BBC News Reforms

(29-11-2023, 04:47 PM)interestednovice Wrote:  I absolutely agree with all of this whole-heartedly. Especially with Salford totally being a box-ticking exercise, investment in NBH being under-utilised and management obsession with “digital BBC”.

All this mess for ''podcasts, live blogs and live streaming'' somebody should remind the BBC that it's a broadcaster

With the weekday changes it effectively means that during the day the non-simulcast/merged news will be from 9.30am to 1pm and 2pm to 6pm. It's probably wishful thinking but it would be great if they could have a news presenter/reporter provide a UK opt-out service on the News Channel during those hours.

With Newsnight I can't help feeling that they wanted to axe it, but felt there would be too much of a (political) backlash. Instead by shortening it and changing the programmes format they're able to reduce it's importance amongst viewers and politicians. Then in a year's time they can quietly axe it completely, potentially spinning it as being merged into an 'extended and enhanced' Ten news bulletin. Think of it is the equivalent of when they moved TOTP from BBC One to Two, before then axing it.

Formerly 'Charlie Wells' of TV Forum.

(29-11-2023, 03:34 PM)RDJ Wrote:  Main Points:
- Newsnight gets cut by 10 minutes and  share resources and reporters with BBC News, it will not have any dedicated Newsnight reporters.

- Newsnight will also lose it’s investigative format and revert to a studio-based debate format.

- Newsnight will also see it’s jobs slashed from 60 to less than 30.

- The One O’ Clock News will move to Salford and be extended to a full hour.
I'm curious what the reaction from union staff (notably NUJ members) about these proposals, I don't think they'll be happy with these changes.

Am I right in thinking that the relocation of the BBC News at One to Salford is to help meet "out of London" production quotas, which will be reduced due to the axing of Doctors, which is made in Birmingham?

(29-11-2023, 05:23 PM)Keith Wrote:  With the weekday changes it effectively means that during the day the non-simulcast/merged news will be from 9.30am to 1pm and 2pm to 6pm.  It's probably wishful thinking but it would be great if they could have a news presenter/reporter provide a UK opt-out service on the News Channel during those hours.
Costs are reduced with increased simulcasting of extended BBC One output, as theoretically the BBC NC does have a presenter on “standby” in case there is a need for a UK opt. However, this presenter will not be needed if there is already a UK-exclusive programme on air. So even if they do nothing else, the opt standby presenter will now have slightly shorter hours.

The simulcast output makes use of BBC One budget too, of course, so it is dirt cheap UK content to put on the NC.

(29-11-2023, 05:46 PM)GMc Wrote:  Am I right in thinking that the relocation of the BBC News at One to Salford is to help meet "out of London" production quotas, which will be reduced due to the axing of Doctors, which is made in Birmingham?

Probably not really, as the BBC over-deliver on those quotas anyway.

Very unfortunate, but ultimately hard to see what can be done (other than certain people's unhinged belief that all the rest of BBC output should be sacrificed to keep BBC News in stasis).

As I've said before, the reformatting of Newsnight is ghastly and valueless and it'd be better just to axe it outright and use the saving elsewhere. If I can guarantee one thing, it'll be that the new version will not 'high quality' or 'consequential'. Considering once-upon-a-time the BBC broadcast longform world reporting on BBC Two in addition to Newsnight, the axing of Our World is a further sign of how far BBC News' scope has fallen in the last two decades.

On the other hand, I fundamentally don't care if the News at One moves to Salford. "It's a box ticking exercise" "It'll make no difference to the viewer". And? Those boxes still have to get ticked as part of the BBC's charter and public service obligations and this is an easy way of doing it that will make little difference to the viewer.

Nick Watt paying tribute to Newsnight colleagues in this thread:

twitter.com 

And Emily Maitliss raising the point that the Prince Andrew interview wouldn't have happened under this format.

twitter.com 

(29-11-2023, 06:53 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  And Emily Maitliss raising the point that the Prince Andrew interview wouldn't have happened under this format.

twitter.com 

Did she interview Prince Andrew? She barely mentions it.

It is very sad when people lose their job, however I struggle to see what choice their was when hardly anyone watches the content. I think it should have been axed fully as I fail to see the point of the remains being wheeled out every night like a horror show.

People should strap themselves in, as AI moves into the industry, there will be massive massive adjustments to be made. This will have a great and significent impact on jobs, by the end of the decade it will really be in full swing. Not to mention the funding model which is likely to change so loss of income will only hasten the cuts. I would strongly erge anyone in the industry to retrain or think about doing so over the next few years. I am!

A poster mentioned cuts like these mean it makes the TVL less valauble, yes, that is the point. It may last another term, but beyond that is is likely to be gone.