My5 and Pluto to merge

Leave things as they are, Channel 5 is pretty established, and companies generally want to leave their status quo by not using the "big" network brands outside of the US

(12-11-2023, 06:14 PM)JAS84 Wrote:  Bad idea. I wonder, do people in Ireland still call Virgin Media TV, TV3?

Yes they do! It takes years for a PSB Name change to catch on. However, more and more people are now using the Virgin Name. When RTE2 became Network 2 in Ireland back in 1989, it took years for people and presenters to stop calling it RTE 2. Then when It changed back to RTE 2 back in 2004 it took years for people to stop calling it Network 2.
[-] The following 6 users Like chinamug's post:
  • AndrewP, callumwatchestelly, chrisherald, ethanjbrady, JAS84, Roger Darthwell

Surely people just call it the short hand "Virgin One" or "Vee Emm One", right? Virgin Media One didn't really sound catchy at all and I'm surprised they only had the rights to the Virgin Media name, not the overall Virgin Group brand.

I can't imagine people growing to the name CBS as opposed to Channel 5. In comparison to both, CBS feels a lot more premium and well known for it's somewhat prestige programming, and while Channel 5 has slowly been adding on to that thanks to the common ownership with Paramount, I doubt it'll strike a core to it's viewers. The only feasible way I could imagine the CBS name being implemented to their channels is by calling themselves "CBS 5" but even that's a bit dry.

Plus, what are the sub channels gonna be called? CBSStar? CBSUSA? CBS Action? Oh wait, they already did that one.
[-] The following 4 users Like Allanbuzzy's post:
  • AndrewP, callumwatchestelly, chaose, Roger Darthwell

(12-11-2023, 08:55 PM)Allanbuzzy Wrote:  Surely people just call it the short hand "Virgin One" or "Vee Emm One", right? Virgin Media One didn't really sound catchy at all and I'm surprised they only had the rights to the Virgin Media name, not the overall Virgin Group brand.

I can't imagine people growing to the name CBS as opposed to Channel 5. In comparison to both, CBS feels a lot more premium and well known for it's somewhat prestige programming, and while Channel 5 has slowly been adding on to that thanks to the common ownership with Paramount, I doubt it'll strike a core to it's viewers. The only feasible way I could imagine the CBS name being implemented to their channels is by calling themselves "CBS 5" but even that's a bit dry.

Plus, what are the sub channels gonna be called? CBSStar? CBSUSA? CBS Action? Oh wait, they already did that one.

Very well put, also the ''CBS 5'' name would be very confusing, because there are CBS stations in the USA that are actually on channel 5

One must also consider that no US extant broadcaster has ever really been that successful in the UK. Besides owning channels and services. CBS, NBC, ABC, and FOX are known of, but they have no on-screen presence here

[Image: SAD%20BLU2.png]
[-] The following 3 users Like Blubatt's post:
  • callumwatchestelly, Kunst, Roger Darthwell

(12-11-2023, 11:47 PM)Blubatt Wrote:  One must also consider that no US extant broadcaster has ever really been that successful in the UK. Besides owning channels and services. CBS, NBC, ABC, and FOX are known of, but they have no on-screen presence here

Yes that's universally true except for MTV, Disney Channel, Cartoon Network, Nickelodeon, Bloomberg, QVC and probably all the many others which I haven't recalled.

[Image: signature.jpg]
chatps.com
[-] The following 1 user Likes WillPS's post:
  • callumwatchestelly

(13-11-2023, 09:27 AM)WillPS Wrote:   
Yes that's universally true except for MTV, Disney Channel, Cartoon Network, Nickelodeon, Bloomberg, QVC and probably all the many others which I haven't recalled.

I think Blubatt meant in terms of high profile along the lines of the big four mentioned in their post. The big four networks. What you've posted are just UK variations/arms of the home network and none of them are really successful enough to stand on their own two feet as it were, with the possible exception of QVC.

Nickelodeon lives off its American sister for pretty much all its content, the same for an extent for Cartoon Network and Bloomberg is just a simulcast with a few opt-outs.

I believe cable network in the States has a much wider reach (or is more universal) than it does here, to the point where its just as successful as the linear networks, which isn't the case here...
[-] The following 2 users Like Neil Jones's post:
  • callumwatchestelly, Kunst

Indeed, that's what he meant and also I meant.

And rebranding one of the big UK channels to a US network name, definitely would spark some controversy they obviously want to avoid
[-] The following 2 users Like Kunst's post:
  • callumwatchestelly, TJTSW

Pluto tv have introduced a new logo, and surprisingly, its been rolled out to the uk! They're supposed to be merging with my5 soon, they could've just gotten away with using the old logo a few more months, but still, good on them to keep up to date:

cordcuttersnews.com 

(29-01-2024, 12:12 AM)ckck1704 Wrote:  Pluto tv have introduced a new logo, and surprisingly, its been rolled out to the uk! They're supposed to be merging with my5 soon, they could've just gotten away with using the old logo a few more months, but still, good on them to keep up to date:

cordcuttersnews.com 
Why? The Pluto TV brand isn't going anywhere so far as I can see, it's just going to be rolled in to the same app as My5.

[Image: signature.jpg]
chatps.com