Good Morning Britain

when I think of Breakfast I very much think of Jon and Sally more than I do Charlie and Naga, because the latter pairing always just feels so awkward and tense to me

I'd like to see GMB get a new permanent male host, but please, not Ed Balls
[-] The following 3 users Like arbrax's post:
  • interestednovice, Scratch_Perry, UTVLifer

His final sign off:

twitter.com 

Agree Ben going should be the catalyst to get a permanent four days a week male co-host in. Just no idea who other than none of the regular stand ins.
[-] The following 3 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • AJB39, interestednovice, UTVLifer

I do think GMB did go a bit OTT for Ben's departure, he's moving next door not leaving the country!
[-] The following 6 users Like XIII's post:
  • interestednovice, leewilliams, Pips2022, Rolling News, Superman1986, TJTSW

(23-02-2024, 08:39 PM)XIII Wrote:  I do think GMB did go a bit OTT

It's been their mission statement since 2014 Big Grin
[-] The following 3 users Like UTVLifer's post:
  • callumwatchestelly, interestednovice, Superman1986

(23-02-2024, 11:37 AM)arbrax Wrote:  when I think of Breakfast I very much think of Jon and Sally more than I do Charlie and Naga, because the latter pairing always just feels so awkward and tense to me

The rotation of Richard Madeley and Ed Balls should really move to Ben's old Thursday & Friday slots and a fresh New Permanent Male Host should be brought in to host Monday-Wednesday
[-] The following 1 user Likes HarveyB's post:
  • interestednovice

The bookies really are terrible when it comes to these things - Ed Balls is 3/1 favourite, which is understandable as a regular stand in, but then we have (via Ladbrokes):

Roman Kemp 4/1
Adil Ray - 5/1
Rylan Clark - 6/1
Alison Hammond - 6/1
Amol Rajan - 8/1
Jermaine Jenas - 8/1
Stacey Dooley - 8/1
Alex Beresford - 10/1
Jordan Banjo - 16/1
Stephen Mulhern - 16/1
Piers Morgan - 16/1

Adil, Amol and Alex probably the only ones that make sense there, along with Piers as an outsider.

The chance of Piers Morgan returning to GMB are slim to non-existant, never mind odds of 16/1. Even if he is effectively persona non grata at TalkTV now.

He's more likely to get his own show on GB News ... yeah, that's not gonna happen either!
[-] The following 3 users Like TheGregmeister's post:
  • callumwatchestelly, interestednovice, UTVLifer

The appearance of Kemp on the list at 4/1 is, I presume, someone putting 2 and 2 together based off his departure from Capital? I suppose it’s not *that* big a stretch given he hosts The One Show.

Only one on that list I think would be good - but also unlikely - is Stacey Dooley.
[-] The following 1 user Likes all new phil's post:
  • interestednovice

I personally think Ed Balls should be the permanent Male Main Anchor. He had proved to be excellent and even challenged Lisa Nandy about the Rochdale by election this week.

Give it Ed Monday to Thursday and Richard Madely could do Fridays on a rotation with Adil Ray and Rob Rinder or even let Ranvir and Charlotte and Sean Co-Host with Kate on Fridays.

We are just a few weeks away from the 10th Anniversary of the launch of Good Morning Britain. Maybe changes will be brought on to coincide with this including maybe a relaunch.
[-] The following 8 users Like Ben Shatliff's post:
  • BBI45, DeMarkay, interestednovice, Michael 18, MLehon, PERMOTIO, Superman1986, UTVLifer

(23-02-2024, 11:37 AM)arbrax Wrote:  when I think of Breakfast I very much think of Jon and Sally more than I do Charlie and Naga, because the latter pairing always just feels so awkward and tense to me

Interesting comments, thinking of Jon and Sally as Breakfast over Charlie and Naga, despite the latter being the longest-serving presentation partnership in the history of the programme (10 years). Despite the supposed equality between the presentation pairings (Jon & Sally, Monday-Wednesday; Charlie & Naga, Thursday-Saturday), it seems to me that "major" interviews and featured are skewed towards those at the front end of the week; I mean I cannot recall either Charlie or Naga doing those special features on Marcus Rashford and his school meals campaign or Rob Burrow, Doddie Weir (RIP) and other sportsmen diagnosed with Motor Neurone Disease and their work fighting it (which Sally was involved with) or interviewing the families of the Nottingham stabbings from last year (which Jon recently interviewed). And I can't recall either Charlie or Naga interviewing the Prime Minister of the day on the programme (Dan Walker interviewed Boris Johnson and Jon Kay has interviewed Rishi Sunak for example. I read somewhere that Charlie "prefers" to work Thursday-Saturday, which on the face of it, is to his detriment as others who had previously worked the back end of the week on the programme; the late Bill Turnbull, Sian Williams, Susanna Reid and Louise Minchin; all moved up to the front end of the week, therefore increasing their profile.

On to GMB and a permanent male host(s) and two names sprung to my mind which I mentioned on another forum. The first one is right under the noses of the PTB, and that's Sean Fletcher, who's been with the programme since the relaunch (after 22 years in the wilderness) in 2014. The other is Simon McCoy; here you have a bona fide journalist and broadcaster who was popular on the BBC News Channel (as it was then) and is no stranger to working with Susanna Reid (on BBC News) or Kate Garraway (Sky News). A flagship news programme like GMB needs permanent presenting partnerships, instead of faffing around with ad hoc presenters.
[-] The following 4 users Like Scratch_Perry's post:
  • fanoftv, interestednovice, lepeterrr, UTVLifer