Thread Closed

ITV (Wider Group) Branding

As much as it'll be sad to see ITV Creates' presentation package go, it'll be interesting to see what is coming next for ITV presentation wise.

The Digital channels have been long overdue a refresh, their pres aside from ITV2/Be is stretching to near ten years at this point

(28-09-2022, 11:39 AM)Rex Wrote:  As much as it'll be sad to see ITV Creates' presentation package go, it'll be interesting to see what is coming next for ITV presentation wise.

The Digital channels have been long overdue a refresh, their pres aside from ITV2/Be is stretching to near ten years at this point
'ITV Creates' was certainly a good idea, and I would prefer that to continue rather than they go back to what they'd had before.

There aren't any 'non-digital channels' in the UK.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Stuart's post:
  • Superman1986

I wonder if the main channel will get inspired by the BBC oneness idents?, EG, grandmas in Cromer

I really hope that the impending refresh finally brings an end to the OCD-upsetting situation in Northern Ireland whereby it's 99% "ITV" seen/heard on-air, but a few straggly bits & bobs are "UTV".

I care not whether it's a full revival of the UTV name (with the new idents and pres therefore having ITV and UTV variants made from the outset), UTV/ITV dual-branding akin to the early-2000s "hearts" branding used in most regions, or a full killing-off of all remaining traces of the UTV name. Just as long as there's total consistency.

(28-09-2022, 12:14 PM)Former Member 406 Wrote:  I really hope that the impending refresh finally brings an end to the OCD-upsetting situation in Northern Ireland whereby it's 99% "ITV" seen/heard on-air, but a few straggly bits & bobs are "UTV".

I care not whether it's a full revival of the UTV name (with the new idents and pres therefore having ITV and UTV variants made from the outset), UTV/ITV dual-branding akin to the early-2000s "hearts" branding used in most regions, or a full killing-off of all remaining traces of the UTV name. Just as long as there's total consistency.

Or failing that, give the regions a new lease on life. Maybe not 'bring back the ITV Regional Channel names' per se, but bring them back in some form. UTV dual branding would be good. In fact, I'd argue that ITV Wales and ITV Channel should be a bit more autonomous, and have their channels be dual branded. It might not be a big deal, but Wales and the Channel Islands are not England, nor is UTV: Bring back Channel, HTV, and UTV. And I've always floated the possibility that ITV rename their ITV Studios divisions to the names of some of the old franchises: e.g. Emmerdale made by Yorkshire Television, Corrie by Granada. Basically, whereever a programme is filmed, or whatever division it is, have that be an ITV region name.

[Image: SAD%20BLU2.png]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Blubatt's post:
  • Ma76

(28-09-2022, 04:11 PM)Blubatt Wrote:  
(28-09-2022, 12:14 PM)Former Member 406 Wrote:  I really hope that the impending refresh finally brings an end to the OCD-upsetting situation in Northern Ireland whereby it's 99% "ITV" seen/heard on-air, but a few straggly bits & bobs are "UTV".

Or failing that, give the regions a new lease on life. Maybe not 'bring back the ITV Regional Channel names' per se, but bring them back in some form. UTV dual branding would be good. In fact, I'd argue that ITV Wales and ITV Channel should be a bit more autonomous, and have their channels be dual branded. It might not be a big deal, but Wales and the Channel Islands are not England, nor is UTV: Bring back Channel, HTV, and UTV. And I've always floated the possibility that ITV rename their ITV Studios divisions to the names of some of the old franchises: e.g. Emmerdale made by Yorkshire Television, Corrie by Granada. Basically, whereever a programme is filmed, or whatever division it is, have that be an ITV region name.

Why? None of this is wanted, or solves anything. ITV doesn’t mean English - HTV, UTV, Scottish and Grampian were all part of ITV as well.
[-] The following 4 users Like all new phil's post:
  • bkman1990, chevron, Former Member 406, Kunst

I could definitely see ITV in the current age of uniform branding, going back to HTV (which has long been buried), and even full time Channel and UTV continuity, yes...

ITV aren't going to rename their production companies after defunct regional names, let's nip that in the bud. It's 2022, not 1982.
[-] The following 1 user Likes XIII's post:
  • Former Member 406

ITV seem somewhat undecided with how they want to handle their production company names. They inherited lots of production company names. Merged them all together under ITV Productions/Studios as big was seen as better. And nowadays seem to be spinning off more micro production company names again as niche is in again. But regardless, they're always completely new ones - they aren't really harking back to any old names.

Even if for whatever unlikely reason they wanted to, in a lot of cases they probably couldn't anyway. People seem to forget the amount of private individuals or small independent companies that have sprung up and bought 'all the IP and logo of former company x' in recent years to try and either 'protect' it, trade off their prior goodwill, or possibly just in the vain hope someone with a big chequebook will want to buy it back at some point. TVS (admittedly never ITV plc), HTV and Carlton at least I'm pretty sure have all been snapped up by someone else these days (I'm sure we've all seen those hideously forced disclaimers people have been made to attach to Youtube videos involving the original companies way pre-dating whoever 'bought the name' 20 years later), so ITV would be steering well clear.

TV Whirl - Since 2001
[-] The following 1 user Likes TesTVWhirl's post:
  • Ma76

(29-09-2022, 03:55 PM)TesTVWhirl Wrote:  Even if for whatever unlikely reason they wanted to, in a lot of cases they probably couldn't anyway. People seem to forget the amount of private individuals or small independent companies that have sprung up and bought 'all the IP and logo of former company x' in recent years to try and either 'protect' it, trade off their prior goodwill, or possibly just in the vain hope someone with a big chequebook will want to buy it back at some point. TVS (admittedly never ITV plc), HTV and Carlton at least I'm pretty sure have all been snapped up by someone else these days (I'm sure we've all seen those hideously forced disclaimers people have been made to attach to Youtube videos involving the original companies way pre-dating whoever 'bought the name' 20 years later), so ITV would be steering well clear.
The most famous example would be Victor Lewis-Smith's A-R (producer of TV Offal). 

TVS (with its fleur-de-lys) got snapped up by a community TV consortium, similar things with ATV IIRC, Ian White holds TV-am while Southern is now Nic Ayling's!

This, plus the age the full regional days has passed, say the current plc is a one-way track. Alas, it'd be nice to see some names coming back, especially in places not necessarily regarding themselves "British" that much.

Watch this space...
WestKnightTV - on DeviantArt
[-] The following 1 user Likes W. Knight's post:
  • Ma76
Thread Closed