Good Morning Britain

(28-04-2023, 08:12 AM)DavidWhitfield Wrote:  Happy ninth birthday to GMB.

Funny to think that in the four years between April 2010 to April 2014, you had GMTV coming to an end, 'purple era' Daybreak, 'yellow era' Daybreak, 'Lorraine & Aled' era Daybreak, and the launch of GMB, while in the nine years since launch there have been, in real terms, very few major changes.

ITV must be pleased they've got some stability in what is an important timeslot for any station.
Amazing to think they’re less than a year away from being on air longer than TV-am was.
[-] The following 5 users Like Spencer's post:
  • alfiejmulcahy, Brekkie, Superman1986, Tim G, UTVLifer

(28-04-2023, 09:59 AM)Spencer Wrote:  
(28-04-2023, 08:12 AM)DavidWhitfield Wrote:  Happy ninth birthday to GMB.

Funny to think that in the four years between April 2010 to April 2014, you had GMTV coming to an end, 'purple era' Daybreak, 'yellow era' Daybreak, 'Lorraine & Aled' era Daybreak, and the launch of GMB, while in the nine years since launch there have been, in real terms, very few major changes.

ITV must be pleased they've got some stability in what is an important timeslot for any station.
Amazing to think they’re less than a year away from being on air longer than TV-am was.
Without tempting any fete; there are no reasons why it will not make the ten years and last much longer. 

Although there have been changes; the four original main hosts are still there in some capacity. I know Sean sadly has a more minor role now but he is still there.
[-] The following 2 users Like Ben Shatliff's post:
  • JosiahStuart, UTVLifer

Looking at the show when it first launched, I can’t help but feel the original look from 2014 is nicer than what they have ended up with now. The studio, graphics, music - all pretty much perfect with a consistent, unified look based around the teardrop shape.

The studio in particular was stunning at launch - just the right level of formal with the desk, but very clearly still a breakfast program, and plenty of presentation points.

The TVC studio evidently had better technology than its predecessor, but to me it really lost the feeling of a breakfast show and ended up with quite a sterile feeling. The enormous replacement desk then effectively removed most of the flexibility the studio once had, which you can see reflected in the limited camera angles and confining the show largely to the desk.

The show’s current presentation with its massive sliding blocks, dodgy looking titles and random mix of music packages has been so endlessly tweaked from the original concept they probably would have been better off refreshing the whole look entirely somewhere along the line and sticking with it!

In terms of the show more generally, however, they have done well to remain pretty consistent over the last nine years - I think the format today is pretty far removed from when it launched, but clearly a much more stable period for ITV than the end of the GMTV days and the various Daybreak disasters which followed.
[-] The following 5 users Like AaronTV's post:
  • fanoftv, Ittr, Jayesyn, Spencer, UTVLifer

Those 9 years have flown by. I don’t watch the show much these days, occasionally for the headlines, mainly because I detest the arguments that seem to occur daily when discussing a topic, I’d rather not see any of the discussion items, but i’m in the minority. I did watch the Christmas Day show in full which seemed to be a lovely, relaxing show with a positive energy.

I remember being very excited for the launch as it seemed to be going down a fresh route and I was not disappointed in the slightest. The set was fantastic, the presenting team worked really well from the start, I loved the mix of 1:1 interviews with the sofa interviews, and the fact that it appeared to be a team effort not focussing on one or two presenters. Obviously, that slowly changed and the programme has become a stable part of the schedule.
[-] The following 1 user Likes fanoftv's post:
  • Brekkie

(28-04-2023, 02:36 PM)AaronTV Wrote:  The studio in particular was stunning at launch - just the right level of formal with the desk, but very clearly still a breakfast program, and plenty of presentation points.

The TVC studio evidently had better technology than its predecessor, but to me it really lost the feeling of a breakfast show and ended up with quite a sterile feeling. The enormous replacement desk then effectively removed most of the flexibility the studio once had, which you can see reflected in the limited camera angles and confining the show largely to the desk.
I disagree to an extent, Aaron. I know they tweaked the set when they moved to the vastly superior TC3, but I thought they made the most of the extra space in their half of that studio.

There was never any need to have 4 presenters around the desk.  Lockdown issues caused a change to the desk, and they've since reduced the size, but it still looks ridiculously large.  They've occasionally used the sofa area, either for large groups of guests or as a performance space.

They've amended the format and music accordingly over time, but you would expect that from any programme. Every new Editor/Producer likes to tinker to an extent, just to see if anything new will work. It seems relatively stable to the casual viewer, whereas BBC Breakfast is beginning to look stale, but perhaps that can change when they move to their new Ground Floor set.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Stuart's post:
  • steve

The graphics and presentation of the programme is such a mess right now. When they launched from TVC the set looked so much better without the weird lines on all the screens and this awful looking desk.

When they introduced the titles some time in 2019 with the flyover of TVC combined with the lower thirds and other graphics introduced in 2017 the show was visually at its peak, in my opinion. My only complaint was the layout of the set. The desk area was very nice, but all the other areas were either empty space or crammed against the walls, notably the sofa area.

At the moment it is just a mess of visual elements and there isn’t any consistent look and feel. It’s almost like a cheap imitation of its former self.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jayesyn's post:
  • Spencer

(28-04-2023, 05:02 PM)Jayesyn Wrote:  The graphics and presentation of the programme is such a mess right now. When they launched from TVC the set looked so much better without the weird lines on all the screens and this awful looking desk.

When they introduced the titles some time in 2019 with the flyover of TVC combined with the lower thirds and other graphics introduced in 2017 the show was visually at its peak, in my opinion. My only complaint was the layout of the set. The desk area was very nice, but all the other areas were either empty space or crammed against the walls, notably the sofa area.

At the moment it is just a mess of visual elements and there isn’t any consistent look and feel. It’s almost like a cheap imitation of its former self.

What? It’s one of the most consistent-looking news shows on tv. Are we watching different things?
[-] The following 1 user Likes all new phil's post:
  • itsrobert

It's had countless refreshes over the last 9 years yet essentially still looks the same.

Baffling they believed Piers when he told them he was irreplaceable - still wouldn't be hugely surprised if Dan Walker ended up there once he has served his sentence at Channel 5.
[-] The following 4 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • DeMarkay, Kojak, Stuart, UTVLifer

A Coronation soundtrack just played for the first time on GMB.

I hope it comes with titles for Saturday too
[-] The following 1 user Likes Cashton06's post:
  • UTVLifer