New BBC News Website

An article I missed from last week - the non-UK version of the BBC News app is pivoting to become a general BBC app from what this article is saying

www.bbc.co.uk 
[-] The following 4 users Like arbrax's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, RhysJR, thePineapple

I had the new design for half a day the other day and found it quite clean and an improvement. Unfortunately it's back to the old style in the UK.

I wonder if there are plans to roll it out in the UK or if it's strictly for overseas and its appearance in the UK was a mistake.

The only thing I found odd was the way the article images faded slightly on hover on the homepage. That's not something I've seen much and was a strange effect.
[-] The following 1 user Likes pad's post:
  • UTVLifer

(16-03-2024, 11:43 PM)arbrax Wrote:  An article I missed from last week - the non-UK version of the BBC News app is pivoting to become a general BBC app from what this article is saying

www.bbc.co.uk 

Do you think this means the end of the BBC Sport app and the News and Sport icons?

youtu.be 

I just want the BBC News widget back!
[-] The following 4 users Like James2001's post:
  • AndrewP, arbrax, RhysJR, UTVLifer

(20-03-2024, 07:09 PM)WatchTower Wrote:  Do you think this means the end of the BBC Sport app and the News and Sport icons?

I can't see this change happening in the UK, think those icons are here to stay

(20-03-2024, 07:09 PM)WatchTower Wrote:  Do you think this means the end of the BBC Sport app and the News and Sport icons?

youtu.be 

I doubt it, it appears the separate apps are being maintained in the UK.

Tim Davie has previously suggested the future possibility of bringing all BBC services together in one offering, such as a single BBC app.

www.theguardian.com 

Perhaps with this change for international users, they’re testing the water for an eventual consolidation of the BBC’s services in the UK.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Spencer's post:
  • Brekkie

The new BBC website and international app now have a press release announcing the changes.

www.bbc.co.uk 

Someone posted earlier that the BBC News feed was showing at BBC.com now aswell. Using Chrome on my PC (no VPN) alongside Opera (America VPN) I can confirm that BBC News (international version with ads) is showing, and they have added a watch link next to the login button.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

[-] The following 1 user Likes mokked's post:
  • AndrewP

(21-03-2024, 10:27 AM)Spencer Wrote:  Tim Davie has previously suggested the future possibility of bringing all BBC services together in one offering, such as a single BBC app.

www.theguardian.com 

Perhaps with this change for international users, they’re testing the water for an eventual consolidation of the BBC’s services in the UK.

I guess there is a fee for listing each app so in that regard it makes sense - of course the BBC News and BBC Sport apps are long gone from smart TVs now. A mistake in both cases IMO - but not so much because the apps went but the content largely went too, or became trickier to navigate at least.

Are there any BBC apps beyond the six with icons?