BBC News Reforms

One thing they’ve been highlighting is the fact that once the news at 1 moves to Salford, bbc one daytimes live programs will all be based in the north. That’s got me wondering if it will be a more relaxed bulletin similar to breakfast giving it a “daytime” feel else it seems stupid moving it out of studio b.

I think it would end up downgrading (for want of a better word) if it was to come from the NWT studio. It wouldn’t be right if NWT ended up with a better studio than the other regions, as it would then start to feel as if it’s being treated as a “nation”.

Whilst Id prefer the one to stay in studio B, if they’re going to move it I’d rather it was in the breakfast studio with a different feel to the 6 and 10.

Slight tangent but I do think the breakfast studio is a 1000x better than studio b. It would have been nice if they’d have gone for something like that but just with a desk

Just a ident loving pres.fan from the East of England 
All spelling mistakes are my own #Dyslexic@Keyboard 
[-] The following 2 users Like ViridianFan's post:
  • Brekkie, Roger Darthwell

This sofa debate is a little bit confusing. The priority is going to be the 45 minute news bulletin on BBC One, not a 10 minute sports update on the news channel. They have three and a half hours to swap the sofa for a desk. If they want a desk then they'll put a desk in.

Take a look at this afternoon's Sportsday. They didn't use the sofa at all!
[-] The following 6 users Like TV Insider's post:
  • bkman1990, Brekkie, ginnyfan, Happy2001, interestednovice, Spencer

Quote:I think it would end up downgrading (for want of a better word) if it was to come from the NWT studio. It wouldn’t be right if NWT ended up with a better studio than the other regions, as it would then start to feel as if it’s being treated as a “nation

The One won't share the regional studio NWT will be using.

Quote:This sofa debate is a little bit confusing. The priority is going to be the 45 minute news bulletin on BBC One, not a 10 minute sports update on the news channel. They have three and a half hours to swap the sofa for a desk. If they want a desk then they'll put a desk in.

The sofa/desk are a fixed rig. They won't be coming out!
There may be provision for a desk somewhere else, but it'd have too be easily shifted. I suspect we will see quite a lot of standing by the towers, and fairly heavy use of the catwalk.
[-] The following 1 user Likes AM160's post:
  • Stuart

(11-12-2023, 06:54 PM)AM160 Wrote:  The sofa/desk are a fixed rig. They won't be coming out!
There may be provision for a desk somewhere else, but it'd have too be easily shifted. I suspect we will see quite a lot of standing by the towers, and fairly heavy use of the catwalk.

The rotating platform is a fixed rig and can not be removed. The sofas made up of three parts. It can be unbolted and removed if required.

This isn't a lazy DIY project. It's a big studio move that has a budget assigned to it to make the space suitable. Things can be planned, adapted and changed. And if the editorial requirement requires a desk then they will install a desk.
[-] The following 5 users Like TV Insider's post:
  • bkman1990, Brekkie, Jayesyn, thePineapple, Worzel

(11-12-2023, 07:25 PM)TV Insider Wrote:  This isn't a lazy DIY project. It's a big studio move that has a budget assigned to it to make the space suitable. Things can be planned, adapted and changed. And if the editorial requirement requires a desk then they will install a desk.

And in one little paragraph, the core BBC problem: Spends pointlessly when it wants but targets other unfashionable areas for extreme cuts.
[-] The following 8 users Like Stockland Hillman's post:
  • AndrewP, arbrax, bkman1990, interestednovice, James, Roger Darthwell, Scratch_Perry, Stuart

(11-12-2023, 06:54 PM)AM160 Wrote:  The One won't share the regional studio NWT will be using.

Where did you get this from. ?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chud's post:
  • Stuart

(11-12-2023, 06:34 AM)Stuart Wrote:  I would hope that Newsnight would wait until after the election, which could be anything up to 13 months away, but probably sooner.

Additionally, I hope the relocation of the One comes after the NWT upgrade so they can share the same studio. It could be made slightly larger than the standard IKEA sets to also allow room for a desk at one end.

The Breakfast/Sport studio on the ground floor can't accommodate a desk, and they have no way of getting one in/out of there now. That's probably why the spinning sofa platform arrived before the LED video walls were installed and completed (as we saw from the construction pics).

'Sofa News' may be OK for Breakfast, Sport or local magazine programmes, but in my mind if you're doing one of your three daily national bulletins from a sofa on your primary channel, then you've lost gravitas and visual credibility.

You may as well do it from a plug-in point in the Piazza outside while sat on a beanbag, and just hope it doesn't rain (which is unlikely in Salford most days).

I suspect you might be a mixed of surprised, happy and disappointed all at the same time!

(11-12-2023, 09:03 PM)Worzel Wrote:  I suspect you might be a mixed of surprised, happy and disappointed all at the same time!
An emotional roller-coaster sounds like fun. Tongue

(11-12-2023, 12:38 PM)Stockland Hillman Wrote:  Absurd to think of a BBC News curved bench as a "sofa" like a gogglebox family sit atop between George at Asda cushions, B&M home is where the heart is signs and an LED mood light under the shelves. It looks like every modern corporate office break out space.
I was using the same terminology as the presenters use when referring to it. It's certainly not like either of the sofas in my living room.

Height adjustable desks that can be switched between coffee table and desk height have been used before by BBC News. This feels like it would be a good use of that kind of set up.
[-] The following 2 users Like Steve in Pudsey's post:
  • Brekkie, Spencer

(12-12-2023, 01:24 AM)Steve in Pudsey Wrote:  Height adjustable desks that can be switched between coffee table and desk height have been used before by BBC News. This feels like it would be a good use of that kind of set up.

There's only one kind of height-adjustable desk I want to see in a BBC News studio:

ibb.co 
[-] The following 8 users Like LDN's post:
  • AndrewP, chaose, chris, Earlie37, Jayesyn, Quantum+83, Spencer, UTVLifer