BBC News Reforms

(07-12-2023, 11:25 AM)Rolling News Wrote:  What's this about The World Today returning? Is it Sally Bundock's new show?
No, replacement for The Daily Global from January.
[-] The following 1 user Likes DTV's post:
  • Rolling News

(07-12-2023, 11:48 AM)DTV Wrote:  No, replacement for The Daily Global from January.

Oh wow. That's good. Let's hope they're also considering replacements for News Now and Verified Live.

(07-12-2023, 11:54 AM)Rolling News Wrote:  Oh wow. That's good. Let's hope they're also considering replacements for News Now and Verified Live.
Well, when I say 'replacement' I expect we're really talking exchanging one generically branded and badly formatted programme for another. Rebadged will probably turn out to be more accurate.
[-] The following 14 users Like DTV's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, Brekkie, callumwatchestelly, harshy, Ian, Jayesyn, matthieu1221, oscillon, Quantum+83, Roger Darthwell, Rolling News, UTVLifer, xlalonce

Can't we have Impact, Global and Live with.... back??? At least these shows had unique, great looks and identities. There was no need to change them in the first place, just move them around the schedule a bit.
[-] The following 8 users Like ginnyfan's post:
  • bkman1990, callumwatchestelly, LTNewslover, oscillon, Quantum+83, Rolling News, SuperSajuuk, UTVLifer

Or just keep it simple with BBC News on the hour, every hour. No point in sub brands when they're all basically the same.
[-] The following 16 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, DTV, ginnyfan, GMc, Jayesyn, JJJJ, JMT1985, kookaburra, LargelyALurker, LDN, LondonViewer, lookoutwales, Rolling News, Spencer, SuperSajuuk

The biggest thing they could do is bring back outside source, ros Atkins style show.

His new analysis editor role doesn’t seem to be adding value or providing loads of explainers to many places.

A real waste of something good.
[-] The following 10 users Like GraemeT88's post:
  • alfiejmulcahy, AndrewP, bkman1990, Brekkie, DTV, LDN, Quantum+83, SuperSajuuk, thePineapple, UTVLifer

(07-12-2023, 11:59 AM)DTV Wrote:  Well, when I say 'replacement' I expect we're really talking exchanging one generically branded and badly formatted programme for another. Rebadged will probably turn out to be more accurate.

I wouldn’t be surprised if they just replaced the words “Daily Global” with “World Today” in the titles and be done with.

(07-12-2023, 01:32 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Or just keep it simple with BBC News on the hour, every hour.  No point in sub brands when they're all basically the same.
Yes, and that was what I expected ahead of the merger considering that it was touted as a chance to go 'back to basics'. Indeed, with a lot of the discussion around the media these days, there's a lot to be said for the BBC providing a simple and reliable no frills, news without comment channel.

While, of course, there can be a place for branded programmes, that cannot be said of the ones introduced since the merger. The programmes are directionless and indistinct (the only difference being the level of comment increasing as the day goes on) and the brands themselves are weak (so just dilute the main brand, rather than supplementing it). The channel is not better for having them.
[-] The following 4 users Like DTV's post:
  • Brekkie, harshy, Roger Darthwell, what

I do they think they got introduced just to please the advertisers as I can’t really think why these branded shows are even on in the first place, there’s nothing unique about them.

(10-12-2023, 11:15 AM)harshy Wrote:  I do they think they got introduced just to please the advertisers as I can’t really think why these branded shows are even on in the first place, there’s nothing unique about them.

I suspect there’s little more to it than a discussion in a meeting where someone said “why don’t we give the shows different branding” and the boss said “yeah ok then”. Nothing about it suggests a strategy.

A proud (but tidied up) BBC News branding would be much more powerful and effective. It looks better at the weekend.
[-] The following 3 users Like all new phil's post:
  • AndrewP, Brekkie, Spencer