BBC News Events Coverage

(08-11-2023, 05:33 PM)Spencer Wrote:  I certainly think the interruption of Saturday morning kids' TV is the root of my personal hatred for it.

It does hold the record, though, as the longest running programme on TV anywhere in the world, having been broadcast since 1937 (albeit with a haitus during the Second World War). So I suspect it's one of those 'we've always done it, so we have to do it' situations.

I don't think it'd be quite so bad if it was only broadcast on BBC One London, but subjecting the entire nation to it, including Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland seems absurd.

However not subjecting it to the entire UK means funding money for alternative content in that slot. 

It is however something that I'd be intrigued at the cost and how much objection to dropping it there would be.

(08-11-2023, 05:33 PM)Spencer Wrote:  I certainly think the interruption of Saturday morning kids' TV is the root of my personal hatred for it.

It does hold the record, though, as the longest running programme on TV anywhere in the world, having been broadcast since 1937 (albeit with a haitus during the Second World War). So I suspect it's one of those 'we've always done it, so we have to do it' situations.

I don't think it'd be quite so bad if it was only broadcast on BBC One London, but subjecting the entire nation to it, including Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland seems absurd.
Worth remembering that it's of little relevance to those in London either, it's for the Lord Mayor of the City of London.... hardly anyone lives in the City.

It must be a case of 'we've always done it, unless there' s some sort of contractual thing where the organisers pay for the coverage. I do wonder if it would even still happen without the TV coverage
[-] The following 3 users Like Stooky Bill's post:
  • Spencer, Stuart, Toby brown

the Remembrance Sunday service has an Audio Described option tomorrow - as with the Coronation, it's an entirely separate soundtrack (rather than descriptions being shoehorned in between the regular commentary), provided again by Radio 3's Petroc Trelawny. It appears to be replacing the commentary-free option which was available on the red button last year.

twitter.com 

(08-11-2023, 10:24 PM)Stooky Bill Wrote:  It must be a case of 'we've always done it, unless there' s some sort of contractual thing where the organisers pay for the coverage. I do wonder if it would even still happen without the TV coverage
It's been happening in some form since 1189, so I doubt they'd take cancelling it lightly!

(11-11-2023, 02:26 PM)thegeek Wrote:  the Remembrance Sunday service has an Audio Described option tomorrow - as with the Coronation, it's an entirely separate soundtrack (rather than descriptions being shoehorned in between the regular commentary), provided again by Radio 3's Petroc Trelawny. It appears to be replacing the commentary-free option which was available on the red button last year.

twitter.com 

It's been happening in some form since 1189, so I doubt they'd take cancelling it lightly!

And there was very little on television back then, seeing as the BBC wouldn’t be formed until 700 years later, so you can see why they decided to broadcast it.

[Image: 1592580878_1869298444.svg]
[-] The following 2 users Like VMPhil's post:
  • Roger Darthwell, thegeek

(08-11-2023, 10:24 PM)Stooky Bill Wrote:  Worth remembering that it's of little relevance to those in London either, it's for the Lord Mayor of the City of London.... hardly anyone lives in the City.

It must be a case of 'we've always done it, unless there' s some sort of contractual thing where the organisers pay for the coverage. I do wonder if it would even still happen without the TV coverage
Something I noticed at the end of the Lord Mayor's Show coverage was that there were no end credits (something which is common with sports coverage these days, unless it's at the end of a tournament/competition); is this now common for events like this?

(07-11-2023, 06:29 PM)Stooky Bill Wrote:  Scott Mills isn't an odd choice for The Lord Mayor's show really, it's not ceremonial or a major event.

What is odd is why it's on TV every year anyway... it's got no relevance to anyone.

Totally, I don’t get this one at all. Feels like the sort of event they ordinarily would’ve stopped covering decades ago.

I like to think I’m quite across London events living here but this one always seem to crop up with little warning and then manages to get a full broadcast out of it.

(11-11-2023, 04:23 PM)Scratch_Perry Wrote:  Something I noticed at the end of the Lord Mayor's Show coverage was that there were no end credits (something which is common with sports coverage these days, unless it's at the end of a tournament/competition); is this now common for events like this?

Was there at least an end board?    I don't think it's uncommon for these sort of things to be rushed off air, so have no end credits.

Just checked back on iPlayer, and it finished with a closing montage and BBC Studios Events endboard. Last year's is still up and was very similar - it even used the same music.

Nice coverage of the Armistice Day silence today but some of the choices of shot reminded me of a certain set of BBC idents... 

[-] The following 13 users Like Stooky Bill's post:
  • AJB39, AndrewP, AxG, bkman1990, callumwatchestelly, IanJRedman, Jeff, Nobby, RhysJR, rkolsen, Stuart, thePineapple, UTVLifer