Sky Mix

(18-10-2023, 05:51 PM)interestednovice Wrote:  These idents look very professional and, dare I say, quite “premium” so do perhaps signal a change in approach from Pick’s more basic image. I like it!

It seems like Sky are going for a genuine effort to make the channel more enticing to free viewers, to really try to get them interested in Sky’s other content.
I concur. They've thrown more than the kitchen sink at these. They are all very nice.

However, I will miss the cat from the Pick idents. Tongue
[-] The following 3 users Like Stuart's post:
  • bkman1990, interestednovice, UTVLifer

(18-10-2023, 11:45 AM)rick Wrote:  The DOG staying on is an odd choice. Sky Arts is FTA and they don't keep the DOG on constantly for that. Unless that's about to change too?

You have to remember one of the primary aims of this channel is to attract viewers to Sky's subscription services. So from a marketing point of view it's in their interest to keep the DOG, and more importantly the Sky logo, on the screen.
[-] The following 13 users Like Orry Verducci's post:
  • Allanbuzzy, bkman1990, BlueFrog, DeMarkay, IanJRedman, interestednovice, JamieD, Jeff, Roger Darthwell, thomash79, TVFan, UTVLifer, what

And of course Sky Arts is pretty much what BBC Four would look like with a fatter budget.
BBC Four were a bit selective with the DOG as well particularly when they aired things like operas and foreign film, but would leave it on for pretty much everything else. Sky Arts just took that to its logical conclusion and followed the rest of the Sky branded channels.

With regards to Mix, idents look nice, but having looked at the schedule, can't see anything that Pick probably wasn't already showing, so unless I'm missing something which I probably am, this looks at this time like the same programming in new packaging.
[-] The following 2 users Like Neil Jones's post:
  • bkman1990, interestednovice

(18-10-2023, 11:50 PM)Neil Jones Wrote:  And of course Sky Arts is pretty much what BBC Four would look like with a fatter budget.
BBC Four were a bit selective with the DOG as well particularly when they aired things like operas and foreign film, but would leave it on for pretty much everything else.  Sky Arts just took that to its logical conclusion and followed the rest of the Sky branded channels.

With regards to Mix, idents look nice, but having looked at the schedule, can't see anything that Pick probably wasn't already showing, so unless I'm missing something which I probably am, this looks at this time like the same programming in new packaging.

I think the idea is that primetime will include a slot of recent, fairly-appealing Sky shows (with Mix acting as a kind of FTA version of Sky Showcase) but the rest of the time will be mainly filler programmes, of no real value, that they can put out cheaply - so similar to how Pick was, but possibly with some better primetime programming. I imagine this might be phased in over time to warm viewers up to the idea.

Meanwhile, now that the channel is Sky branded, if they do want to do something more significant (such as a Sky Sports free weekend) they can, as and when they want to, because it’s more obviously a Sky channel.

I won't be surprised if they start making original content for the channel, like moving nmtb to mix, and perhaps introducing news slots as well. This could even become a crown jewel in sky's portfolio.

I would not be surprised if it is eventually used as an outlet for Sky kids content. They could have also simulcast Sky News @ breakfast, 6am seems to just be teleshopping unless they are seeing out an existing contract.

still, a good way to push Sky Glass and Sky Stream adverts to FTA users. They also have a FTA outlet which makes it more attractive to sports rights holders, if certain games need to be shown FTA, made more attractive due to the HD feed sort of like the Quest and BT Sport Showcase of old.
[-] The following 2 users Like cable's post:
  • interestednovice, Jeff

I'm sure there was a period, I think probably towards the end of the Eamonn Holmes era, where Pick did show Sunrise. I can imagine it was probably short-lived. I'm surprised to see Sky Showcase are still broadcasting Sky News' morning block 5-8am. Odd it doesn't extend until 9, as you get twice as much Early Rundown as you do Kay. I assume 'Air Ambulance ER' at 8am rates higher?
[-] The following 1 user Likes JK08's post:
  • interestednovice

(18-10-2023, 10:22 PM)Orry Verducci Wrote:  You have to remember one of the primary aims of this channel is to attract viewers to Sky's subscription services. So from a marketing point of view it's in their interest to keep the DOG, and more importantly the Sky logo, on the screen.
I'm not sure whether that is still the case.

Changing it back to a Sky branded channel is perhaps more in response to the move of many people who use free channels, streaming or free catch-up services. I think the very feint DOG is temporary to emphasise the change. I'm guessing it will eventually adopt the same policy as Sky Arts.

It may well be a 'barker' for their brand in view of the trailers/promos, but they are no different to on Pick/Sky3. I think it's more to do with advertising revenue.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Stuart's post:
  • interestednovice

(21-10-2023, 02:55 PM)Stuart Wrote:  I'm not sure whether that is still the case.

Changing it back to a Sky branded channel is perhaps more in response to the move of many people who use free channels, streaming or free catch-up services. I think the very feint DOG is temporary to emphasise the change. I'm guessing it will eventually adopt the same policy as Sky Arts.

It may well be a 'barker' for their brand in view of the trailers/promos, but they are no different to on Pick/Sky3. I think it's more to do with advertising revenue.
This service, in all its various branding incarnations, has always been dual-purpose.

Firstly, to advertise to and attempt to “convert” FTA viewers into paying Sky customers.

Secondly, to make a bit of FTA advertising revenue off the service at the same time, using largely “low value” content that they already have rights to and, due to age or otherwise, has limited “premium value” behind the paywall on their other channels. This way, they avoid the service being a total loss-leader while achieving objective one, and also crucially don’t erode the appeal of or cannibalise their pay TV offering.

The only thing that’s changed over the years has been the brand positioning as the market has moved and they’ve decided whether it’s been beneficial to associate with the Sky name or not. This new association with Sky branding perhaps indicates a slight change in approach as they may now be pushing the envelope a bit more into premium territory to show off their range of programming more to FTA viewers, basically to more aggressively market Sky Stream, but the thinking in terms of overall strategy is no different to the bargain basement era of Pick.
[-] The following 6 users Like interestednovice's post:
  • bkman1990, Happy2001, Hellsloot, Jeff, Stuart, UTVLifer

(21-10-2023, 05:28 PM)interestednovice Wrote:  This service, in all its various branding incarnations, has always been dual-purpose.

Firstly, to advertise to and attempt to “convert” FTA viewers into paying Sky customers.

Secondly, to make a bit of FTA advertising revenue off the service at the same time, using largely “low value” content that they already have rights to and, due to age or otherwise, has limited “premium value” behind the paywall on their other channels. This way, they avoid the service being a total loss-leader while achieving objective one, and also crucially don’t erode the appeal of or cannibalise their pay TV offering.

The only thing that’s changed over the years has been the brand positioning as the market has moved and they’ve decided whether it’s been beneficial to associate with the Sky name or not. This new association with Sky branding perhaps indicates a slight change in approach as they may now be pushing the envelope a bit more into premium territory to show off their range of programming more to FTA viewers, basically to more aggressively market Sky Stream, but the thinking in terms of overall strategy is no different to the bargain basement era of Pick.

There was also the third purpose in the Sky Travel/early Sky Three era, of selling package holidays...

[Image: signature.jpg]
chatps.com