BBC News Reforms

Not sure if it hasn't been posted here already, but the schedule for 2-5 January is online:

www.bbc.co.uk 

Breakfast is indeed 6:00-9:30 since the 2nd of January...

... but BBC News will still opt out at 9am for an hour of Nicky Campbell

Morning Live is expanded by a half an hour(!), so it will run 9:30-10:45am.

Newsnight apparently will be shortened later in the next year - for the first week of 2024 its length remains the same.
[-] The following 1 user Likes oscillon's post:
  • UTVLifer

I wonder if Newsnight will remain the same until after the election, seeing as that’s when Kirsty is also due to leave.

Unless the election is Jan 2025….
[-] The following 1 user Likes chris's post:
  • alfiejmulcahy

(10-12-2023, 12:16 PM)chris Wrote:  I wonder if Newsnight will remain the same until after the election, seeing as that’s when Kirsty is also due to leave.

It would feel respectful to Kirsty for the programme to change after she leaves but sadly I suspect finances will have to come first - especially with more significant cuts needed across the organisation.

(10-12-2023, 12:16 PM)chris Wrote:  I wonder if Newsnight will remain the same until after the election, seeing as that’s when Kirsty is also due to leave.

The way this week is going I wouldn't rule out Jan 2024.
[-] The following 6 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, fatal paper cut, freeview87, Rolling News, UTVLifer

(10-12-2023, 01:17 PM)m_in_m Wrote:  It would feel respectful to Kirsty for the programme to change after she leaves but sadly I suspect finances will have to come first - especially with more significant cuts needed across the organisation.
Think it's reasonable to assume that the cut to Newsnight and extension of the One are most likely to come in April, with the start of the next financial year.

I'm guessing the BBC will also be hoping for the Huw Edwards situation to be resolved, one way or another. The same applies for the 5 news channel presenters, as freelancers are apparently proving costly.

Formerly 'Charlie Wells' of TV Forum.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Keith's post:
  • Superman1986

(10-12-2023, 11:15 PM)Keith Wrote:  Think it's reasonable to assume that the cut to Newsnight and extension of the One are most likely to come in April, with the start of the next financial year.
I would hope that Newsnight would wait until after the election, which could be anything up to 13 months away, but probably sooner.

Additionally, I hope the relocation of the One comes after the NWT upgrade so they can share the same studio. It could be made slightly larger than the standard IKEA sets to also allow room for a desk at one end.

The Breakfast/Sport studio on the ground floor can't accommodate a desk, and they have no way of getting one in/out of there now. That's probably why the spinning sofa platform arrived before the LED video walls were installed and completed (as we saw from the construction pics).

'Sofa News' may be OK for Breakfast, Sport or local magazine programmes, but in my mind if you're doing one of your three daily national bulletins from a sofa on your primary channel, then you've lost gravitas and visual credibility.

You may as well do it from a plug-in point in the Piazza outside while sat on a beanbag, and just hope it doesn't rain (which is unlikely in Salford most days).
[-] The following 2 users Like Stuart's post:
  • interestednovice, UTVLifer

(10-12-2023, 12:13 PM)oscillon Wrote:  Not sure if it hasn't been posted here already, but the schedule for 2-5 January is online:

www.bbc.co.uk 

Breakfast is indeed 6:00-9:30 since the 2nd of January...

... but BBC News will still opt out at 9am for an hour of Nicky Campbell.
To me it seems that Nicky Campbell's phone-in has been quietly dropped altogether, it hasn't been seen on the News Channel or BBC 2 for over 2 months. There's no obvious reason why it's not back on the News Channel or BBC 2 now.
[-] The following 2 users Like Radio_man's post:
  • interestednovice, UTVLifer

(10-12-2023, 11:15 PM)Keith Wrote:  Think it's reasonable to assume that the cut to Newsnight and extension of the One are most likely to come in April, with the start of the next financial year.
I imagine the extended One will appear once Doctors finishes, which is the end of next year. Newsnight is harder to guess as no timeframe was given, but I would not be surprised if it also happens towards the end of next year, after the UK and US elections.
[-] The following 3 users Like DTV's post:
  • interestednovice, Stuart, UTVLifer

(11-12-2023, 06:34 AM)Stuart Wrote:  I would hope that Newsnight would wait until after the election, which could be anything up to 13 months away, but probably sooner.

Additionally, I hope the relocation of the One comes after the NWT upgrade so they can share the same studio. It could be made slightly larger than the standard IKEA sets to also allow room for a desk at one end.

The Breakfast/Sport studio on the ground floor can't accommodate a desk, and they have no way of getting one in/out of there now. That's probably why the spinning sofa platform arrived before the LED video walls were installed and completed (as we saw from the construction pics).

'Sofa News' may be OK for Breakfast, Sport or local magazine programmes, but in my mind if you're doing one of your three daily national bulletins from a sofa on your primary channel, then you've lost gravitas and visual credibility.

You may as well do it from a plug-in point in the Piazza outside while sat on a beanbag, and just hope it doesn't rain (which is unlikely in Salford most days).

Whilst a desk would be preferable I don't think it's a big issue for the One and I'd rather they use that studio with the decent screen than what I assume would be a replica of the other regional news sets for North West Tonight, which will likely have a sofa/desk combo anyway.

The lunchtime news coming from that set will look more professional than the numerous times it comes from a newsreader standing outside Parliament or Downing Street IMO - something I guess will happen less often with the One if the presenter is based up North.

(11-12-2023, 06:34 AM)Stuart Wrote:  ...

Absurd to think of a BBC News curved bench as a "sofa" like a gogglebox family sit atop between George at Asda cushions, B&M home is where the heart is signs and an LED mood light under the shelves. It looks like every modern corporate office break out space.

Salford has big stand up screen positions, multiple video points. Most shots are MCU for a solo news programme when standpoints aren't used

You telling me having a solid red bar behind the presenters seat that's foam and red fabric rather than red perspex is such a deal breaker, that gravitas has evaporated through this switch? Did ITV lunchtime news gain this vital superiority when it moved to full height desk from the coffee table London side of the setup?

BBC News at 1 will be just fine on the Breakfast set
[-] The following 12 users Like Stockland Hillman's post:
  • ACTV, all new phil, AndrewP, bkman1990, Brekkie, DTV, eyeTV, JamieD, Matrix, Michael Wotton, Tim G, UTVLifer