Steph's Packed Lunch to end in December

A real shame but it just never found an audience. Really feel though having a live element within the schedule lifted an otherwise fairly mundane C4 daytime schedule.
[-] The following 3 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • Gary Baldy, Spencer, UTVLifer

(19-10-2023, 03:29 PM)RDJ Wrote:  Ironically today’s edition was the first I watched for a while and I found it quite refreshing when compared to the likes of This Morning.

It’s a shame it’s ending but probably not surprising. If they did have faith in the format, they would have moved it earlier and pitted it against This Morning and Morning Live.
Presumably it’s because they thought it had some value they didn’t waste it by putting up against two similar shows that are likely to beat it by the very fact they’re on bigger channels. 

Could we see something else similar replace Doctors on BBC One as it’s presumably cheaper to produce than that.

I think it’s a shame I like the fact it came close to where I work, I don’t think it was that bad.

(19-10-2023, 05:59 PM)Jon Wrote:  Presumably it’s because they thought it had some value they didn’t waste it by putting up against two similar shows that are likely to beat it by the very fact they’re on bigger channels. 

Could we see something else similar replace Doctors on BBC One as it’s presumably cheaper to produce than that.

I can't imagine BBC One wasting money on a Packed Lunch type programme, they've got enough live programming as it is.
[-] The following 1 user Likes XIII's post:
  • Stuart

(19-10-2023, 07:09 PM)XIII Wrote:  I can't imagine BBC One wasting money on a Packed Lunch type programme, they've got enough live programming as it is.
They haven't really got a live daytime chat show as Morning Live is more of a consumer show really. Was thinking yesterday with the Doctors news whether a Pebble Mill style show could work at 2pm. Probably cheaper than drama even if dearer than the usual daytime fodder.

Not a fan though of them hiding behind the "digital first" narrative:

“with audience habits changing faster than ever we need to focus our resources more rigorously on driving streaming, and prioritise programmes that drive digital growth wherever we can.”

Reruns of Come Dine with Me aren't going to do anymore on that front. I know they probably largely mean viewing via streaming but "digital" wise I'd say C4 have very few shows now that cut through with viral moments - Gogglebox, Naked Attraction, Bake Off and on E4 MAFS is about it.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Brekkie's post:
  • Gary Baldy

Providing more of the same felt like a lost opportunity. I don’t know if going for pure entertainment would have been more successful but at least it would have been different.

(19-10-2023, 07:27 PM)Kim Wexler’s Ponytail Wrote:  Providing more of the same felt like a lost opportunity. I don’t know if going for pure entertainment would have been more successful but at least it would have been different.

Indeed, the reported other show piloted for the daytime/Leeds slot was a live show with Jon Richardson and Lucy Beaumont. Whilst it would've been difficult to see how that one would've played out, it certainly would've been very different.

(19-10-2023, 07:09 PM)XIII Wrote:  I can't imagine BBC One wasting money on a Packed Lunch type programme, they've got enough live programming as it is.
I agree. Three points come to mind:

1) If it hasn’t worked out for C4, for whatever reason, why would it necessarily work better for the BBC - it probably wouldn’t.

2) This Morning is clearly the established programme here and seems to be moving beyond its recent controversies. It’s not really like there is “an opening” there to capture the kind of audience that watch TM.

3) If BBC One did include a middle-of-the-day This Morning style programme, it would basically be the third (or even forth, depending on how you count it) similar-such programme in the schedule. Morning Live is already a cross between the One Show in the morning and TM, the later hours of Breakfast are also similar, and early evening obviously has the One Show already. There does come a point when you need variation in the schedule, and as such it would be overkill to have another similar show.
[-] The following 2 users Like interestednovice's post:
  • Stuart, XIII

If any broadcaster had any money, I can't help thinking we'd be seeing a Schofield and Willoughby fronted show by now.

They could be the next Wogan and Roslin, Vaughan and Van Outen or even Jenkins and Sperrin but no one seems willing or able to take the risk any more.

(19-10-2023, 07:15 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  They haven't really got a live daytime chat show as Morning Live is more of a consumer show really.  Was thinking yesterday with the Doctors news whether a Pebble Mill style show could work at 2pm.  Probably cheaper than drama even if dearer than the usual daytime fodder.

The One Show fills that brief so they don't really need to spend money on something that it catered elsewhere.
[-] The following 1 user Likes XIII's post:
  • interestednovice