My5 and Pluto to merge

(03-11-2023, 02:03 PM)Ash101 Wrote:  They have a streaming service in Paramount Plus though... so this is very much incorporating the Pluto stuff into Channel 5's streaming offering? Surely the name makes more sense to still be aligned with Channel 5?
I use Paramount+, but it's a subscription-only service.  I appreciate that ITVX operates two tiers, but that's to do with avoiding advertising.

Turning Paramount+ into an amalgam of free services (including a linear catch-up service) with a premium subscription service would probably be a marketing nightmare.

I suspect that most of the UK is unaware that Paramount own C5, so would be confused by any instruction to send them to a streaming service with that name.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Stuart's post:
  • callumwatchestelly

Merging My5 and Pluto makes a lot of sense. I suspect My5 hasn't received a lot of investment with the focus on Channel 5 and Paramount+ and it's lagging behind the likes of ITVX, Channel 4 and iPlayer.

In terms of a name, perhaps 5Play could work.

(03-11-2023, 02:28 PM)Stuart Wrote:  I use Paramount+, but it's a subscription-only service.  I appreciate that ITVX operates two tiers, but that's to do with avoiding advertising.

Turning Paramount+ into an amalgam of free services (including a linear catch-up service) with a premium subscription service would probably be a marketing nightmare.

I suspect that most of the UK is unaware that Paramount own C5, so would be confused by any instruction to send them to a streaming service with that name.

Yeah I get that.... sorry maybe my post wasn't clear. I wasn't suggesting that My5 needs to merge into Paramount Plus, but more that if this service is to host the majority of Channel 5's catchup service then it probably needs to still be named after them...instead of something like Pluto.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Ash101's post:
  • Stuart

Paramount seem fairly committed to C5 (and Channel 10 in Australia) - I'd have thought by now they might have sold them both off but doesn't look to be any signs of that - though it is frustrating seeing new shows in the C5 schedule which are just the premiere to point people towards Paramount+.

I get the logic in merging My5 and Pluto - both brands those likely to use FAST channels are probably aware of but don't particularly use.

This really does leave C4 lagging behind though - they don't even stream all of their own channels (the BOX channels for example) within their app, never mind additional content too. They really should be ensuring something within their own streaming platform is ready for the Paralympics next year rather than using YouTube or a mini-site within their website as previously.
[-] The following 2 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • Ma76, Roger Darthwell

I would except something similar to be done with Network10. This is rationalisation, the cost of developing and maintaining an app is high, it makes sense to build on existing modern technology than rely on an aging platform. Whilst it's not as easy as slapping a Channel 5 logo on the Pluto app, it makes sense to use a common underlying platform.

(03-11-2023, 06:44 PM)cable Wrote:  I would except something similar to be done with Network10. 

Pluto TV recently launched as part of 10Play in Australia:

www.paramountanz.com.au 

CBS/Paramount is clearly simplifying their brands around the world and promoting 3 main options and shedding everything else. Makes total sense.

THE MAIN CHANNELS....
CBS
CH5
CH10

PREMIUM STREAMER
Paramount+ as the premium streaming ad free option. Promoting in equal measure with the CBS logo| Paramount+

FAST STREAMER
Utilising PlutoTv as the regions' FAST option. (For example in the US. CBS began heavily promoting PlutoTv as the FAST option for its Big Brother Streams for 1st)
[-] The following 2 users Like mouseboy33's post:
  • Jeff, Stuart

Perhaps the CBS brand might eventually replace channel 5 and Network 10. They just dropped the CBS branding from the UK AMC Networks International channels. Channel 5 schedule is much improved these days, the synergies would work well e.g. branding and cross promotion with Paramount Plus.

could always make it stand for Channel 5 Broadcasting System Limited, maybe put the 5 logo in the eye?

(12-11-2023, 01:46 PM)cable Wrote:  could always make it stand for Channel 5 Broadcasting System Limited, maybe put the 5 logo in the eye?
I don't think many people know or care who owns Channel 5, but I think that tinkering with the name again would not be beneficial.

Despite linear TV audiences declining, distancing yourself from what is clearly named as the 'fifth PSB channel' on all UK platforms would seem an odd decision.
[-] The following 5 users Like Stuart's post:
  • AndrewP, Brekkie, Kunst, Roger Darthwell, SB678

(12-11-2023, 01:46 PM)cable Wrote:  Perhaps the CBS brand might eventually replace channel 5 and Network 10. They just dropped the CBS branding from the UK AMC Networks International channels. Channel 5 schedule is much improved these days, the synergies would work well e.g. branding and cross promotion with Paramount Plus.

could always make it stand for Channel 5 Broadcasting System Limited, maybe put the 5 logo in the eye?
Bad idea. I wonder, do people in Ireland still call Virgin Media TV, TV3?
[-] The following 2 users Like JAS84's post:
  • Kunst, Roger Darthwell