Thread Closed

ITV (Wider Group) Branding

Oh hey the ITV1 name is coming back, yay!
[-] The following 6 users Like JoshieTrue's post:
  • BBCChameleonFan, DeMarkay, Juicy Joe, KyleToons, Stuart, Superman1986

Presumably any changes to ITV News would not be a complete departure from the current look with the regional sets still being relatively recent. Although of course that doesn't rule that out completely.

I think refreshed titles and graphics would be good but it has aged very well, hard to believe ten years in January
[-] The following 3 users Like L1_'s post:
  • chevron, Ma76, Superman1986

(04-10-2022, 05:07 PM)L1_ Wrote:  Presumably any changes to ITV News would not be a complete departure from the current look with the regional sets still being relatively recent. Although of course that doesn't rule that out completely.

I think refreshed titles and graphics would be good but it has aged very well, hard to believe ten years in January

They could have the programme logo, astons, and weather place names in the new font ITVX have?

(04-10-2022, 04:19 PM)Allanbuzzy Wrote:  Having a hard time trying to justify that "confusion between the master brand and the channel" argument.
Their justification made a lot of sense. They've had brand campaigns in the past like Get Britain Talking that have technically been a campaign from ITV as a company but viewers have perceived it as being a campaign related to ITV1 the channel. The need to distinguish more between ITV the channel and ITVX will be a lot more important as they make streaming their priority over broadcast as a company.

Their audience research found half of viewers still referred to it as ITV1, interestingly. Guess it's no different to people still referring to it as 'Granada' or 'Yorkshire' or whatever. If that was the era you watched it the most you're more likely to use that brand. No plans for a promo for the name change like they did way back when. Looks like it's just going to happen without drawing too much attention to it.

The package looks great and the ident concept looked fantastic. It looks like show logos will be used more frequently in promo end boards than they currently are. The ITVBe logo was the only bit that maybe didn't look great as a static logo. The B was written sort of diagonally above the E.

Less than a month to go before it all launches.
[-] The following 17 users Like gottago's post:
  • benzj, bilky asko, bkman1990, Clean Feed, Frances, Happy2001, Jake, Jeff, KyleToons, Ma76, octothorpe, Rofters, Stuart, TesTVWhirl, thomash79, TVFan, TVNerd

(04-10-2022, 05:23 PM)gottago Wrote:  
(04-10-2022, 04:19 PM)Allanbuzzy Wrote:  Having a hard time trying to justify that "confusion between the master brand and the channel" argument.
Their justification made a lot of sense. They've had brand campaigns in the past like Get Britain Talking that have technically been a campaign from ITV as a company but viewers have perceived it as being a campaign related to ITV1 the channel. The need to distinguish more between ITV the channel and ITVX will be a lot more important as they make streaming their priority over broadcast as a company.

Their audience research found half of viewers still referred to it as ITV1, interestingly. Guess it's no different to people still referring to it as 'Granada' or 'Yorkshire' or whatever. If that was the era you watched it the most you're more likely to use that brand. No plans for a promo for the name change like they did way back when. Looks like it's just going to happen without drawing too much attention to it.
To be honest it sounds like they concocted the survey to get the answers that they wanted. Of course people are going to connect a campaign people are most likely to have seen on ITV [1] with that channel, I don’t think anyone at home is really thinking that the other channels are opposed to people having conversations with each other. I also doubt as many as they say would refer to ‘ITV 1’ in casual conversation unless it was to distinguish it from the other channels. 

All that said I think the rebranding to ITV 1 at this time makes sense because as you say it very much sounds like the they want ITV X to be the main offering where you get all the content from the channels and more.
[-] The following 3 users Like Jon's post:
  • LaDeDa, octothorpe, thomash79

Regarding ITV or ITV1, I have no strong opinion either way, On one hand ITV obviously because it’s a long established brand, but ITV1 makes sense in that you wouldn’t have ‘BBC’ and BBC Two.

There has been occasions particularly on sports coverage where it’s got a bit awkward and they’ve said something like “Live coverage of the whole Aintree meeting is across ITV with the first two races on ITV4 and the Grand National on ‘the main channel’” as it wouldn’t sound right referring to ITV as the whole network and a channel in the same sentence

Bear in mind last time they rebranded as ITV1 it was in the dual branded era alongside the regional names, so it’s completely different this time
[-] The following 4 users Like Andrew's post:
  • benzj, Ma76, octothorpe, Stuart

(04-10-2022, 05:07 PM)L1_ Wrote:  Presumably any changes to ITV News would not be a complete departure from the current look with the regional sets still being relatively recent. Although of course that doesn't rule that out completely.

I understand from the purple place (think it was @Newsroom who mentioned this) that the ITV newsroom at ITN is being refurbished through this year and next. VERY wild speculation here, but I wonder if there will be any plans to reintroduce a newsroom set for ITV News? That might explain why News are carrying on with the current (decade old!) look a while longer. (I'm probably completely off base here, but it's a nice thought).

I never particularly liked the ITV 1 name, always seen it as channel 3 sitting between BBC Two and Channel 4 so having a 1 in there never sat right. I can however see why they wish to go back to it with the focus moving to ITV X as the core service rather than ITV the channel.

The information does help explain the X name better with the X referring to all the channels. The concept of the same locations used for every channel also sounds interesting.
[-] The following 1 user Likes thomalex's post:
  • chaose

Can’t wait!. For ITV News the programme logo, astons, and weather place names could have a font change. But I’m looking forward to the whole thing
[-] The following 1 user Likes Superman1986's post:
  • LaDeDa

(04-10-2022, 06:34 PM)thomalex Wrote:  I never particularly liked the ITV 1 name, always seen it as channel 3 sitting between BBC Two and Channel 4 so having a 1 in there never sat right. 

I think the world has moved on greatly since last time, and this idea of channels 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and the differentiation between those and ‘digital’ channels is just not on the radar of many younger people,
Thread Closed