Linear channels and the future

(19-12-2023, 05:59 PM)cable Wrote:  Linear channels are clearly dying unless you package it as a FAST channel so a focus on streaming was not necessarily wrong but in this case was misguided probably fuelled by the parent company wanting a brand that could be used across all its markets.
I think a lot depends on whether the channels are showing mostly new content, or mostly repeats.

Where it's mostly or entirely repeats then it's unlikely that channel will be viable in the long-term. With broadcasters having their own catch-up platforms they can show repeats via that facility, with adverts which cannot be fast-forwarded through (unless you pay a premium).

With channels that mostly show new and/or live content will probably still survive in the long-term. Viewers seem to be more likely to specifically watch those channels, as been demonstrated in recent years.

I think there's still a bit of consolidating to go with the streaming services. We've already seen Disney+ and Hulu merge, and now Peacock confirmed closing (at least in the UK). Similarly My5 and Pluto are also due to merge in the next year.

Formerly 'Charlie Wells' of TV Forum.
[-] The following 5 users Like Keith's post:
  • callumwatchestelly, dbl, interestednovice, Jeff, Spencer

Messages In This Thread
Linear channels and the future - by Keith - 20-12-2023, 12:29 PM
RE: Linear channels and the future - by Bluecortina - 21-12-2023, 10:55 AM
RE: Linear channels and the future - by Brekkie - 21-12-2023, 11:36 AM
RE: Sky TV presentation - by Rdd - 20-12-2023, 03:46 PM
RE: Sky TV presentation - by Spencer - 20-12-2023, 06:17 PM
RE: Sky TV presentation - by Brekkie - 20-12-2023, 06:23 PM