users Like Steve in Pudsey's post:
  • interestednovice, JACKLUFC1998

(18-12-2023, 07:51 PM)Steve in Pudsey Wrote:  They don't need to staff three galleries to do that playout these days, although it's slightly surprising that they still play it from Leeds rather than an HD capable region.
Not watching the programme or being in any of the three regions, is the SL show produced in HD by an indie? I don't know why I always thought it was a bit similar to LKO in production terms, using the local facilities.

Why does it need to be made in Leeds full stop could be the next argument, move it into the main BBC Sport Centre at Salford...

Edit: I also assume the continuity announcement and ident are part of the completed programme so the end of the junction is 'burned in' to the programme?

The very first series was made at Oxford Road (presented by Harry Gration), then it moved to Leeds. It got farmed out to an indie at some point using Leeds facilities, but they stopped using the Leeds studio a while ago I think, and record on location.

Presumably the current arrangement is cheaper, it's an English Regions commission rather than BBC Sport.

I don't know about the ident being burned in, as it also gets a network airing so presumably they would have to do a different edit without it for them?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Steve in Pudsey's post:
  • Mike

Burnt in isn't really the right term - it'll be edited into the beginning of the programme.

And yes it will almost certainly will be as that's the easiest way of doing it. No point over complicating the playout by playing multiple clips. It also makes the timing easier - opt outs have to be quite precise as network will have left exactly the right amount of time for them

(17-12-2023, 05:09 PM)Josh Wrote:  BBC One showing Ricky & Ralf's Very Northern Road Trip from UKTV this week, originally shown on Gold. Don't think I've seen UKTV programmes syndicated on the BBC before.

Just been told this now, in February/March of this year BBC Three aired Big Zuu's Big Eats from Dave.
www.bbc.co.uk 
[-] The following 1 user Likes callumwatchestelly's post:
  • Josh

(23-12-2023, 04:11 PM)callumwatchestelly Wrote:  Just been told this now, in February/March of this year BBC Three aired Big Zuu's Big Eats from Dave.
www.bbc.co.uk 

It's happened a few times this year. Anneka which aired on BBC One over the summer was originally shown on alibi.

(17-12-2023, 05:09 PM)Josh Wrote:  BBC One showing Ricky & Ralf's Very Northern Road Trip from UKTV this week, originally shown on Gold. Don't think I've seen UKTV programmes syndicated on the BBC before.
BBC Two showed Rock Profile at one point, originally that was made for UK Play.

Oddly they also used it for a promo/advert about the license fee, which probably wasn't the best choice seeing as it was made for a commercial subscription channel Dodgy
[-] The following 1 user Likes Stooky Bill's post:
  • Roger Darthwell

There was a revival of Ask the Family hosted by Alan Titchmarsh in 1999 which was first shown on UK Gold and then later repeated on BBC2.