Jeopardy

(01-01-2024, 10:46 PM)eyeTV Wrote:  I'm pretty sure previous versions used to have at least a buzzer noise.

Yes they did, there's no buzzer noises in the US version though (well, not since 1985).

Catch me on:
Andover Radio: Weekdays from 7am-10am
Overton Radio: Weekdays 2pm-4pm, Weekends 8am-11am
[-] The following 1 user Likes Rob Francis's post:
  • Roger Darthwell

The question/answer thing might work if the answers weren't framed as questions and the questions as answers. Only Connect essentially has the same idea for its connections rounds but its done in a way where it feels like it's worthwhile and less pretentious.

(02-01-2024, 11:12 AM)Brekkie Wrote:  The question/answer thing might work if the answers weren't framed as questions and the questions as answers. Only Connect essentially has the same idea for its connections rounds but its done in a way where it feels like it's worthwhile and less pretentious.

It's going to take time to settle in but I think it will be a hit.

I like a good, proper general knowledge quiz but there's no getting away from it being a very dull format. Some of the questions and categories were quite good but it's just so dry.

Seems like a lot of the things are there just because they're iconic in the US, like the quaint typeface and ridiculous music (I don't know if that's in the American version, but it's the only possible explanation), but that'll mean nothing to virtually all the audience here.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Transmission's post:
  • Brekkie

Agree with the comment about the prize element - I'm still ensure whether they get that money from the final round, whether the winner gets their money, whether all the contestants get whatever is left, etc.

Also it was only when they said 'see you tomorrow' at the end that it became clear it was a winner stays on game.

Some basic format points which would have been useful!
[-] The following 1 user Likes steve's post:
  • Transmission

Yes the winner staying on is one redeeming feature of the format. But it wasn't properly explained.

I took it that only the winner banks the cash and they add to it if they continue to win shows. Presumably they can stay on as long as they keep winning.

I don't think the other 2 got any money. One of them bet everything in the final and the other guy they seemed to wipe out his remaining balance anyway on the screen.

(02-01-2024, 01:13 PM)eyeTV Wrote:  Yes the winner staying on is one redeeming feature of the format. But it wasn't properly explained.

I took it that only the winner banks the cash and they add to it if they continue to win shows. Presumably they can stay on as long as they keep winning.

I don't think the other 2 got any money. One of them bet everything in the final and the other guy they seemed to wipe out his remaining balance anyway on the screen.

What's to explain? The winner won and they'll be back again tomorrow.
[-] The following 1 user Likes bilky asko's post:
  • Nobby

Pretty decent overnight figures, it must be said.

x.com 

I’m not terribly sold on it (as much as I like the US version) - ideally, it ought to be done and dusted in 30 minutes and retaining the US look and feel (on Sony’s insistence?) appears to stifle it.

That and the three contestants have never been in my kitchen*

* (Sorry, couldn’t resist)
[-] The following 1 user Likes lookoutwales's post:
  • Rob Francis

(02-01-2024, 02:02 PM)lookoutwales Wrote:  That and the three contestants have never been in my kitchen*

* (Sorry, couldn’t resist)

Speaking of other Joapordy appearances on TV shows

i.ytimg.com 
Web Image

preview.redd.it 
Web Image

I wonder if our version operates on those rules 🤣
[-] The following 2 users Like James2001's post:
  • DE88, lookoutwales

(02-01-2024, 11:32 AM)Transmission Wrote:  I like a good, proper general knowledge quiz but there's no getting away from it being a very dull format. Some of the questions and categories were quite good but it's just so dry.

Seems like a lot of the things are there just because they're iconic in the US, like the quaint typeface and ridiculous music (I don't know if that's in the American version, but it's the only possible explanation), but that'll mean nothing to virtually all the audience here.
As far as I can tell, everything is identical to the US version except for them playing the first round twice, and the end credits being in the usual ITV generic style. There's shots of Stephen Fry in the titles, but I assume those just replace equivalent shots of the presenter (Ken Jennings) in the US version?