Jeopardy

(01-01-2024, 08:03 PM)eyeTV Wrote:  I did find it very dry and lacking in presentation elements I must say. But Stephen is a good host.

I didn't like Riddiculous (first time I have seen it) very boring.

I get a sense that ITV are waiting to see how Jeopardy does compared to Deal or No Deal with a view to only commissioning one of them.
I think Deal or No Deal is more or less guaranteed a recommission given how well it did. Even if Jeopardy performed even better it would probably be Tipping Point or Lingo that lose out.

I assume ITV must have got a really cheap deal for Jeopardy and Wheel of Fortune considering they’ve both come in at the same time from the same production companies and presumably making an Aussie version of each brings the cost down.

(01-01-2024, 08:13 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  And it doesn't even make sense as you'd never answer the questions set in the manner in which they right the answers.
Yes, they’re just questions written in the form of answers. The American audience won’t question it anymore as it’s just something that’s always been that way but it’ll be new to most of the audience and get on people’s nerves.

Agree with you, Brekkie - the Tipping Point slot doesn’t feel right. But my eight year old enjoyed it, there’s lots of ‘responses’ you can actually get at a range of levels. But for those used to Ben Shepherd, bright colours, sound effects and the like, it’s going to jar!

The Chase itself is a relatively high brow quiz but presented in a manner which makes it very accessible and feels right for ITV. Similarly Millionaire arrived and presented itself very differently to other question and answer formats - and really changed the game in terms of production design for game shows.

Even longer running high brow shows like Mastermind and University Challenge, who probably both come close to Jeopardy in terms of overall age, have production values that now feel quite modern and keep what are fairly high brow question and answer formats interesting to watch.

P.S. In other gameshow news it's 15 years today since the revival of The Krypton Factor. Indeed think it's now longer since that finished than it was 15 years ago since the original series ended.

I would put Jeopardy in the same category as Countdown, rather than super high brow like University Challenge or Mastermind.

It is quaint, and gentile, and is full of quirks and history (at least in the US).

ITV seems to be testing the waters of broadening it's range of gameshow content. It also has its less flashy more serious Millionaire show.

I would say, Wheel of Fortune is in the same genre as Play your cards right, and The Price is Right, where its full of flash, and fast paced, where the questions are a formality to get to the "active" parts of the format.

Jeopardy just feels so dry, flat and dated compared to other current quiz shows. If we’d all grown up with it, like in America, I guess we’d accept its slightly staid production style. But when audiences are used to tension beds, sound effects and flashy graphics these days, launching something new (to most people) that feels like it’s from a different era, I just can’t see working.
[-] The following 5 users Like Spencer's post:
  • Brekkie, Pips2022, Reith85, scottishtv, Stooky Bill

For me, flashy graphics, sound effects etc. are getting boring and I think it's about time we had something a bit different, even if it means going back to how things were a bit before we needed all the fancy bells and whistles to make us enjoy a show.

I know it's part of the format, but every answer having to be phrased as "what is [X]?" drives me up the wall. I find it sufficiently irritating that I feel it's unlikely I'll watch it again, having tuned in to see what today's first programme was like.
[-] The following 3 users Like DavidWhitfield's post:
  • Brekkie, Rxtx, Spencer

I just don’t know how the can drag it out to an hour when it’s on half an hour in the States.

Have ITV got a thing now where all game shows that were normally half an hour are drawn out to an hour?
[-] The following 4 users Like Gary McEwan's post:
  • Aaron, DE88, JLav25, thomash79

(01-01-2024, 08:31 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  The Chase itself is a relatively high brow quiz but presented in a manner which makes it very accessible and feels right for ITV. Similarly Millionaire arrived and presented itself very differently to other question and answer formats - and really changed the game in terms of production design for game shows.

Even longer running high brow shows like Mastermind and University Challenge, who probably both come close to Jeopardy in terms of overall age, have production values that now feel quite modern and keep what are fairly high brow question and answer formats interesting to watch.
That's the big difference between Jeopardy in the US vs Jeopardy in the UK, there it and Millionaire are the sole serious 'high brow' quiz shows. Here there are loads. It's lost a lot of its USP here - it's not got the prestige that winning Mastermind or Countdown has
[-] The following 1 user Likes Stooky Bill's post:
  • Brekkie

I'm pretty sure previous versions used to have at least a buzzer noise.